The Madness that is Shake Shack - Is it an Expensive Fast Food Burger? A Cheaper Gourmet Burger? (vs. Golden State) - Review and Pics

Reporting back briefly because at long last, I am no longer a Shake Shack virgin. Was at the Century City mall and decided to check out SS. (Side note about that mall: almost no stores open during the remodel, but I still go there because the Bloomingdales is so much better than the one in Santa Monica. As someone noted in another SS thread, the parking + construction is terribly confusing. I spent 20 minutes trying to find my car and actually had to be helped by a security guard. But I didnā€™t feel too stupid because it turns out I was parked on a level that could only be reached by one set of elevators.). Back to SS - short line to order at 2:00 on a Thursday, but it took about 15 minutes to get my food. Donā€™t know if thatā€™s typical or not. Ordered a single shack burger and a soda. No fries because I wasnā€™t that hungry. When I try a new burger place I generally start with a signature burger to see what all the fuss is about. Next time Iā€™d probably skip the sauce and just have ketchup or nothing. As for the burger - I liked it a lot. Beefy flavor, nice char, and I really liked to bun. I tend to disassemble burgers and eat maybe half the bun, but not on this one. I wonā€™t reengage in the pub burger vs fast food burger debate, but at $9 for single burger and non-alcoholic beverage it did seem a tad expensive, compared to my standards in either category (Golden State for a bigger burger that comes with fries at about $14 with a drink and McDonaldā€™s (donā€™t judge) for a McDouble, small fries and drink at about $5 depending on their current promotions). But Iā€™d happily go back to SS if the line isnā€™t long.

5 Likes

We went to the SS Hollywood/Vine on Saturday night. I really donā€™t get it. It may have been an off night, but the burger was one of the blandest Iā€™ve had. It kind of reminded me of something youā€™d get from a school cafeteria. Iā€™m no burger snob; I love burgers of all shapes, sizes, and prices, but my wife and I agreed that we donā€™t need to go back.

Bummer but thatā€™s probably what it was. There are some reasonable criticisms of the burger, most notably that they serve it well done. But if your burger was bland, something went very wrong. If anything, they tend to over-salt the patties.

1 Like

That was my impression the very first time I had SS. Some 5 years later Iā€™m a solid SS convert.

The chicknā€™shack converted me, but nowadays a smoke shack is an equally common order.

Have you tried the BBQ Shackmeister? I think thatā€™s my current favorite.

Good to know. Thanks. I may have to give it another shot sometime.

Might have to give it a go today, I was eye-fucking it last time but accidentally ordered a smoke shack due to muscle memory.

//edit

Goddamnit no longer on the menu. Replaced with double cheeseburger with bacon and bacon cheese fries.

At Glendale location they also removed the plastic cups and replaced them with shitty triangle paper cups, thus removing the ability to have a water with your meal.

$7 chicken sandwich. Had to hack myself a water cup

6 Likes

LOL. That is redonkulous. At least at Apple Pan there is a holder. How are you suppose to enjoy your meal with those cups? Double fist it?

Well I finally checked out the W. Hollywood Shake Shake. Unlike previous posters, I only went there because they are extremely dog friendly. They even have a couple of items to buy for your pooch at the end of the menu. I ordered a Smoke Shake, meant to ask for a double but forgot and ended up with a single. Asked for it rare and was told as previously mentioned they only cook ā€˜em well done. Almost walked out but stayed cause I couldnā€™t think of a dog friendly plan B place to go. Got Rocky my rescue pup a Bag Oā€™ Bones, 5 dog biscuits for $7.99 and a lemonade for me. Burger was just ok in my book. If Rocky wasnā€™t my dining companion I would not go back. There are so many better burgers in L.A. Yes The Golden State and several more. I will go back and try some of the other items recommended in this thread because eventually Rocky will want to go and get another Bag Oā€™ Bones, he did really like them!

3 Likes

for the price of the bag of bones might as well go all the way.

16 Likes

@sel and @Ns1, I want to be your dog.

2 Likes

@Ns1,

Your dog is SO CUTE! :blush:

4 Likes

Unfortunately that dog passed away due to cancer; Shake Shack was on his bucket list. Along with 85ā€™, Salt & Straw, tacos, et al.

yā€™all can follow our dogs here:

https://www.instagram.com/queensbeststumpydogrescue/

4 Likes

Hi @Ns1,

!!! :cry: So sorry to hear. :frowning:

Looking at the IG, Iā€™m so glad youā€™re doing so much for the other rescue dogs.

1 Like

there is only one response to this:

5 Likes

That anti-LGBTQ stance is bad enough, but check out the terrifying list of ingredients in C-F-Aā€™s chicken sandwich:

chicken (whole breast filet, seasoning [salt, monosodium glutamate, sugar, spices, paprika], seasoned coater [enriched bleached wheat flour {with malted barley flour, niacin, iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid}, sugar, salt, monosodium glutamate, nonfat milk, leavening {baking soda, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate}, spice, soybean oil, color {paprika}], milk wash [water, nonfat milk, egg], peanut oil [fully refined peanut oil, with Dimethylpolysiloxane, an anti-foam agent added]), bun (bleached, enriched wheat flour [wheat flour, barley malt, niacin, iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid], water, sugar, yeast, soybean oil, wheat gluten, salt, vinegar, calcium sulfate, citric acid, ascorbic acid, enzymes), butter oil (soybean oil, palm oil, salt, natural butter flavor and beta carotene for color), pickle (cucumbers, water, vinegar, salt, calcium chloride, alum, potassium sorbate [preservatives], natural flavors, polysorbate 80, yellow 5, blue 1).

It seems like more of a chemical concoction than a healthy chicken sandwich - MSG way high on the list (and listed twice), many chemicals and two artificial colors. Iā€™d pass even if I were a right-wing fundamentalist.

https://www.chick-fil-a.com/Menu-Items/Chick-fil-A-Chicken-Sandwich

2 Likes

Nooo!!!

Good dog, great owner. So sorry for your loss.

I donā€™t know what all those things are but not all are bad. And I have NO problem with MSG, cook with it myself at times.

1 Like

Catholiver, MSG is an excitotoxin that can damage the brain and its consumption should obviously be limited.

http://americannutritionassociation.org/newsletter/review-excitotoxins-taste-kills