The Apple Pan Has Changed Ownership

Respectfully disagree.
Places like Musso and Frank or Apple Pan are the sum of parts, many of which can’t be replicated.
Recently, places that were simply rejuvenated lost their magic. Cole’s is nice, but it isn’t really Cole’s anymore. Cliftons is . . . uh . . . just wrong and failing to boot.
I mean, I’m not judging the new owners of Apple Pan. But . . . any expansion location is just going to be a Disney-like simulacrum.

Morton’s charges $14 for a slice of key lime and I regretfully pay it every single time.

Yeah, but that’s key lime. It’s worth it. I’m not so sure about banana pie.

I remember when I ate there the one time, I recall feeling that they were charging for nostalgia b/c I couldn’t understand why the prices were so high. But, when I looked at the menu on-line yesterday, the prices didn’t seem so high, so I thought I was misremembering. But perhaps I was not…

I don’t think anyone’s making a value judgment of the new owners being “good” or “bad” for trying to expand the business.

I personally just think that history (based on the little I know) indicates that, when the success of a business is largely tied to its location/historical context (b/c, let’s be honest, it’s not just about the food here, to put it diplomatically), trying to transport that to another location (even if it superficially looks similar) doesn’t often work.

Exhibit 1: Roberta’s

Tha’s how they get me. Every time I go, I think it’s not so bad, but I never get out of there under $23. The same meal at in n out is… well not $23. I do like the burgers tho, the fries are so-so.

… and now, taking credit cards! Will wonders never cease?

3 Likes

Damn technology. The paper come cups will hopefully stay

The what?

3 Likes

Paper cone cups, I think.

3 Likes

Who makes a smash burger with that delish red relish? anyone?

There are Smashburgers in Redondo and Carson. Others seem temporarily closed.

1 Like