The Manufactory (Tartine Bianco, Alameda Supper Club, The Market) - ROW DTLA

Had a surprisingly good dinner at tartine bianco. Given the menu at the sf manufactory and the new partnership with chris bianco I was really surprised when i saw no pizzas, flatbreads or pastas at all on the menu, you’ll find those next door at the “market.” I also liked that the menu wasn’t dominated by seeds, grains, and vegetables like some places and had as many offal dishes as vegetarian ones.

Service was extremely friendly and knowledgeable for their first night as well. The kitchen just needs to work on its pacing, the first four dishes all came out within the first 15 minutes.

menu with prices for @ChineseChou, @hppzz, @js76wisco, @Bookwich

smørrebrød - uni, kohlrabi, mustard seed, lardo
Great start. Uni was super fresh and lardo was silky smooth, nothing overpowered.

marina di chioggia soup, pumpkin seed, maple gastrique
Squash soup was creamy and rich with a bit of sweetness. Very good.

grilled chicken oysters and hearts, xo sauce, mint, basil, gem
Super tender nuggets of chicken came with veggies to make your own wraps. Loved the xo sauce.

sweetbreads, crispy red rice, yam, fermented chili, amaranth, mustard frill
Surprise highlight of the night. This was like the best crispy parts of a dolsot bibimbap. Perfectly balanced with the crispy rice, tender sweetbreads and soft, sweet yams. Delicious.

whole “hot” fish - new zealand tai snapper, dilly bean, watercress, country croutons, delta sauce
This couldn’t have been cooked anymore perfectly, skin was crispy and the meat juicy and moist. They could make this a bit spicier, this was maybe a howlin’ ray’s mild in heat.

spiced date cake, spelt, brandy toffee sauce, orange creamsicle ice cream
The top was creme-brulee’d. Good.

Haven’t seen this before

toto

Tartine Bianco
757 S Alameda St,
Los Angeles, CA 90021

I got to try the (off-menu) flatbreads and they’re great. Apparently they’re only temporarily offering them in the tartine bianco dining room if you ask nicely. The server explained they eventually want the flatbreads to be exclusive to the market bar, not sure how well that’ll go over with the crowds. Almost every table around me had multiple orders of it and i watched every new table, after eyeing their neighbor’s flatbread and discovering it wasn’t on the menu, asking their server about it.

Pacing is still off, even after asking to have everything coursed out i still got everything at once and had to send the morcilla back to the kitchen.

ham, comte, mustard seed, thyme, honey
great

crushed bianco dinapoli tomato, parmigiano reggiano, basil
good

eggplant dip, fermented red pepper
bread was delicious as expected. the dip was okay.

chicken liver, kumquat, blood orange
the liver was a bit thinner than i’m used to but still tasty. like a chicken liver pb&j, or a cl&j.

morcilla, apple, mustard, fines herbes
A little crumbly and not very hemoglobin-forward, served with a sweet apple like sauce, fine.

grilled wild blue shrimp, carrot sofrito, hoja santa, ember roasted carrot
as soon as they put this down i could tell by the decapitated shrimp that something was off. taking a bite, my suspicions were confirmed. the meat was soft and mushy like it was sitting in a marinade for too long. i sent it back and it was taken off the bill. they said after inspecting the rest of their shrimp they’re taking the entire dish off the menu for the night. not sure how a whole batch of bad shrimp went undetected and made it out of the kitchen.

ginger tart, almond cream, rye, lemon marshmallow, meringue kisses

Coffee and ice cream window now open. Grand opening early feb.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs8kCyThytZ/?hl=en

The Manufactory
757 S Alameda St,
Los Angeles, CA 90021

13 Likes

They only need add:

: + Donuts + Chinese Food

and they’ll be golden.

3 Likes

I’ll never forget the one on the way to my middle school, endlessly funny (to 12 year old me):

Hamburger Pizza / / \ \ Teriyaki Milkshake

1 Like

https://www.yelp.com/biz/new-england-fish-and-chips-and-chinese-food-alhambra

3 Likes

3 Likes

I got what you need

https://m.yelp.com/biz/moms-donut-and-chinese-food-to-go-los-angeles

https://m.yelp.com/biz/randys-donuts-and-chinese-food-inglewood-6

2 Likes

Had a surprisingly good dinner at tartine bianco. Given the menu at the sf manufactory and the new partnership with chris bianco I was really surprised when i saw no pizzas, flatbreads or pastas at all on the menu, you’ll find those next door at the “market.” I also liked that the menu wasn’t dominated by seeds, grains, and vegetables like some places and had as many offal dishes as vegetarian ones.

