Thanksgiving Leftovers rundown

Can’t we start one and ask @ipsedixit to split this thread over to the new thread?

I’m good with it. But I don’t know how much action we’ll get at this late stage. You see @wienermobile is already off to Brent’s.

So anyone still interested give us a thumbs up. Someone gave me an uncooked turkey and I plan on figuring out how to spatchcock it. So I’m in!

I have a lot of turkey and three quarts of turkey stock I made yesterday. And stuffing.

1 Like

Yay! Let’s get started.

Oh, for goodness sake. I just started a thread because I thought @ipsedixit mighnot be around. Delete my topic?

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving, invisible moderator. :poultry_leg:

1 Like

Well you cant see the filling but I will get it started since I mentioned it!

3 Likes

Turkey broth simmering.

Very basic: Carcass and odd turkey bits, carrot/onion/celery, thyme/parsley/bay leaf, pepper, 5 quarts water. I ended with three quarts of medium-gel broth.

6 Likes

TURKEY JOOK!
Been making it for years, think it was from Melanie Wong on that ‘other’ sites S.F. Board…

3 Likes

A slice of maple custard pie from The Pie Hole in a bowl of fresh whipped cream. Does that count? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

hahahhaha you are half way to a great milk shake :wink:

3 Likes

Ended up with a rather large amount of leftover mashed potatoes (not sure why I thought five pounds of potatoes for two people was a good idea…actually, it was a good idea but we ran out of the other leftovers and still had a lot of spuds left).

So I diced up a packet of Tofurky vegan kielbasa, sauteed that with onion, tossed in some shredded brussel sprouts, and stirred in maybe 1.5 pounds of the mash.

Smooshed it down in the frying pan to get a crust, then stirred and flipped a couple of times to scatter the crunchy bits - couple grinds of black pepper and onto the plates.

Insanely good. Significant other has requested a repeat.

As of tonight we’re out of leftovers. SNIFF

4 Likes

Damnit, why didn’t I think of that… Next time! Thanks! :grin:

2 Likes

That looks great!

Sounds familiar. What’s in it?

Good idea. I froze some mashed potatoes & greens. Haven’t had Tofurky sausage. Must get on that for my vegetarian.

1 Like

Cleaning out the fridge (ignore the mess, please.).

All the Thanksgiving leftovers went into a glass dish: turkey, stuffing, creamed peas and onions, plus a white sauce and frozen peas and carrots.

Now all I have left is my turkey broth. The boy is sad. He wishes I had saved everything for more turkey sandwiches.

3 Likes

That’s funny. I was just going to ask, what about that great broth?

I’m with the boy. I love leftover turkey sandwiches.

P.S. I haven’t forgotten to post my leftovers. That free, uncooked turkey didn’t smell so good. Trash day! I’m getting a better bird from WF and I borrowed this ginormous Dutch oven from this woman who starts her turkey on top of the stove. That will be my latest food experiment… expect reports… did that sound like a threat?

1 Like

Leftover Collard Greens w/2 Cans of rinsed Northern White Beans (earthquake food), Onions, Garlic, Chili Powder, Tomato Paste, TJ’s Chicken Broth Concentrate, Bulgar (gotta’ have a grain), Red Wine Vinegar, sprig of really pungent fresh Thyme, Bay Leaf, my obligatory dollop of Vegan Mayo & White Bread Toast Points

Humble and comforting.

3 Likes

That is excellent. Not like leftovers at all. Kudos!

1 Like

Greens

Rinse & soak collards, mustard greens (I usually use a trinity but store didn’t have turnip greens), sauté bacon, onion, garlic, crushed red pepper, add greens to sauté, leftover turkey thigh, water, turkey stock, red & white vinegar, raw sugar, black pepper, hot sauce, salt at the end if needed. If it’s too sharp or acidic add a dollop of butter.

3 Likes