The End of Cash in L.A.?

technically, the statute preventing passing on of surcharges was deemed unconstitutional (civil code 1748.1) and the attorney general was prohibited from enforcing it.

however CA law prohibits deceptive practices, so a vendor that does not clearly explain its policies could be prosecuted for violating CA law. also you may NOT charge MORE than the actual surcharges being assessed by the processor. so vendors that are passing surcharges to their customers typically put up a sign fully visible to all potential customers advising that the credit card surcharges are being pass on to the customer. also, the surcharge is represented as a separate amount in the subtotal, allowing the customer to review the charge before signing the authorization form. the customer may then refuse and elect to pay in cash.

the bottom line is that you can’t simply add a buck or two to the total without explicitly identifying exactly how much you’re charging, and the surcharge needs to be calculated to ensure that customers are not being overcharged.or you risk being prosecuted.

su-beoreg & monta factory in pasadena is one place i know that is passing on part of the surcharge - the last time i was there, they were using square and getting charged a flat 2.75% sarkes (the son who runs the business side) elected to pass on 2% of that to his customers and he informs them before he prints the authorization form for them to sign.

Is there somewhere you go to find out what you are legally required to set the price for your product or service as?.. Are there government tables you have to read?

It’s 0630 - raincheck…

FTC (M)Eat- up = Great idea that I would be interested in, unless…
…it is held at Le Vecchia. I have tried to enjoy the food there more often than I recall (since it is so close to many things I like to do and I have been friends with the previous owner for years) but it just doesn’t cut it (for me).

Aw, darn. Is there any place you like on the westside as a low-key, neighborhood Italian joint?

I’m up for a meet up if @J_L organizes. :wink: Organizing the Clusi Batusi dinner was a rather massive undertaking, I imagine…

Otherwise, I’m happy to meet people in an impromptu fashion if/when Vito’s Pizzeria in SaMo opens. :wink:

1 Like

Yes.

Edit: Unless you’re referring to price controls. Those are used rarely by governments. I was thinking of weights and measures, and transparency.

Where? This is the first time I’ve ever heard of such a thing, and I’ve been setting prices for products and services in various businesses my entire working life…

So if you’re pissed off about spending $18 on Gjusta sandwiches, it is because the government has a table that specifies that they MUST charge exactly that price?

No, there are no price controls on products, you can charge whatever you want for a sandwich (free market, etc.). but if you’re setting prices, shouldn’t you know these things already? :wink:

Well… I could just be in violation of some laws without knowing it.

I generally price all of my expenses into my prices…I don’t entirely know why that isn’t possible in other industries. It seems particularly impossible in the restaurant industry. Is it, for example, literally illegal for restaurants to raise prices by 3% instead of putting a healthcare surcharge on every check? If so, then people getting pissed over that really makes no sense at all…

1 Like

I’m totally okay with this. I hate carrying cash almost as much as I hate waiting for someone paying in cash to count out their change.

@Bigmouth I hate people in a grocery line thinking their time is so precious that the thirty seconds it takes an old person to count out pennies somehow inconveniences them.

And cash is quicker than those machines. I’ve timed it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So you’re the one holding up all the lines with your stopwatch!!!

2 Likes

@Bigmouth and @Bookwich
“Hate” is such an overbearingly strong word. I hate it when folks throw that word around in such a loose manner! :wink:

What the world needs now is… Sing it, Burt…

2 Likes

And I hate the rank ageism in this comment! :wink:

[quote=“Bookwich, post:71, topic:4464”]And cash is quicker than those machines. I’ve timed it. :slight_smile:
[/quote]
I was skeptical about this but it turns out studies show cash payments are indeed faster on average than credit or debit. However, NFC payments are faster even than cash. The more you know!

EDIT: Actually, I spoke too soon. According to one source, in the US at least, credit and debit transactions are several seconds faster than cash.

Just out of curiosity:

How do those of you who don’t carry cash split the check?

If six of you are eating together – do you hand over six credit cards?

When I go out with friends, someone inevitably puts down their card and the rest of us toss them some cash for our share. This system works if we’re splitting the check evenly or if we’re each “paying our share.”

But if no one carries cash – do you each have to toss in a credit card? Does this make the server/cashier happy, to have to ring up each card one at a time?

If it’s three people or fewer, we usually just put down cards. Otherwise, we do what you described. If I know I’m going out with a large group, I’ll stop by the ATM.

Yes. Many restaurants have become a lot more accommodating to taking a bunch of cards. Typically try to keep it to as few as possible, though.

Or, if there’s a card limit, one person pays with their card, and the rest of the group will Venmo the payer with what they owed.

In Japan, one Suica card tap pays all. So damn sleek & modern, that society… (A society which takes cash, too… :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Indeed, my friend. I suspect I am still harboring and repressing undesirable memories about that process - anyone know a shrink? :slight_smile:

But in all seriousness, it was great fun meeting online board members in living flesh, and sharing a fantastic Italian meal with them. Totally worth the trouble.

2 Likes

Or if you visit Matsukawa in Tokyo where only cash is accepted, JPN 100,000 for two people before out of door.:wink:

1 Like