Taqueria Los Anaya

Went for late breakfast today. Had the Shrimp Ceviche and Chilaquiles w/Lengua. We brought a bottle of Modelo and our happy waiter happily brought us a bottle opener. Such a happy place. :slight_smile: Yep, the Ceviche is delicious. Perfectly seasoned. I tasted a skosh of oil and asked the waiter who asked the chef who said yes, it has olive oil. Very nice. Not traditional, not regional, he just likes it. Oh and those perfectly lite, crispy housemade tortillas. :heart: Itā€™s really enough for two. But when thereā€™s barbacoa or lengua in the house my husband will not be eating seafood. His lengua heart still belongs to Chemaā€™s in Whittier he says. But I havenā€™t seen him happily chow down on a plate of food like that in ages. It was delicious.

2 Likes

Fantastic! Thereā€™s always beer across the street by the way. Asada on chilaquiles is the move for me for some reason. Lengua tacos though.

Oh I just realized, there is one thing that iā€™m not crazy about at this place compared to at others, itā€™s the sopes. Finally came up with 1 thing

1 Like

Yep @Nemroz. That was a good tip about BYOB. We did get it at the liquor store across the street. Really nice guy. He asked about my husbandā€™s t-shirt from Korea. Our oldest is a junior hockey coach and has quite a few Korean players. They do tournaments in Seoul every year.

Anywayā€¦

Oh yes, heā€™ll be working his way thru all the meats! :heart:

Mine would be the beans. I didnā€™t have any this time but IIRC I thought they were a little bland. But thatā€™s just me. A lot of folks love them.

Yep, we love having this place in the ā€˜hood. Thanks for reviving the thread and reminding everybody how great they are.

:taco:

Yea, i think itā€™s important to not always be going to and hyping new spots. We have some real gems here. Gish Bac is the other one in the neighborhood that iā€™m obsessed with.

1 Like

It is actually traditional and very regional to the Yucatan where there are olive groves. I always grew up with a drizzle of Olive Oil on my Ceviche, to me it adds a nice counterpoint to the acid and also a nice mouthfeel to the ā€˜cookedā€™ fish.

3 Likes

Yah, I was just thinking that I like to do reports on hidden gems and places that have been around for a while. Weā€™ll check out Gish Bac. I still havenā€™t been able to convince dear husband to check out Belizean Paradise and Iā€™m forbidden from going by myself. :smile:

1 Like

Hah! I thought that was incorrect and was hoping youā€™d weigh-in. I asked if it was regional and the waiter said it wasnā€™t, just the chefā€™s own recipe. But no biggie. Itā€™s delicious. Thereā€™s two tostadas and I ended up taking one home w/a bunch of chips. I added extra avocado. It was even better later. The flavors and oil had melded into the shrimp and it was actually less oily than at the restaurant. They have definitely fixed that over ā€˜cookingā€™ peeps were talking about. It was perfect.

2 Likes

Price continues to creep up. Ceviche and the barbacoa plate = $44 in NSD (Nemroz standard currency). Thatā€™s a bit much for lunch

2 Likes

with no drinks?

Nope. Work day

Yeah thatā€™s pricey

They donā€™t have a liquor license but you can byo if you ask.

in hindsight, i think he meant aquafrescas

Ahh fair enough I guess not everyone has a couple at lunch lol

1 Like

I only asked about drinks because $44 seems pricey for just two dishes w/ no drinks. But then again, itā€™s $44 NSD, so who knows what else he included in that price.

2 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™d like to know what the criteria is for NSD? That does seem a little pricey, but portions are big and the ceviche is two heaping tostadas.

NSD is a fully loaded USD currency. itā€™s just the total cost

Food cost + tax + tip (15-20%) = NSD lol

pretty simple reallyā€¦ it comes from a few times i mentioned what i paid for something only for people to come back at me with, yea but the menu say itā€™s blah blah blahā€¦ to me it makes sense to state what iā€™m actually paying

5 Likes

Like when you buy a car. There is the price of the car, then there are taxes and fees, so your drive-off-the-lot cost is higher than advertised.

2 Likes

There is definitely a price creep. Especially in the specials. I remain willing to pay it because the food is so well made, with good ingredients, and it doesnā€™t feel like a money grab to meā€“the cost of running businesses keeps going up! But Iā€™ve found myself going more for breakfast than dinner as the prices have increased.

2 Likes

Thank you.

Side note: Not talking about you @Nemroz. Iā€™m talking in general. But we have this weird habit of complaining how insulting it is that people expect certain ā€œethnicā€ foods to be cheap, then on the next thread (sometimes the very same thread, ahem, Capital Seafood in B.H) we complain when one of these restaurants raise their prices or charges for extras.