The Bang Bang Thread

Tacos Arabes los Originales de Puebla.

Was hoping for goat mixiote, but they stopped doing it I guess. The Tacos Arabes are great though. The pita tortillas have the best qualities of both; toasty and crisp. Good quality lamb, fresh Oaxacan cheese and avocados sauce with a bunch of the red Arab sauce which is sort of like BBQ and salsa. Some of the most unique tacos in LA.

The Torta Cubanas at Super Torta’s DF have gone up in price by $2 to $10 from $8, but they’re still spectacular. A million ingredients, fresh crispy bread and an addictive sauce. Just awesome.

Just 4 blocks away from Super Tortas DF is Tire Shop Taqueria. I messed up the pictures but let me just say, the cabeza is absurdly good. So tender and funky but sticky like pollo prensado… wow the chorizo is also nice. The Mulitas are awesome as well; I like how much the masa shows off in the mulita. The Asada remains very juicy and incredibly savory but slightly less smoky than than La Carretta. However their masa tastes so incredible I would rather eat at TTT typically. Why can’t every taquiera make fresh tortillas like this???

Great bang, only cost $40 with tips and a monstrous horchata that I forgot to photograph.

What a place LA is.

8 Likes

Damn that is a great Mexican Bang!

For someone that has never actually eaten here, can you provide any insight to how these ribs might be prepped? I like hawaiian food, and I have access to a smoker and beef ribs, so if I save myself the 45 mile drive by doing it myself I’d rather do that…

I think it’s pineapple juice and soy sauce. That’s how I do Hawaiian chicken, anyway.

My guess would be marinaded in soy and sugar. Then roasted covered with foil until tender. After, glazed with soy and sugar and kissed on the grill to reheat.

The key is to make it not too salty from the soy and not too sweet from the sugar.

But IMO da Mac potato salad and two scoops white rice completes the experience. Dat beef grease placed atop the two mounds of white rice is how I roll. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

seems easy enough to replicate…thanks for the intel

Is that something you order or that is just there?

Also, do they do garlic rice by chance? Cold use a blast of garlic in my life atm.

Some of the beef ribs are semi covering the white rice, but you then place the beef ribs totally on the white rice so the beef fat and marinade saturates it.

And they don’t have garlic rice. I believe garlic rice is usually a Filipino thing for the most part.

yea. if you’re going to a Hawaiian place bacon fried rice is their “thing”.

I guess I was improperly indoctrinated by the L&L BBQ as a child hahaha

Kind of too bad as I liked how it fit; ribs + garlic rice would be kind of awesome imo.

Matiki doesn’t even have bacon fried rice ironically. The menu is really limited. I suggest ordering just the beef back ribs plate lunch, perhaps an extra side of mac salad if your really hungry.

Sugar and soy sauce is sort of a pan-Asian marinade. I mean, who doesn’t do that?

1 Like

Chinatown Breakfast Bang Bang and Kickin It at Philippes with Chinese Grandpa’s

Pickled Eggs with Hot Mustard

From CBS, Pineapple Bun BBQ Pork
(Or you can get the Big Chicken Bun)

Donut

Coffee

5 Likes

Chinatown-Highland Park Lunch Bang Bang Gold Line Journey to Norton Simon

Keung Kee. This spot consistently has si gua/loofah/Chinese okra. Crunchy, slimy in the middle, and a little garlicky from the preparation. In the City of LA proper might be one of the few places that have this. Taiwanese peeps love it. Si gua and white rice is $2.change, .50 cents more for fried rice. Any one item is $2, even the pork belly.
And you will be kicking it with the old folks here. Shau May and Rolling Wok might have it too.
RIP to the movie theater next to Shau May

Jumped back on the train to Highland Park. If you never rode the Gold Line in between Chinatown and HLP, you are missing out!

Wanted some more veggies so I hit up Kitchen Mouse. It was a nice salad. Not pictured because I ate it was an egg, I asked for runny but whatever. Best part was one of the workers who said, “For future reference napkins and silverware are self served but I will get you them this time.” LOL Yeah thanks I see that I am literally 8 feet away. So this is the new people in HLP? Yeah I rather go to the Rec Center to Mariscos El Faro or El Mar Azul by the park on Fig or the huarache-jugo combo by the fam that runs Azteca.

Since it was next door I gotta try this Mr Homies Traphouse

A Cruffin. It is mighty good! At a price of an Honest Abe and me not being much of a sweets guy, ill come back but it won’t be a priority.
Warning: People are going to ask you to take a pic of them under the " I got baked…" neon sign, 1OAK style but no ladies in skirts I’m afraid. Best to come with a group to share a little of this and that, that and this, so just chill until the next episode.

And the end of this Gold Line Journey, Norton Simon Museum

10 Likes

What time did you get there for the cruffin and how many did they have available? I found the cruffin far, far superior to the cronut.

I was expecting the worst because I got to Mr Holmes at 1pm. Weekday though. The case had about 3 rows of Cruffins left and they close at 3pm.

It is definitely a must try

1 Like

That’s great actually, they used to sell out way early on weekdays.

Belcampo - Bar Moruno - Madcapra

Grilled mortadella - this was a disaster, they bombed it with cheap yellow mustard which covered up their delicious mortadella. Tasted a part without the mustard, it was nice.

Rotisserie chicken and dukkah butternut squash - good stuff, chicken was slightly smokey and the squash was nicely balanced, both solid

Falafel (yellow) sandwich - this was pretty tasty, I would order it again, harissa was spicy and the feta was a nice touch. Picture sucks but I wasn’t about to unwrap it just for a photo. :yum:

4 Likes

That mortadella sandwich looks horrible somehow…lol

It is nice that Moruno is still making that squash dish at GCM, it is an awesome dish.

Moruno is not busy, almost dead. I am not sure they will make it if they keep the menu they way they have it.

And it was a crime to put that cheap mustard on that mortadella. I had to wash my mouth out with that falafel sandwich.