The Best Korean BBQ in LA: Park's BBQ vs. Gwang Yang BBQ [Thoughts + Pics]

Hi @tailbacku,

There is no translation on Park’s menu that says it’s “rib eye” so I guess if you found out from the restaurant then that’s different. I’m just working off the menu names. In both places, our Korean servers repeated our orders calling it “Ggot Sal” when we ordered it.

If they are different, sure, it might be different comparisons but it’s the closest correlation between both places. And regardless, for the offerings we tried, Gwang Yang was just our preferred favorite, Ggot Sal, Galbi and Bulgogi (and Rib Eye Steak).

I could be totally wrong on this, but AFAIK, ggot sal is not an actual name of a cut of beef like chadol or galbi, rather something Park’s bbq made up because of the way they plate the cut to make it look like a flower (ggot means flower and sal means meat/flesh) on the plate w/ the rich marbling of the beef. That’s why you don’t really see “ggot sal” on other kbbq menus.

I realize this is besides the point and your main point was that you enjoyed GY better and that’s well noted.

Googling 꽃살, it’s not something Park’s made up, but I’m not sure it’s a specific cut rather just exceptionally heavily marbled wagyu.

Parks marinaded galbi is tops in the city for me. My last visit, it was so savory and tender and significantly more memorable than GY.

If one were to order an omelet or tofu stew, would they come with banchan, or is banchan only included with grilled meat orders?

I think at Park’s they would require you to order meat. Recently half our party was late, so we ordered some appetizers and asked for them to bring banchan, but the server seemed hesitant until we assured her meat was going to be ordered. The menu itself asks that each table order one BBQ item per person.

How strictly enforced this all is, not sure. Never thought to go to Parks and not order meat. :smiley:

you’ll get limited banchan and not everything if you order a stew or something to that effect. similar at most kbbq places.

btw, the lunch specials at parks may be worth another thread. there may not be a better deal for $10

That’s not true at Park’s

If you order tofu stew for $13 you get the same banchan as you do with a $30+ BBQ order?

I’ve had that a lunch - I got a galbi-tang and ate a bunch of banchan, they came by and asked me if I wanted refills on banchan. It was an incredible value.

by limited, i don’t mean that they limit how much you can eat but they typically limit the selection. instead of getting 10 to 15, you will get 5 to 7. etc… they’ll refill the ones that you have as you wish. it was like that at parks on my most recent visit a few months ago.

That has not been my experience.