The Glorious Cuisine of Taiwan: Mouth Watering Beef Noodle Soup, Handmade Dumplings, Succulent Ground Pork & Mushroom Rice and 31 Types of Great Chilled Appetizers! Cindy's Kitchen [Thoughts + Pics]

Haha my favorite would be 下酒菜 (SHA ZHOU TSAI) = casual dishes that pair nicely with alcohol…in which case skip the rice if you are counting calories and drinking rice based alcohol like kome shochu or sake :sweat_smile: Coincidentally, some of the small plates/apps at beef noodle or dumpling restaurants are the equivalent of good otsumami!

3 Likes

You’re killing me with your glut of delicious riches.

Up here in Portland, I’ve given up on trying to find 牛肉麵 and I’ve just begin making it myself. You can’t even find a place here that makes fresh 油條. It’s all reheated, frozen stuff.

(sigh)

Really looking forward to our upcoming visit on Dec 19 :slight_smile:

Mr Taster

3 Likes

Hi @MrTaster,

Welcome back! :slight_smile: Sorry to hear about your limited choices up in Portland. I hope you get a chance to try Cindy’s when you come back next week. :slight_smile:

Damn good bowl of noodles! Not as good as Grandmas obviously but well made! As always the dumplings were great. The seaweed is one of my favorites here.

4 Likes

Did you spy any pig ears in the cold deli case? I heard they were adding it …

1 Like

2 Likes

Thanks for the report back @JeetKuneBao! I love their Zha Jiang Mian as well. Really good and our favorite version around. :slight_smile:

And yes! I love those cold deli case choices you made on this trip (the Green Beans and the Marinated Seaweed). :slight_smile:

1 Like

Made a quick but tasty visit.

4 Likes

Update 2:

While the Westside has many wonderful things, one thing it does not have is Cindy’s Kitchen. We were chatting with some friends and suddenly, we found ourselves heading east. Time for a revisit to Cindy’s Kitchen! :slight_smile:

With the So Cal Summer in full effect, walking into Cindy’s we were thankful for their wonderful selection of 31(!) different types of Chilled Stewed / Little Appetizers (Lu Wei / Hsiao Tsai) to choose from.

Duck Gizzard with Green Onions:

The Chilled Stewed Duck Gizzards with Green Onion were a unique Lu Wei appetizer we hadn’t seen before prior to Cindy’s Kitchen. A nice meaty chew, firm but pliable with a good long-stewed flavor, this was a nice contrast to the rest of our dishes. :slight_smile:

Pork Ear with Green Onions:

Probably one of the best renditions of Chilled Pork Ears in L.A., this was fresh, cool, refreshing, with a nice gelatinous chew, and a delicate crunch from the cartilage with a good stewed flavor that never ventures too salty like some versions. Excellent! :heart:

Pork Stomach with Pickled Vegetables:

What’s so incredible about Cindy’s Kitchen’s version of this Chilled Hsiao Tsai is that the Pork Stomach is smoked and stewed. There’s an amazing smokiness, tenderness, and the Housemade Pickled Vegetables provide a slight piquant contrast to keep the dish lively. Delicious! (@Xochitl @theoffalo and other Offal fans.) :slight_smile:

Ground Pork & Mushroom Over Rice:

As incredible as before! :blush: Finely chopped Stewed Pork Belly, Mushrooms and Taiwanese magic: Chef Ling’s version of this Pork & Mushroom Rice is incredible in its balance: It’s got just the right amount of salinity (too many versions of this taste like they just dump in Soy Sauce and let it cook), not too salty, tasting freshly made (not reheated leftovers like some places), a beautiful layering of lean and fatty Stewed Pork finely diced up to help with the mouthfeel, the Mushrooms give it that true deep, deep savory crave-worthy, drool-worthy quality and it tastes like decades and decades of cooking Taiwanese food culminating in this one dish.

It is outstanding! :heart:

Sauteed “A” Vegetable with Garlic:

Nice Wok work, great saute for these “A” Vegetables with a good smack of Garlic in each bite.

Zha Jiang Mian - Soybean Dry Noodles:

As before, notice how finely chopped the ingredients in the Zha Jiang Mian (Soybean Dry Noodles) are. It reflects a kitchen that cares about the quality of its product. Mix it all together:

Not too sweet, not too salty, not too heavy or gloppy like some versions of Zha Jiang Mian have turned out. The Bean Sprouts, Cucumber slivers and the finely chopped up Marinated Ground Pork, Firm Tofu in their Housemade Zha Jiang Sauce all combine together to create a bowl of wonderfully pleasing deliciousness! :heart:

Easily our favorite Zha Jiang Mian in L.A. right now! :blush: (Thanks again @ipsedixit!)

