The Bang Bang Thread

You’re probably right. Some of the recipes indicated references to brown sugar in the recipess, while others used rock sugar. I think it might also be a particular Taiwanese sugar that may be similar to a turbinado sugar. Whatever the case, thanks for posting the pix.

they were solid. the pork bun was the most traditional minus the pickled mustard greens and not too sweet. i really enjoyed the fried fish bao, it was like a filet-o-fish bao.

[quote=“PorkyBelly, post:16, topic:4560”]
former pok pok phat thai location
[/quote]Wait? Pok Pok is gone?

Pok Pok Phat Thai is gone. Not Pok Pok.

Ahhh… okay gotcha’

#The Slutty Gbang Gbang
Banging is my cardio

#Gjusta
aspen ridge prime rib butcher with extra horseradish

brisket butcher with au jus

purple sweet potato pie #purpleisafruit

pumpkin pie #pumpkinisafruit

#Eggslut Venice
Zero line today around 2.
bacon egg & cheese - hardwood smoked bacon, cage-free over medium egg, cheddar cheese and chipotle ketchup in a warm brioche bun.
So slutty it makes paris hilton look classy.

11 Likes

Had the brisket Banh Mi cuz they were out of fixins for the Italian. For some reason, I enjoyed this much more than in the past. I think Gjusta might be pickling the veggies longer/more intensely. The contrast in flavors were more pronounced.

Anyway, really surprised about no line at Eggslut. Was avoiding it today thinking the about standing in line on Pacific.

3 Likes

Pie thoughts?

1 Like

They were both great, they weren’t too sweet, the sweet potato was nice and think and i really liked the candied orange on the pumpkin pie. They don’t quite beat out their fucking carrot cake though.

4 Likes

Carrot cake and olive oil cake is what I had to settle for.

Ouch 0 for 3 at gjusta, i guess there are worse things than having to settle for their carrot cake.

I need to try their banh mi again, how was the olive oil cake?

:raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands:

Fuck I want carrot cake now. And that purple pie.

And prime reeeeeeeeeeeb.

3 Likes

I thought the olive oil cake was great. Just a hint of the scent of olive oil, moist, sweeter than the carrot cake but not cloying, and was great with a cuppa Joe. My wife didn’t care for it.

I think this is the third time trying the brisket Banh Mi. The first couple of times was eh - but this time, the brisket tasted richer and the contrast of flavors was greater. I split the Banh Mi with my wife - she gave me half of her falafel sandwich. Not many places in the world one can get those two sammies at one sitting.

6 Likes

[quote=“PorkyBelly, post:28, topic:4560”]
purple sweet potato pie #purpleisafruit
[/quote]:kissing_heart: I am so putting that on my vanity thread “Purple & Raspberry Foods”. Don’t try to stop me.

Nice looking slutty (funny btw) egg sandwich. Could the cheese have been a little more melty?

1 Like

It could have been a little warmer, but i’ll give them a pass as it was only their 3rd day open.

1 Like

Oh no!!! Now someone else has to learn about “with au jus.” LOL.

Is that an inside joke?

It got raised occasionally on CH. “au” means “with.” There are worse crimes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okie dokie. Feel better.

#The Uni Rice Bang Bang

#POT
beep beep - uni dynamite rice

#Terra Cotta
The menu had me at “uni rice”
Uni rice - hot stone rice with seaweed, ikura, caviar and sea urchin

11 Likes