Tasty Savory Meat Pies and Pancakes - Beijing Pie House [Thoughts + Pics]

also, i understand kam hong gardens across the parking lot from BPH now also does a very good lamb noodle soup - and their noodles are apparently chow worthy again. i know KHG was known for their knife cut noodles, but i never did get a firm idea as to what region they seemed to represent, especially after they changed hands a few times.

Good to know. Thanks.

Finally!!!

The seaweed app was just right, not too much vinegar and not too much oil, the natural flavor shined thru.

Vinegar and Chilli Oil is a must to dip!!

Pumpkin Pork Shrimp Potstickers. Nice wrapper the filling was good but maybe slightly on the dry side.

The Xian Bings. Got the House and the Pork-Squash. The House has shrimp, pork, egg, woodear mushrooms.

Yup Iā€™m a fan of this place!!

Wushiland Boba at Focus Plaza.

Roasted Oolong Milk Tea (30% sugar). This is really really (cue Zoolander) good milk tea.
@beefnoguy ever had this in Taiwan? Iā€™m not sure how I feel about Ovaltine Latte and Red Bean Latte though

4 Likes

Sorry never heard of Wushiland, havenā€™t visited Taiwan since 2009! Iā€™m more into plain high mountain oolong these days (no sugar no milk).

But what can be worse than LaBobatoryā€™s Peipa Gao (Chinese cough syrup äŗ¬éƒ½åæµę…ˆč“å·č²ęž‡ę·č†) infused tea?

Iā€™m still bitter that they took their wonderful lamb noodle soup off the menu.

1 Like

Haha peipa gao!!!

Donā€™t know if itā€™s really good or if he is trying to be funny but that is some funny shit. I havenā€™t had that cough syrup in years. Lao Gan Ma next?

Where do you get your oolong from?

I friggin miss the Pie House. Used to go there a decade ago and always bought pork/pumpkin dumplings to take home. Lamb pies are the must there for us.

1 Like

Itā€™s most loquats, which is a yummy fruit.

Hi @thechez5,

Yah Iā€™m sad because I completely missed this menu item before they took it off. :frowning:

1 Like

Iā€™ll be in L.A. with my wife over the holidays and Iā€™m thinking about driving up to BPH as I drool over photos in this thread. Weā€™re staying at W. Olympic and Beverly Dr for 6 nights and mostly hanging out between Santa Monica and West L.A. since my cousin and his wife just moved to an apt. in Brentwood. Anyhow, would you consider this to be worth the drive (dumb question for L.A. probably, haha) as a lunch destination? I want to try the pork & green onion pancake w/ 2 split orders of the mixed 3 item pie + summer squash lamb pie (maybe the radish or wild vegetable as well) with beef rolls and fried leek/pork/shrimp dumplings. Iā€™m coming down from San Francisco btw and xian bing is completely new to me. Looks delicious though!!

1 Like

Non-food advice? We found that if we got on the road around 10AM and off by about 3PM it wasnā€™t awful.

1 Like

Thanks! Iā€™m not driving straight from SF this time thoughā€¦ well, I am but weā€™re spending 4 nights with my in-laws in OC so weā€™ll be driving into L.A. from Costa Mesa. Weā€™re leaving SF early anyhow because I want to try an have lunch at the old French Basque restaurant in Los Banos en route; about 2 hrs outside of the city. Iā€™m really happy that we have no plans our night of arrival because we usually have to check-in to a hotel, shower, change, and then rush over to an in-law dinner somewhere which I hate. Thankfully, our hotel is across the courtyard from Vaca in the South Coast Plaza, so we can roll in whenever we happen to arrive and then take it easy before making our way downstairs for a low-key spread of embutidos, quesos and some light tapas with wine/cocktails. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds just glorious.

Yes I would consider it a destination restaurant for very good Northern Chinese. Since you are here you might want to consider another spot. Fortune No 1 is nearby you can get one of their jianbing to share. Corner Beef Noodle House does an excellent Beef Noodles and plus SF doesnā€™t have very good Taiwanese.

You could hit up Labobatory for very inventive drinks post lunch at BPH. Boba Guys ainā€™t got shit on this guy.

1 Like

Speaking of jian bing, have you tried this place?

Costa Mesa is pretty good tooā€¦

Taco Mariaā€¦aguachile and quesadilla
ST Patisserie
Portola Coffee
Sidecar Donuts
Mistsuwa Food Courtā€¦Gyutan Tsukasa and Santouka
Ramen Rowā€¦Kitakata and a new chicken ramen place Kashiwa (I think)
Chicken Maisonā€¦great quick casual lunch

2 Likes

Nope but I been meaning tooā€¦

No

1 Like