The End of Cash in L.A.?

Yeh, I called my bank once about those charges because the liquor store guy kept charging me, even after I told him it’s illegal. So annoying. The bank didn’t care.

Bypass that: Buy that liquor with cash.

Oh, hush. I spent all my cash at the taco truck on my way home.

2 Likes

Touché!

telling the bank won’t get you anything.

i am not an attorney but my understanding is that if any vendor informs anyone that any increase is to cover card processing costs, they can not charge more than what they are being charged. so someone paying in cash would be overcharged by 3% and eligible for a refund,

any customer wishing to be refunded for the surcharge should send a written demand for a refund for the surcharge via certified mail. if they don’t get that refund within 30 days, they become eligible for triple assessed damages plus reasonable legal fees. i presume it would go through small claims court. a lot of effort to get back your surcharge, but that is the current legal recourse as i understand it…

1 Like

Yet again, how would anyone possibly know? Am I not allowed to raise my prices as a business at my own discretion?

or shop elsewhere. seriously, liquor stores are a perfect place to do this, although a lot of them are afraid that people will take their business elsewhere, but they typically get hammered selling just a pack cigarettes for $5 depending on the size of the transaction fee. a 25 cent transaction is another 5% on top of the processing fees

at the risk of becoming pedantic - if you inform anyone that you are raising charges to cover credit card costs, you would open yourself up to liability because YOU WOULD BE OVERCHARGING ANYONE WHO PAYS WITH CASH. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO MAKE A PROFIT.

if you arbitrarily raise your margin across the board, fine. but failure to disclose the reason for the increase also constitutes a violation of current CA statutes. one might get away with it, but at risk of losing business if their prices become higher in a competitive market.

What form do you file and with whom to notify reason for price increase? Cna you just state that you would like more money? Greed not a good enough reason?

You are more than worthy. :+1:

1 Like

Small update: Honeyboba (not that it was all that great to begin with, but anyhoo) no longer accepts cash.