The Overheard Thread

Jon & Vinny’s

“I need to lose 10lbs, sugar is the devil”

Orders a chocolate chip cookie for dessert.

5 Likes

Triple 8 Restaurant & Bar

Dining companion 1: “Do you like your chicken dumplings?”

Dining companion 2: “I’ll tell you after they bring me more soy sauce.”

3 Likes

Jinya Ramen

DC1 -
“I’ve never had ramen that wasn’t out of a cup”
“I’ll have the miso ramen. Can I get it without pork? I don’t eat pork”

Waiter -
“Well we don’t have miso soup, the broth is made out of pork…”

DC1 -
“…broth?..”

DC2 -
“what’s the difference between ramen and pho?”

It wouldn’t have been to painful if it didn’t look like a 5th tinder date in public. The waiter and I had a r/watchpeopledieinside moment.

3 Likes

Not to get too deep in snarkitude here, but my favorite overheard conversation goes back a few years, to the time when the white woman freaked out over seeing a frozen raccoon at a Temple City market. The next evening, while seated in a tea house, I overhead this comment:

“Great! Now where am I gonna go to make spicy raccoon noodle soup?” (this comment was followed by a great deal of laughter).

2 Likes

That was me.

8 Likes

Mori Sushi

“Can we get the nigiri omakase with no rice?”

4 Likes

Is this true life?

I’m more interested in Maru san’s response.

3 Likes

TBH someone should cash in with a Keto Omakase

4 Likes

:rofl:

Next up:

“Can we get the pho with no noodles?”

“Can we get the tacos al pastor with no tortilla?”

“Can we get banh mi with no bread?”

:stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

After reading this, I feel like such an ancient Levantine. I’m tossing out the dozen pastries I just returned with from Chaumont - NOT!

2 Likes

Oh my. And a great contribution to the thread.

I know SO little about sushi but even I know that much.

maru-san wasn’t there but the reaction was something like this:

6 Likes

my girl ordered pho with noodles on the side last time she she could live her carb free life

Witnessed the same stupid request, made by a Chinese tourist at Kyubey honten in Ginza. The chef was super confused at first, but in the end they accommodated the request. The customer then proceeded to play videos on his phone, which he placed squarely on the counter, for the duration of his “nigiri omakase sans shari” course. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

What a d-bag. Effing nouveau riche…

2 Likes

Overheard at Sukiyabashi Jiro Honten, request made by American tourist to Jiro Ono-san about 12 pieces into a 20 piece omakase lunch:

“I’m getting really full. Can I get the rest to go?”

5 Likes

Sushi I-Naba

“I know my testicles”

―woman after eating and correctly identifying shirako.

8 Likes

20 years ago I went to Miami and noticed all the Chinese restaurant menus had separate chow mein and lo mein sections. When I asked why I was told that “chow mein” dishes came WITHOUT NOODLES and if you wanted noodles you would order lo mein.

3 Likes