The Bang Bang Thread

At least a couple of mentions have been made - positive - about the macarons. I’ve been ignoring those to my detriment.

The desserts are beautiful. But the wallflowers of the bunch - the eclairs - have been our favorites thus far. So my next visit will be the eclairs and the macarons.

1 Like

[quote=“bulavinaka, post:378, topic:4560”]
The desserts are beautiful. But the wallflowers of the bunch - the eclairs.
[/quote]They always are. We’re looking for the new and blingy. But really, is there anything better than a good eclair?

Looking forward to your macaron critique. I’m storing data for my overdue report. :slightly_smiling_face:

Don’t know. But since we are bangbanging, a fine crostata with perfect strawberries (paired with a cuppa artisanal siphon coffee from Balconi, just next door to Artelice) comes pretty damn close.

11 Likes

…or a fine crostata with perfect strawberries. :slightly_smiling_face:

Balconi really is excellent and thats a damn fine looking crostata

1 Like

@J_L and @TheCookie, perfect strawberries are Harry’s right now. Gaviotas are so fragrant and sweet. The Mara de Bois variety are super fragrant and taste of Concord grape and candy.

5 Likes

Don’t I know it, my friend (as I munch on one certain gaviota from the SMFM this AM)…

3 Likes

Yes! It’s time for a nice day at the Farmers Market. Thanks!

1 Like

A good canelé (with a nice after-dinner drink, like some Camut calvados or good armagnac) is a contender. Not necessarily better than an eclair, but a contender.

3 Likes

OK @BradFord, you’ve not answered the implied question you’ve posed. Where are your favorite canelés? :grin:

1 Like

Okay… now you guys are getting all fancy on me. I didn’t literally mean there isn’t anything better than a good eclair. :roll_eyes: I was pointing out that we sometimes overlook things considered passé for the shiny new toys. But carry on, this is fun.

Ok I’m going to sound like a broken record, but Saison in SF had some great caneles for dessert. They’ve since rotated them out, but they were a fantastic end after a good soufflé. I had some great ones in Paris at local bakeries whose names I don’t remember (wasn’t one of the destination places like Genin); it’s been a while. Madame Monsieur in LA has some pretty good ones. I’m due for another LA visit soon, then I can properly contribute to this Bang-Bang thread.

3 Likes

Okay, but now that I think about it, I do like an eclair better than the other desserts mentioned. I’m a sucker for pastry with oozing custardy stuff and a slick of dark chocolate on top. :fist:t4: And I don’t mean that in a sexual way… but you guys will take it anyway you want.

1 Like

Is sasion still serving the minature versions of the caneles for dessert? I thought the flavor was good but the whole exterior to interior texture ratio was thrown off with such a small size.

1 Like

The hazelnut eclair was really good as well.

…of course it is.

#The :poop: :fire: Bang Bang

#Jitlada
crispy morning glory salad - deep-fried morning glory topped with shrimp in a spicy house dressing
Perfect balance of sweetness and heat from the dressing, cruchiness from the fried morning glory and freshness from the shrimp.

crying tiger pork - marinated pork with spicy sauce on the side
Delicious

plaa pear - deep fried red snapper fish fillets with dried coconut and curry sauce topped with crispy basil
Crispy goodness.

pumpkin soft-shell crab - deep fried soft-shell crab in a dry Southern curry with pumpkin
Eat the crab in the middle covered with the curry first, lest you eat soggy flaccid crab.

tamarind tiger prawns - grilled tiger prawns with sweet tamarind sauce
The prawns were slightly overcooked but still solid.

#Dave’s Hot Chicken
This place is literally in a parking lot in the middle of Thai town with only two tables and about ten chairs. They were a bit disorganized opening up 30 minutes late. I tried both mild and hot, the hot was about a howling ray’s medium level, but it didn’t have the different flavor notes of howlin ray’s, all i tasted was hot. The chicken was moist and juicy with a slight crunch. The kale slaw was surprisingly good, fries were forgettable.

But my biggest issue is their sanitation. They’re already cooking in a dirty parking lot so I would think they would be extra careful, but I watched as the main guy preparing everybody’s food walks over to adjust the gate and a dirty extension cord they have lying on the ground and without changing gloves goes back to preparing the food. And the guy handling all the money is also touching all the food too. I was hoping to get :fire: :poop: from the spices not norovirus, thanks.

tenders, fries, kale slaw

5 Likes

Nice to see an update with pix on Jitlada. I haven’t gone back for years as I found the service slow and severely lacking. I wasn’t expecting 3-star white glove, and know what to expect at Asian eateries, but… Also felt the seafood didn’t taste fresh (being nice) to me on the second/last try.

What’s your overall take and how was the service?.

3 Likes

I know. Sometimes it’s hard to tell because his pictures are so pretty. It all looks so great @PorkyBelly. Once again, just what I would order.

2 Likes

[quote=“PorkyBelly, post:394, topic:4560”]
the main guy preparing everybody’s food walks over to adjust the gate and a dirty extension cord they have lying on the ground and without changing gloves goes back to preparing the food. And the guy handling all the money is also touching all the food too.
[/quote]Such an issue of mine :rage:. Well, probably everyone’s. I’d be that irritating person who said something. FYI - amongst the other things they did, money touching and food touching is a health code violation! I thought it couldn’t be the same person.

2 Likes