The beverly blvd sushi joint. (somewhat long) (and that ain't no joke)

Shige-san can come across as gruff at first, but he’s actually quite cool as the meal progresses.

3 Likes

I’ve read this whole thread. What place are we talking about?

2 Likes

I think Shibucho

https://m.yelp.com/biz/shibucho-los-angeles

1 Like

I think you may be right!

(Photo courtesy of Yelp.) :slight_smile:

1 Like

[quote=“JeetKuneBao, post:34, topic:1154”]
I’ll be honest this place is intimidating
[/quote]I thought it was just me.

1 Like

Shibucho indeed. Here’s a link from my last visit (with @CiaoBob & @kevin)…

4 Likes

please excuse my broken recordness:
this place is not intimidating in the least, though i went a few years back.
and im a freakin moron.

1 Like

I’m very curious about his pairing of Burgundy with sushi. I’m thinking 1er cru Chablis, Montee de Tonnere? I think the tannins in a red might not work with the proper mouthfeel of good rice.

Is it by the glass and for an omakase of say 15-20 pieces, what sort of damage is someone looking at for Burgundy pairings? I can imagine that the price of wine could easily eclipse the price of the sushi meal itself.

Not Burgundy, but I could see some blanc de blancs or Bollinger rose working with some types of sushi. Or even an Oregon pinot with some chutoro with a nice nikiri shoyu.

In all honesty, I’m not sure if wine is a better match for sushi than sake. But it’s certainly interesting. I just think that sake has a natural advantage up front. With that said, it doesn’t necessarily have to be “better” - just as long as it complements sushi well, it could be another option.

Is it dressy or casual?

Fwiw I just saw Pim (of Kin Khao) say on Fb how much she loved the pairing of great burg with great sushi. Think she was drinking red’s and whites. She’s def a burghound though.

i found it somewhere between dressy and casual. but it was a special occasion
so i spruced up a bit, but no jacket or dress required, certainly. at least when i went.

we did not get the wine pairing, but drank one of the cheaper reds on the wine list.
while i think wine pairings are overrated, i thought red went surprisingly well with the sushi.

2 Likes

You don’t have to go with elite reds for the matching to work. Our Ribera del Duero wasn’t anywhere near high end, and yet paired very nicely with our nigiri.

Holy Moly. When you report you really get down. That Shibucho one was great.

I went in shorts. Cargo shorts.

2 Likes

Casual
Rockers with tshirts are there all the time

2 Likes

Oh cool. I was reading this thread yesterday then happened to be out and about by myself (primo sushi is lost on my crew haha). Because of the holiday and the rain, thought maybe I could get in without a res. But I was wearing a flannel & a tuque hat.

Generally recommend calling ahead, even if it’s only by 30 minutes. This is a good first step to a warm reception here :slight_smile:

But yes, dress code is not a real factor. Many t-shirt and jean combos here.

[quote=“T3t, post:51, topic:1154”]
This is a good first step to a warm reception here :slight_smile:
[/quote]Good idea. Wouldn’t want to make that guy mad.

I don’t mean to scare you off - even the couple times there were rude or uninformed customers while I was dining there, he was fairly patient. I have heard the horror stories, but I’ve only seen the opposite.

2 Likes

You can leave your hat on.
:wink:

3 Likes