Pork, Leek & Shrimp Dumplings:

A pleasant surprise from our initial visits, Cindy’s Kitchen makes their Dumplings from scratch, in-house, and their Pork, Leek & Shrimp Dumplings are the ones to try at least once. A beautiful rustic, medium-thick Dumpling skin. But what really makes these Dumplings shine is some unique convergence of the Marinated Ground Pork, Leeks and Shrimp. It’s more than the sum of its parts; delicious! :slight_smile:

Another Visit:

Fresh, snappy, delicious. :slight_smile:

Pickled Bamboo Shoots:

Their Pickled Bamboo Shoots Chilled Appetizer is also another standout item. When you think “pickled” tartness comes to mind, but Chef Ling’s version falls in the vein of something more along the lines of a wonderful Sauteed Bamboo Shoots with bits of their Pickled Greens. These are Young Bamboo so it’s really tender, beautifully seasoned and refreshing served chilled! :blush:

Spicy Tofu:

Another of their 31 selections of Lu Wei / Hsiao Tsai (Chilled Stewed / Little Dishes), the simply named Spicy Tofu is so much more than that. They make their version in-house, and it’s got a nice firm, but rough-fried exterior with a tender interior. The Housemade Spicy Chili Oil they marinate their Tofu in is incredible! It’s nuanced, not just pure burn-your-mouth Chili heat, but more aromatic with a nice gentle spiciness, and when served chilled in this Summer weather? So good! :heart:

Deep Fried Pork Intestine with Chili:

Again, we’re not usually Offal fans, but Cindy’s Kitchen’s Deep Fried Pork Intestines with Chili might very well be the most delicious preparation of Pork Intestines in L.A. right now (especially since Raku’s Intestine Kushiyaki are gone (RIP)):

Deep fried, crispy exterior, tender interior with fragrant Dried Chili Peppers and Sesame Seeds and Chili Oil. It’s very much in the style of the Szechuan Fried Spicy Chili Chicken (La Zi Ji) but with Pork Intestines. And it doesn’t have any of the funky Offal taste to it. Delicious! :heart: (@Xochitl @PorkyBelly @CiaoBob and others.)

Beef Stew & Tendon Noodle Soup (w/ Thick Noodles):

I didn’t grow up with a Taiwanese Grandma to make me Homemade Beef Noodle Soup like @JeetKuneBao (lucky!), but I think Cindy’s Kitchen’s Beef Noodle Soup might be our favorite Taiwanese version of Beef Noodle Soup we’ve tried. I love Corner Beef Noodle House’s version - it is much more complex and spice & herb driven, but they’re getting sloppier and sloppier, giving you massive uncut “steaks” of Beef Shank and Tendon, with no knife or fork, you’re basically expected to chew and rip off bites of the Beef from the long slab-strips, but I digress - Cindy’s version is simpler, but very pure.

There’s a genuine taste and quality to this bowl of joy: The tender, long-stewed Beef Shank pieces and Beef Tendon pieces are bite sized and delicious. Always tasting fresh (cooked that day, not reheated), with a balanced flavor that’s not too salty, and not drowning in MSG either.

You have an option for Thin or Thick Noodles (we took @ipsedixit’s advice and go with Thick Noodles), and don’t forget to add in some of their Housemade Pickled Vegetables:

Take a spoonful of the cooked-for-hours Beef Broth, some Noodles, a bit of the Stewed Beef Shank or Beef Tendon and it’s just happiness! Really satisfying, crave-worthy and not too heavy. SO GOOD! :heart:

Hometown Braised Pork Belly:

We were thinking of @PorkyBelly when ordering this dish: Chef Ling’s Hometown Braised Pork Belly is mostly really tender, nicely stewed with a great balance of fatty and lean Pork. It leans on the pure savory-stewed side (as opposed to some versions that have a bit of sweetness as well (like Shanghai versions)). We had a couple pieces that were tough and meaty (I’m thinking it’s the edge pieces, sitting at the edge of the pot / bottom), but the vast majority were great. :slight_smile:

Another Visit:

Pickled Bamboo Shoots:

As great as the previous visit.

