The $6 meal thread - Where can I eat delish for $6?

you gotta do the lafa at joe’s…

5 Likes

not to hijack, but:
jeepers, does anyone in town serve a decent pita?

I liked the one at Lodge - served with their shakshuka. I haven’t seen it sold seperately though. And I don’t think any pita that I’ve tried is destination-worthy.

it’s always kinda amazed me in this burg chock full of pita friendly cuisine, everyone
uses the same shitty pita.
o.k., it costs more, but geeez. so many kebabs, falafels, dips and such and so little
good pita for it to play with.

1 Like

Lodge makes their pita, and it’s good for a pita, but I might not be a pita kinda guy.

The Golden Olive in Huntington Beach makes their own pita. Better than any of the stuff from bags I’ve had elsewhere. I doubt it’s worth the drive, but perhaps?

It is weird that more people don’t do it.

Bibi’s bakery makes awesome fresh pita, I’ve had it served with their hummus and its delish.
Bibi’s Bakery and Cafe
8928 W Pico Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90035

I think the pita @ Ta-eem (on Melrose) is really good. You can get a stack to go.

1 Like

tried the recently opened ah may burmese restaurant in rosemead. i like them better than yoma.

a lot of the menu is priced $5.50 & $6.00 NOTE: a lot of people who know them (apparently they ran their business out of their home for over a decade before opening this place) ordered stuff that’s not on the menu; the people sitting next to us had a plate of offal including ears and intestine. if i’d only known before we’d ordered.

the person (native myanmar/burmese) at the next table wasn’t crazy about the mohinga but i thought it the most substantial rendition 'i’ve had (yoma/ daw yee/ nadi) in LA.

everyone at our table also really liked the chicken coconut soup

as well as the udon noodle salad

my only complaint was that the tea leaf salad suffered from a dearth of fresh… leaf matter; all the vegetable matter had been fermented and had a mushy texture. there was plenty of fried crunch, nut sourced crunch, but no vegetable crunch. kinda like listening to a speaker that flattened out all useful output at 100Hz; it just didn’t sing.

1 Like

I wish everywhere (or at least somewhere) made their tea leaf salads like Mandalay in SF:

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/mandalay-san-francisco?menu-item=tea-leaf-salad-lap-pat-dok&start=3&select=zfgiyneBAGKVWzrh5by1SA

i wish everywhere made their tea leaf salads like they do in yangon and bagan.

Jasmine market has chicken biryani for 6.99 along with other curry dishes served with rice naan and curry.

While their chicken biryani isn’t zam zam good its still pretty tasty esp at that price point.