The Best Korean BBQ in LA: Park's BBQ vs. Gwang Yang BBQ [Thoughts + Pics]

Hi @tailbacku,

There is no translation on Park’s menu that says it’s “rib eye” so I guess if you found out from the restaurant then that’s different. I’m just working off the menu names. In both places, our Korean servers repeated our orders calling it “Ggot Sal” when we ordered it.

If they are different, sure, it might be different comparisons but it’s the closest correlation between both places. And regardless, for the offerings we tried, Gwang Yang was just our preferred favorite, Ggot Sal, Galbi and Bulgogi (and Rib Eye Steak).

I could be totally wrong on this, but AFAIK, ggot sal is not an actual name of a cut of beef like chadol or galbi, rather something Park’s bbq made up because of the way they plate the cut to make it look like a flower (ggot means flower and sal means meat/flesh) on the plate w/ the rich marbling of the beef. That’s why you don’t really see “ggot sal” on other kbbq menus.

I realize this is besides the point and your main point was that you enjoyed GY better and that’s well noted.

Googling 꽃살, it’s not something Park’s made up, but I’m not sure it’s a specific cut rather just exceptionally heavily marbled wagyu.

Parks marinaded galbi is tops in the city for me. My last visit, it was so savory and tender and significantly more memorable than GY.

1 Like

If one were to order an omelet or tofu stew, would they come with banchan, or is banchan only included with grilled meat orders?

I think at Park’s they would require you to order meat. Recently half our party was late, so we ordered some appetizers and asked for them to bring banchan, but the server seemed hesitant until we assured her meat was going to be ordered. The menu itself asks that each table order one BBQ item per person.

How strictly enforced this all is, not sure. Never thought to go to Parks and not order meat. :smiley:

you’ll get limited banchan and not everything if you order a stew or something to that effect. similar at most kbbq places.

btw, the lunch specials at parks may be worth another thread. there may not be a better deal for $10

2 Likes

That’s not true at Park’s

1 Like

If you order tofu stew for $13 you get the same banchan as you do with a $30+ BBQ order?

I’ve had that a lunch - I got a galbi-tang and ate a bunch of banchan, they came by and asked me if I wanted refills on banchan. It was an incredible value.

2 Likes

by limited, i don’t mean that they limit how much you can eat but they typically limit the selection. instead of getting 10 to 15, you will get 5 to 7. etc… they’ll refill the ones that you have as you wish. it was like that at parks on my most recent visit a few months ago.

That has not been my experience.

Update 2:

We had relatives visiting and Gwang Yang BBQ’s private dining rooms were perfect for what we needed. :slight_smile:

Banchan:

Their complimentary Banchan (Side Dishes) were fine.

Prime Ggot Sal (Top Prime Chuck Flap):

Outstanding! Beautiful marbling for this USDA Prime Beef, a nice beefiness, tender, and tied for highlight of the evening! :heart:

Pajeon (Assorted Seafood & Vegetable Pancake):

About the same as last time: It’s not as crisped as we’d like it, but a nice break from all of the different meat cuts. :wink:

U.S. Kobe An Chang Sal (American Kobe Beef Outside Skirt):

Meatier than the Prime Ggot Sal (USDA Prime Top Chuck Flap), this also had a nice beefiness and half of our group thought this was the highlight of the dinner. I thought it was tied for best bite, SO GOOD! :heart:

Gwang Yang Bulgogi - Gangnam Style (Original Flavor) (Thin Slices of Lightly Marinated Beef):

Gwang Yang’s Bulgogi (Thin Slices of Lightly Marinated Beef) was what the late Jonathan Gold waxed poetic about in his review of Gwang Yang. Compared to most Bulgogi preparations around town, we’d have to agree: I definitely prefer the Gangnam Style (Original Flavor) preparation compared to their L.A. Style, which is sweeter. There’s a very tender mouthfeel, and more delicate beefiness, with more of a lightly sweet & savory Marinade and fattiness combination coming through. :slight_smile:

Prime Saeng Galbi (USDA Prime Short Ribs):

For all the Galbi fans out there, Gwang Yang’s Prime Saeng Galbi (USDA Prime Short Ribs) was the meatiest, firmest (but still tender) cuts of meat we had on this visit. It’s served deboned already, and they cut it into pieces when ready to eat.

U.S. Kobe An Chang Sal (American Kobe Beef Outside Skirt):

We wanted another round of something and when put up to the vote, it was another order of U.S. Kobe An Chang Sal (American Kobe Beef Outside Skirt). :slight_smile: Not that I was complaining, this 2nd round turned out to be just as flavorful, beefy and awesome as the first round. :blush: :heart:

Service in the private dining room was just as good as the outside tables. It was quieter, with good ventilation, and Gwang Yang has maybe ~5 or 6 of these private rooms available on any given night.

Gwang Yang BBQ remains a great place to experience some excellent Korean BBQ. If nothing else, make sure to try their Prime Ggot Sal (USDA Prime Top Chuck Flap), U.S. Kobe An Chang Sal (American Kobe Beef Outside Skirt), Gwang Yang Bulgogi - Gangnam Style (Original Flavor) (Thin Slices of Lightly Marinated Beef). Succulent, beefy, tender, nicely cooked by the staff at your table, those remain our favorite versions in L.A.

(Free Parking with Validation in the Parking Garage underneath Gwang Yang (behind Zion Market))

Gwang Yang BBQ
3435 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 123
Los Angeles, CA 90010

11 Likes

Beautiful photos as always. Thank you!

Look like I am going to need a return visit for the outside skirt!!

For me the chuck flap at Gwang Yang is one of the best damn cuts of Korean BBQ in So Cal! I just wish the banchan was Parks.

1 Like

Thanks @ebethsdad. :slight_smile: Have you tried Gwang Yang or Park’s before?

1 Like

Hi @JeetKuneBao,

Yes, definitely! We really liked U.S. Kobe An Chang Sal (American Kobe Beef Outside Skirt). Definitely agree that I wish their Banchan was better.

I have been to Parks a number of times. Will definitely check out Gwang Yang!

1 Like

How many pounds of meat does each person get served? I feel like this is so much food, plus the banchan.

How much meat comes in an order? Good question. Park’s specifies the weight only for the rib-eye.