Service was extremely friendly and knowledgeable for their first night as well. The kitchen just needs to work on its pacing, the first four dishes all came out within the first 15 minutes.

menu with prices for @ChineseChou, @hppzz, @js76wisco, @Bookwich

smørrebrød - uni, kohlrabi, mustard seed, lardo
Great start. Uni was super fresh and lardo was silky smooth, nothing overpowered. As good as marea’s.

marina di chioggia soup, pumpkin seed, maple gastrique
Squash soup was creamy and rich with a bit of sweetness. Very good.

grilled chicken oysters and hearts, xo sauce, mint, basil, gem
Super tender nuggets of chicken came with veggies to make your own wraps. Loved the xo sauce.

sweetbreads, crispy red rice, yam, fermented chili, amaranth, mustard frill
Surprise highlight of the night. This was like the best crispy parts of a dolsot bibimbap. Perfectly balanced with the crispy rice, tender sweetbreads and soft, sweet yams. Delicious.

whole “hot” fish - new zealand tai snapper, dilly bean, watercress, country croutons, delta sauce
This couldn’t have been cooked anymore perfectly, skin was crispy and the meat juicy and moist. They could make this a bit spicier, this was maybe a howlin’ ray’s mild in heat.

spiced date cake, spelt, brandy toffee sauce, orange creamsicle ice cream
The top was creme-brulee’d. Good.

Haven’t seen this before

toto

Tartine Bianco
757 S Alameda St,
Los Angeles, CA 90021

13 Likes

Thanks for the menu and prices. Very surprised that there aren’t any pizzas on the menu. I may cancel my original reservation bc I was going to take the kids.

1 Like

Thanks for the writeup. The menu looks so… “Arts District” (?), for lack of a better phrase.

Maybe I need a break from this type of menu. I’ve been too BavelSimoneManuelaNightshaded out lately, and the total absence of any pizza on this Bianco menu confirms my fears that it’ll be more of the same.

I’m gonna take a pass on this place for now. Anyone want my solo Tartine Bianco rezzie for 9:45pm tomorrow night (1/31)? PM me if you do.

Strangeways (and by that I mean Tacos 1986), here I come…

10 Likes

Thanks! Menu looks great. And prices are pretty good. We’ll see how adventurous the kids become, hearts and oysters here we come!

1 Like

BTW the full menu is online:

(linked from the home page, top right)

1 Like

Grabbed a few bites here tonight and bugged them for some flatbreads which were tasty but the restaurant/menu is so white… Bianco made some special in the back.

As @J_L said, it’s just so basic and doesn’t stand out menu wise from top restaurants in the sphere in LA rn… rather go to majordomo, Bavel, bestia any day over this place.

Bread plate with 3 butters —- this was a very tasty app and the bread is excellent… still prefer mozza or gjusta breads

Prosciutto flat bread - this was drizzled in honey really tasty

Margherita flatbread

Avocado smorraborg

1 Like

Thanks @PorkyBelly and @skramzlife. Considering canceling for now until they get entire operation up and running with more options at market place and alemeda supper club.

Also had a great dinner at Tartine tonight. There was a rainbow overhead as they opened. Must be good luck.

Echo all Pork Belly said and will add (and apologize for the hideous photos) that the assorted breads with three butters (kefir butter, lardo, and nori butter) was great but only six small pieces of bread.

Punterelle

Olives (someone who lives part time in Spain said some of the best ever)

Morcilla

Bone marrow (needed a little seasoning)

Roasted chicken, pork shoulder (also needed seasoning :salt:)

Also, ginger tart, ice creams…all solid. The morcilla is my favorite.

The flatbreads will be served at the Market Bar adjacent to the restaurant along with tinned seafood and assorted tapas. Wish I had snapped a pick of that menu. Looks great. Counter seating only and no resy’s. Yes, Chris Bianco can cook great food other than pizza.

The wine list is one of the most reasonable and incredible in LA.

Cocktails were inventive without overpromising.

Blood orange :tangerine: shrub was great.

Lots of industry there after the Los Angeles Magazine event.

Tartine Bianco is ready to go. No need to wait til they work out some jitters. Our course pacing was fine.

Can’t wait to return.

Very excited about Melissa Perello’s M. Georgina opening around the corner.

9 Likes

Me too. Huh. No pizza?

Hot Fish is great looking.
Thanks for the write-up!

2 Likes

it’s probably for the best @J_L. not the best place for luddites.

From the menu

The manufactory is cashless in order to offer faster, cleaner, & safer service. Thank you!

1 Like

And now I know I won’t like this place… :smiley: #cashiskinganonymous

3 Likes

The “flatbreads” are at the “market”, not sure about pizza.

Am I the only one that is REALLY annoyed with the back of the house surcharge that’s popping up everywhere? I freaking HATE it. We’re now up to 5%??? No thanks.

1 Like