The Bang Bang Thread

Yup. And youngin’s. And 'hood folks. If one truly identifies oneself as a Californian (native or not), one usually identifies with and falls into subsets.

“Cali” is too broad - no identity unless you’re facin’ down East Coast vs. West Coast, etc. SoCal, NorCal, Angeleno, Val, Eastside, Westside, etc. is more likely for those who establish roots here.

2Pac was from NY.

JKB’s lyrical reference confirms “Cali” is a valid reference for California.

See above.

1 Like

He may be from NY but he’ll forever be associated with west coast hip hop.

1 Like

I thought saying Cali disappeared along with bling , crib , and aiight .:laughing:

1 Like

I’m Going Back to Cali

1 Like

LMAOROTF::vulcan:

And??

Like I said locals who bang or those involved with street culture use “Cali”.

And you think locals from South Central, Crenshaw, The Jungle cared that Pac used that term? Or chin check him for that? LOL

No because they use it too

Just like the ese’s from Eastside, HLP, Norwalk, HP, Santana,

And the Flips from NELA to SE LA County

And the Samoans in South Bay

And the Chinese and Viets from Chinatown to Lincoln Heights to SGV to Little Saigon

Some of u guys know what’s up, most are sheltered or naive

2 Likes

Biggie’s Going Back is better

1 Like

2 Likes

Oh for fuck’s sake, please take your “I’m a TRUE Californian!!!1” bullshit and shove it up your self-righteous ass.

Haha preppy aZn

On the real you don’t fuk with Asians back in the day.

Plain tshirts, Ben Davis shorts/pants, dyed bangs slicked back with a buzzed head, extra long buckle belt.

Shoot (no pun intended) I remember Aladdins Castle arcade at Del Amo mall, shit went down over there, not when I went, but there used to be Security too, you could see all types of gang bangers

Cali Cali Cali Cali Cali…

The only self righteous people are the ones who think Cali is not used by locals…

I am just giving you guys the Red Pill answer.

I was born and raised in L.A. - some people say Cali, others don’t. For those in L.A. county, neighborhood or area code was typically used more than state references, or conversely, locational references broadened with west coast/westside.

I always find myself psychologizing posters (sorry all haha) - narratives of masculinity and toughness, narratives of adventure and discovery - hinting at danger - with the foodie “slumming” it. I must admit I don’t understand posturing on a food board, but more importantly, there’s no need to create narratives that exclude and shame those with different experiences, understandings, and upbringings.

3 Likes

Shut up - I’m way tougher than you - or at least I’ve seen bangers who are - just kidding.

2 Likes

Santa Ana Bang b4 Casablanca showing

Expected 4th St Market? Not!

Mariscos Los Corales:

Los Reyes Del Elote:

Would write more but this iPhone is a piece of shit

2 Likes

What are those amazing looking tacos?

The 1st pic?

Tacos Gobernador, shrimp and cheese. That green sauce is no joke.

These tacos should be more of a “thing”

2 Likes

I have to retract my statement.

I see why Moruno is going out of business. Their closing at the Grove may have been a poor location choice despite excellent food, but it is clear that the food is made to a far lower standard at Bar Moruno at the GCM. It is rightfully going out of business. I was expecting to grab some gunpowder fries and squash with dukkah for old times sake before they left, expecting the same splendor as at their old location, and was met with tremendous disappointment.

The Gunpowder Friess were mostly soft, not properly fried, and overseasoned. At the Grove location they were always perfectly crisp, soft inside, delicately seasoned, and superb; some of the best fries I ever had in LA, so it was shocking to see such a poorly executed version here. They were just barely passable with the garlic sauce.

The Squash with Dukkah* was even worse, actually bordering on inedible. The dukkah itself was flavorful, but the swash was almost raw and tasted awful. I think think they were roasting the honey directly into the squash before? Or had a better oven? I have no idea, but when I last had this dish it was luxurious, flavorful heaven, amongst the best squash preps I have ever had. I actually gave it away to someone more in need of food than myself. I almost felt bad giving it away… but I suppose not everyone is as concerned with palate maintenance as me.

I attempted to cleanse my palate at G&B, their new later hours (till 8PM) are highly appreciated, but the 20 minutes wait to get the espresso when they weren’t particularly busy was a bit odd. Hopefully a rare hiccup in service for what is typically a more tightly run ship.

Good shot that washed out the taste of a horrible shot I had at Steelhead Coffee earlier in Long Beach on the way to LA, though Steelhead’s cold brewed coffee has become one of my favorites in the LA area.

At least I won’t mind that Moruno is gone forever now I suppose. (Shockingly, however, many people must’ve had the same idea as me, because the bar at 6:30 was nearly full…).