The Madness that is Shake Shack - Is it an Expensive Fast Food Burger? A Cheaper Gourmet Burger? (vs. Golden State) - Review and Pics

Unfortunately only 1 location on the island of Santa Monica.

1 Like

One location now.

Oh man. Best CfA sandwich I’ve ever had.

3 Likes

Exactly. My wife felt the same way. I will go back, but it would but it would be easier if they opened an OC store.

There are 3 shake shacks in SD, mostly at malls. A lot of the recent openings in LA haven been in malls too. It’s a matter of time before they open up at Irvine Spectrum, Fashion Island, Brea Mall or South Coast. Or all of the above.

2 Likes

That looks excellent. Perfect medium.

That is a 1/2 pound of beefy excellence. Notice the meat to bun ratio is about 2:1 so all that beefy flavor is concentrated in each bite. I really think the Triple HiHo is the perfect amount of meat for the bun they are using.

Well, they’re getting closer…

I just find it weird that they go to LA County, jump right over the OC and land in San Diego.

2 Likes

I had the exact same thought.

Maybe OC is too ensconced in the In-N-Out culture to make it worth the risk?

2 Likes

I look at In-N-Out and Shake Shack, while offering the same kind of menu, as two different price points. If the price point didn’t stop expansion into LA and SD, it certainly shouldn’t stop it from dropping in the OC.

3 Likes

They will be in the OC no later than 2020. I predict 2 openings inside of malls.

from their 10-k

Our primary growth strategy is highly dependent on the availability of suitable locations and our ability to develop and open new Shacks on a timely basis and on terms attractive to us.

It’s been a long time since I’ve lived in OC, but I’ve never known the Irvine Company to offer attractive terms.

Believe it or not everything is not owned by the Irvine Co, it just seems like it. Mostly places not in the Costa Mesa, Irvine and Newport Beach area. Brea Mall is Simon. South Coast Plaza is owned by Segerstrom family. Don’t jinx us.

I vaguely recall reading/hearing somewhere that Shake Shack was looking at a spot on Arroyo Parkway in Pasadena.

ETA: Shoulda searched

They promise the world to their tenants nowadays.

Exactly. I find that odd. OC just seems as perfect a fit as there ever was. Maybe their research team doesn’t have a good understand of the California landscape, and it’s easier to just jump to well-known areas LA-SF-SD. But it seems an obvious fit to expand to OC even before LA. LA seems a much more difficult landscape with a hundred comparably hyped places like Cassell’s, Hi Ho and Burgers Never Say Die, a few having perfected the thin stacked patty model that maximizes carmelized beefy crust, making Shake Shack just one of many.

OC has a very strong chain restaurant, fast-casual food culture. And outsider chains tend to do very well there judging from the lines at Chick fil-A and Raising Cane’s. But now, it seems the Shake Shack hype and momentum is slowing down. I don’t think they missed the boat yet on OC, but they passed up a good opportunity for a few, now missed years, of really good profit that would have helped their stock prices.

6 Likes

Visited the recently opened Burbank SS

Pros: kiosk ordering. Perfectly cooked bacon

Cons: they don’t have their shit together like other SS’s. Way too much sport peppers on the smoke shack and uneven placement on both.

I used to get a burger, fries and a drink for ~$15 but now get 2 sandwiches and a water for $15.xx. I think the table next to me thought I was a madlad

2 Likes

Aging infrastructure will do that.