Tacos 1986 - New Tijuana-style stand w/ trompo in Hollywood

looks juicy

2 Likes

196577-131-FD185F4C

Koreatown spot is quite smart, though it lowers my chances of going by 50%… because of all the korean food over there.

2 Likes

Yeah odds for me just decreased to zero, so I’m glad I got to check it out when I did.

Por qué?

I don’t know what’s up with the food, but this guy really thinks he’s cute. After multiple Instagram boomerangs… of him, there’s a couple pictures of the tacos.

… this is interesting from elsewhere/elseone… i’m not very experienced in this style of tacos so they tasted great to me but what do i know.

" More familiar with all Baja style than any other taco.

With 1986, I can see what they’re doing with the home made tortillas made towards the back and the chunky style guac (regular guac for most, I assume, but baja style is typically that puree guac). I found the meat to be a mellow, the only flavor (unwelcome, at that) was the taste of pepper (on diezmillo, nonetheless). Didn’t taste like it was cooked that much, somewhat hard chewy.

The vampiro I ordered had an overcooked corn tortilla and didn’t really do that much to differentiate itself from anything other than the cooked ‘plate’ of cheese esconsed between the corn tortillas.

They were late to setup (they said 7:00 on the insta, opened at 7:45). It was cold. The line got long. Some buddies of the owner went to the side to order ahead. Owner seemed a tad arrogant.

Overall, I Mexicali Taco is still my go-to. Followed by Leos. Everything else is just inbetween (homestate wasn’t that bad, had that earlier today).

Tacos 1986 just wasn’t a pleasureable experience."

The vampiro at Mexicali is several steps better than what 1986 is serving.

3 Likes

That Mexicali vampiro is pretty hard to beat.

Me neither, but I like it. My problem was the over salting on this particular night… that and I haven’t had a Mexicali Taco taco so probably don’t know what I’m missing.

Went again tonight…got 3 adobada tacos, 1 adobada vampiro, and an asada mulita.

the adobada tacos are still outstanding…they’re going to be at the ktown spot officially now tues-sun (and mondays soon)

1 Like

I’m going to order it as shawarma taco next time i go

Just hit 7 tacos adobada back to back, definitely best taco in LA imo. God tier…

1 Like

Tried hard to get my boy to go as we were driving by but we had just had a ton of awful food in a suite at the Lakers and were way too full

1 Like

The dessert carts at Staples VIP level is where it’s at.

1 Like

Surprisingly decent garlic fries on the same VIP level.

1 Like

Threw my cart cheesecake out after a bite

1 Like

Eating at Staples is such an exercise in frustration.

Better to just eat at Broken Spanish or The Palm, either before or after the game. Heck, I’d rather even dine at El Cholo than anything at Staples. #LevysSucks

3 Likes

WP24 does a decent roast duck these days.

I’d never order food there but when you’re in the Fox suite and already several beers in and you’ve committed to start keto the next day, you just end up devouring rubbish

First time reading all this, thank you to any and all that have supported us. Im still very appreciative of all the criticism. I will def be more weary of all your comments. -vmd

5 Likes