The Key to Weight Loss Is Diet Quality, Not Quantity, a New Study Finds

So, it actually is about eating fewer calories?

Dr. Gardner said it is not that calories don’t matter. After all, both groups ultimately ended up consuming fewer calories on average by the end of the study

Shocking isn’t it?

All these studies, and we learn that if you burn more calories than you take in, you will lose weight.

How many Ph.D.s does it take again to change a light bulb?

Well…it all depends on whether or not the light bulb really wants to change.

I think the more salient point is:

I think one place we go wrong is telling people to figure out how many calories they eat and then telling them to cut back on 500 calories, which makes them miserable. We really need to focus on that foundational diet, which is more vegetables, more whole foods, less added sugar, and less refined grains.

How many Harvard nutritionists does it take to stop the USDA from whoring for the sugar and dairy industries and other manufacturers of foods known to promote heart disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure?

2 Likes

Eat real food, not too much, mostly plants.

-Michael Pollan

I heard or read a Weight Watchers person say that you’ll never get in trouble eating too many vegetables :slight_smile:

FIFY

When I’m somewhere that starts with even a small side salad, I have to eat just a little or I won’t want my main. Lesson?

The actual Pollan quote is “eat food,” not “eat real food.” All food is real, unless it’s imaginary, and you’re not likely to gain weight from eating imaginary food.

Stop eating salads.

1 Like

Americans don’t know when to serve the salad.

1 Like

“Eat food, too much, mostly animals.”—Daniel Boyarin

When Pollan says “eat food,” he means as opposed to foodish substances.

1 Like

Right. And since everyone knows this, there’s no need to add an unnecessary word to a nice punchy quote.

Imagine your great-grandmother (or grandmother, depending on your age) at your side as you roll down the aisles of the supermarket. You’re standing together in front of the dairy case. She picks up a package of Go-GURT Portable Yogurt tubes—and hasn’t a clue what this plastic cylinder of colored and flavored gel could possibly be. Is it a food or is it a toothpaste? There are now thousands of foodish products in the supermarket that our ancestors simply wouldn’t recognize as food.

They - our ancestors - also died at 37. Let’s not put on rose-tinted glasses and hearken back to the “good ole days”.

1 Like

That’s a lot of rules.

That is only if one factors in child mortality rates and maternal childbirth deaths.

People were living longer thanks to improved medical care, not Snackwells, Big Macs, Crunchwrap Supremes, and Cheetos.

The trend has recently reversed, or at least plateaued.

1 Like