The Butter Thread

This Costco butter is pretty damn good, imo. Rich, creamy, and a good amount of salt.

5 Likes

What’s the butterfat percentage? I have been hooked on Strauss’ as it has an 85% fat content - but it’s now $10/lb at Whole Foods.

I really like the large chub of Vermont Creamery not too be confused with the their new non high fat supermarket line it’s not easy to find tho. Farmshop carries it Clark St Brentwood used to carry it :frowning: Surfas carries it. I really like cultured butter so I’ve been getting French butter from Vicente Foods -granted not an economical decision

2 Likes

Nutrition panel says 11 grams fat of 14 total, so should be 78-79%.

I believe minimum fat content in butter is 80% in the US.

You may be too far away for it to be practical, but Epicurus has a great selection of cultured butter for very fair prices, https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/92700be0-5fa5-4e1a-9249-a64e798bb4c8/downloads/11.1.2021.pdf?ver=1635967466817

2 Likes

That is a great selection! I love Echire too.

1 Like

I want to make my own . Anybody try it . Seems fairly choresome and basic. Just need good ingredients.

1 Like

I have thought of it, but haven’t done it yet. This, The Homemade Pantry's Butter, makes it sound pretty easy. The recipes I have looked at for cultured butter add either a buttermilk or yogurt culture to the cream prior to churning. Can you get high quality cream up where you are?

I believe I can . If I look for it .

1 Like

Google agrees. So presumably Kirkland Grass-Fed is 80% and dividing the nutritional info grams is off due to rounding errors.

Got this at West Covina Tokyo Central today, kinda tasted like bacon flavored cheese in a spray can that I used to like when I was a kid, not bad :grin:

4 Likes