Cucumber Salad:

Their Cucumber Salad (another of the 31 Chilled Appetizers) were crisp, crunchy, snappy, not too salty, nor too vinegary.

Ground Pork & Mushroom Over Rice:

This is the type of dish that would fit the definition of drool-worthy: As tasty as before, with the finely diced up Stewed Pork Belly (lean and fatty Stewed Pork), Mushrooms and their balanced, Soy Sauce-based Stewed Gravy. This was incredible, yet again! :heart: (They are thankfully consistently great.)

Beef Stew & Tendon Noodle Soup (w/ Thick Noodles):

I think their Beef Noodle Soup is getting better and better. As amazing as before, succulent, tender, but meaty morsels of Stewed Beef Shank and Beef Tendon, some Bok Choy, their Housemade Pickled Vegetables, that incredible long-cooked Beef Broth and Thick Noodles = JOY! :heart: :blush: :heart:

Cindy’s Kitchen continues to be a bastion for delicious Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup, Handmade Dumplings, Zha Jiang Mian (Soybean Dry Noodles), and the absurd Ground Pork & Mushroom Rice. Their 31 different Lu Wei / Hsiao Tsai (Chilled Stewed / Little Dishes) are always vibrant and fresh, and some of the best selection around. This tiny mom & pop hole-in-the-wall continues to delight and deliver great food at reasonable prices, and some of the best bites we’ve had this year.

Cindy’s Kitchen
16409 Colima Rd.
Hacienda Heights, CA 91745
Tel: (626) 961-0789

14 Likes

Cindy’s Kitchen is a great find! The cold case and frozen dumplings make for easy dinners at home.

3 Likes

Hi @attran99,

Yes their cold case is great! :slight_smile: Have you tried their Homemade Taiwanese Sausage yet? Our friend who speaks Mandarin asked the owner who said that the Taiwanese Sausages they sell are from a local family who’s been making them for years.

Took my Grandma here last week. When it comes to eating Chinese food she is a picky as hell. You would be too if you been cooking since you were young.

Beef Noodle Soup: For her the broth was “good”. Her broth is more complex…savory, beefy, a hint of sweet/anise, and a little spice but very balanced. That’s what I like. A lot of places makes their Beef Noodle Soup too damn salty that I can’t taste any other notes. Here has a nice savory broth with a nice touch of anise. For her also the meat and tendon were cooked well. I agree the meat and tendon here is some of the best.

Zha Jiang Mian. I liked it. She thought it was “okay” lol

Dumplings and Wontons. I liked it. “Meh” from her lol

Pork Belly. She thought it needed more fatty pieces. “Meh” from her. I thought it was good.

Stir Fry Pork and Bamboo. This was very tasty! “Meh” from her.

Bitter melon and Scrambled Eggs. This homestyle dish was done very well! She liked it.

10 Likes

Grandma needs to write up her thoughts on FTC! I can translate.

4 Likes

Next time you’re there, try their cold smoked duck or chicken. They’re delish as well.

2 Likes

Because of @Chowseeker1999 and you, I’m dropping by tonight to pick up some dinner supplies this week.

2 Likes

Hi @LAFoodiePanda,

Thanks! Yes, we love their cold smoked duck! I’ll have to try their chicken next time. :slight_smile:

Hi @attran99,

Very nice. :slight_smile: Be sure to order a Pork & Mushroom Rice to snack on before leaving! :wink:

2 Likes

And the noodles! I love that dish, too.

1 Like

Nice @Chowseeker1999!

I wonder just how long it takes one to prepare a “wonderful selection of 31(!) different types of Chilled Stewed / Little Appetizers (Lu Wei / Hsiao Tsai).” :thinking:

P.S. That was a funny post @JeetKuneBao.

1 Like

It’s a good question. I know on 2 or 3 of the visits, they were sold out of ~3 or 4 of the Chilled Stewed / Little Appetizers (and we showed up right at lunch time). So I think the amount of effort to keep making them isn’t insignificant. :sweat_smile: You can definitely taste the care involved, and I like that they take the stance to make less of it and sell out, instead of some places making a ton of it, and selling leftovers for multiple days in a row (some of the cold plates / dishes we’ve tried at SGV restaurants taste like they were made 2 - 3 days earlier). :frowning:

Please report back if you ever make it out to Cindy’s Kitchen. :wink:

1 Like