The Bang Bang Thread

That’s a glorious lookin’ FoF!!

:heart_eyes:

1 Like

LAX bang-bang
Coni’Seafood - marlin tacos

Chubby Rice - General Tso’s Chicken with lap cheong fried rice and veggies & Fried pork chop sandwich with tater tots

8 Likes

#The I’m A Shellfish Person Bang Bang

#FWD
12 peruvian scallops, 6 mussels, 4 oysters, 4 shrimp, 1/2 lobster

new england clam chowder - neuske’s bacon, weiser farm potatoes, house made oyster crackers

shrimp and grits - geechie boy white corn grits, mexican shrimp, gumbo sauce, free range egg

key lime pie - graham cracker crust, italian lime meringue

#Holbox

Cocktel de camaron - shrimp, avocado, house made sauce, onion, cilantro, lime

Uni and yellowtail ceviche tostada - santa barbara uni, yellowtail, onion, cilantro, tomato, salsa roja, avocado

scallop al carbon - live diver scallop cooked in its shell over wood grill with x’catic chile sauce

12 Likes

Uni looks better now. There is hope…

2 Likes

BANG BANG SUCCESS
HOLBOX > REVOLUTIONARIO
(This was a bit ago, but I still revel in its great success)

BANG BANG FAILURE
BEST NOODLE HOUSE > DONUT MAN
(When Donut Man is closed for the holiday weekend, but you didn’t know and still drove all that way, and now you don’t have no donut for your drive back to LA where everyone will ask you, “How was that donut from Donut Man??” and you’ll lie and say, “Oh, it was great,” and they’ll know you’re lying and say, “Why was it so great? Describe it to me in detail,” and you’ll break down on the spot, covering the sidewalk in tears, confessing the sham and shame of it all.)

7 Likes

Bing bang bong on Saturday. Went to Superba on Lincoln in Venice to pick up pastries and desserts. Couple that with an unexpected trip to K-town-adjacent, I ended up grabbing a couple of birds at Pollo a la Brasa.

Bing - Superba truly does a beautiful job on the aesthtics of their pastries. Most actually taste as good as they look too. Their guava cream cheese croissant is a standout. It’s a big loud beast oozing with guava preserves and cream cheese (it might actually be something like creme fraiche blended with cream cheese). Their rueben croissant is a nice savory counter to all the sweets.

Bang - the birds from Pollo a la Brasa were so moist with a nice bronzing on the skin. The roasting process involves wood as opposed to gas, so the kiss of wood smoke adds a nice complexity. You can’t miss this place on Western - just follow the smell of smoke and look for the stacks of firewood.

Bong - like banging the gong on The Gong Show. I mentioned picking up dessert at Superba as well. Banana cream pies that were so beautifully constructed were calling to me. Rectangular in shape with perfectly scalloped waves of whipped cream on top, I couldn’t resist. I was so looking forward to these after downing the pollo a la Brasa, but the pies were so meh on flavor, and the crusts were super hard - needed a knife to pierce and break the crust apart in order to eat it. Mean Gene the Dancing Machine - set the hooks and drag these underperformers off the stage please. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

I like to think outside of the bun with my bang bangz…

PIZZANA > CHAUMONT BAKERY

What kept me going was the repetitious chanting of @PorkyBelly’s mantra “THIS IS HOW I CUT CARBS”

5 Likes

Eggslut is too squishy for me. As a soft-scrambled egg lover, there is something odd and runny about the eggs, and the bun is too rich. The whole thing is overwhelming to me.

I’m glad you were able to cut the carbs after your carb loading at felix.

1 Like

It is a rich sandwich and it is quite messy, but it is tasty to me. I usually add turkey sausage and get it on a biscuit so not as much squish factor.

#Nambankan
I was a bit underwhelmed with dinner most of the skewers were under seasoned and I had to use the provided togarashi to give it some flavor. The scallops, lamb chop, shrimp and squid looked great but were sadly overcooked. Highlights were the tsukune, heart, dark meat with scallions, and eggplant.

black cod

stuffed shiitake

:chicken: hearts

:pig: belly

:chicken: knees

dark meat :chicken: and scallions

:chicken: balls

:chicken: wings

asparagus wrapped with :pig:

dried :fish:

quail :egg:

:sheep: chop

:shrimp:

japanese :eggplant:

:squid: legs

onion

:chicken: skin

:chicken: kidneys

:chicken: neck

:corn:

#Popcorn chicken
Hokkaido milk slush
Stick with volcano down the street

popcorn chicken
These were okay, their “secret” seasoning tasted like too much five spice and cinnamon.

#Artelice Patisserie
Filling was really good, my favorite was the exotic. My only nit was the the outer shell on the exotic and cheesecake had this sticky, elastic, rubbery texture so it was like trying to eat through a melting racquetball.

yuzu tart

cheesecake fraise - lemon and vanilla cream cheese mousse with strawberry insert and sable cookie

exotic - pistachio sponge, mango, banana, passion fruit insert with Caribbean cocktail (pineapple, coconut, lemon, and passion fruit) mousse

7 Likes

I’m always reluctant to ask this question… What did all that cost? More than $100?

Did you speak to them or send back any of the subpar ‘dishes’?

Oh i forgot to mention even though i had a “reservation” they wanted me out in 1.5 hours, so no i didn’t send anything back on account of me trying to stuff my face before they kicked out.

5 Likes

Thanks for the report @PorkyBelly and the warning about Nanbankan. It’s close by and convenient, yet we’ve always avoided it based on lack of great reviews and none of my friends from Japan want to eat there.

For the exotic, was the tough outer shell like eating… fondant? :frowning: Bummer. How did it compare with the exotic from ST Patisserie? Thanks.

1 Like

Yes it was kind of like fondant but harder to cut through and eat. the shell didn’t stick to the filling so when you try and take a bite it would stick to your fork and come completely off the cake. I liked ST Patisserie better.

1 Like

Can’t remember exactly. But I think the pastries and desserts together were approximately $80. I don’t remember how much the two birds plus fixins we’re.

Funny I just did a hide sushi popcorn chicken bang bang. Had a rezzy at nanbankan but cancelled when my friend said that he preferred sushi.

1 Like

It was the only way I was going to fit into a bikini in time to eat loaded nachos on Catalina.

3 Likes

[quote=“PorkyBelly, post:368, topic:4560”]
Nambankan
[/quote]Things do look a little over cooked. I see you had the G-Rated version of that chōchin thing you were searching for.

Jeez, golly, jees, Artelice sure makes stuff look pretty.