The beverly blvd sushi joint. (somewhat long) (and that ain't no joke)

Other than the bill, there is really nothing to be intimidated about at Shibucho.
If you happen to be an I-Tappa-Keg collegian looking for Sake Shots and Caterpillar Rolls, you may be shown the door; all others are in for a sublime experience. And that ain’t no fucking joke.

4 Likes

Whats up with zero and one star Yelp reviews ? People just fucking going bonkers because of the cost ?

I’ve heard he’ll charge you more if he doesn’t like you.

Seems like high pricing and inconsistent quality are the biggest trends on the negative reviews. Some are probably due to yelp idiots that don’t know better, but half of those low * reviews look like legitimate complaints and generally involve Shige’s well known sushi nazi attitude.

[quote=“Funtimes, post:60, topic:1154”]
But I’m intimidated too. Cookie maybe us newbies should go together. And then maybe it will be cookie’s fortune.
[/quote]Now that’s a good idea. Sushi school! We could learn together. I had been considering starting my sushi journey alone. My peeps would be :rolling_eyes: with my questions and attention to detail.

You could be right and thanks. I never used to be intimidated about such things. But this board has made me so. I worry about my etiquette now and how particular certain chefs are, etc. Someone posted how they saw Jonathan Gold holding his chopsticks wrong or some such thing. Yikes! I thought “Then I’m certainly bound to do something wrong.” But I do love my book Sushi. Thanks @Sgee & @J_L. It’s time to apply it!

just eat with your hands, problem solved.

1 Like

…oh and you guys are slightly obsessed with knife skills.

Hah! I loved when I read that in the book. Total relief!

what book

Amazon has it.

1 Like

Thnks.

[quote=“Funtimes, post:60, topic:1154”]
cookie’s fortune.
[/quote]I can’t get it on Netflix or Amazon :frowning2:.

Maybe a video store ? if they still exist

1 Like

Not sure where you live or wok:

Cinefile, or Vidiots.

Both of em should have it.

I think cinefile might have section devoted to Rob Altman.

1 Like

Cinefile is also a good excuse to hit up Sawtelle for some eating!!

1 Like

that’s true.

and there’s a couple decent sushi on swatted.

1 Like

@JeetKuneBao & @Funtimes Great ideas. Thanks.

some awesome t-shirts, some suspect genres, and probably any hard-to-find movie one would want for a post-Kiriko Friday night.

1 Like

Any Kiriko regulars here?

I really wanna try the foie gras egg custard but also don’t wanna leave without trying some sushi/sashimi but also don’t want a omakase experience.

Any recommendations for a la carte?

Apps:

• Kanpachi carpaccio
  • Ankimo
  • My friends like the grilled bluefin toro with yuzu aroma
  • Their cold smoked salmon with mango is uniquely theirs - some like it, some don’t. I quite like it, as you get a smokey fish with sweet mango; as long as you don’t have an aversion to either ingredient, it’s worth a try.

Sushi:

• Seared kinmedai with yuzukosho
  • Ika with uni on top and shiso underneath
  • Blue crab handroll. Yes it has mayonnaise, but they pack in the crab, and the sesame seeds and pickled cucumbers are great with it

I almost always sit with Shinji-san. Kiriko is pretty good, tasty if not quite as technical as others at times, but that’s because (at least in my opinion) they’re rather understaffed. Sometimes the food can come a bit slowly, so be patient and sip some sake.

2 Likes