The places you eat at most often

Agree Spanish is really weak but it’s not really a strength of other cities. Sure NYC has a few, Chicago has/had Vera and the more modern Avec, but I wonder what American city has a truly strong Spanish food scene. I haven’t found that city.

Nooooo! Michelin, keep your formula-driven critics out of our creative city, I say! The only Michelin products I buy are shoes for my cars.

3 Likes

Maybe you could pay them not to come back?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2017/10/24/south-korea-paid-big-money-to-commission-its-michelin-guide-does-that-mean-u-s-cities-could-do-the-same/

At a certain point, with all the growth Michelin is doing across compelling food cities in the Pacific Rim, it’s a detriment to them NOT to have Los Angeles on there. LA is one of the world’s most important cities, culturally and economically, not just in the food sense. I’d argue they were premature in coming to LA in 2008, but since then the food scene has become a national and international powerhouse. But yeah, I agree that their formulaic approach to reviewing restaurants could potentially hurt the scene too.

Anyway, this thread isn’t about Michelin, it’s about places you eat at most often, and by that, I would put: Apple Pan, Taste of Tehran, Tacos Leo/Tamix, The Corner Place, Korean Super, and recently, Felix.

1 Like

Splitting 5 should suffice.

rahel ethiopian (the buffet lunch)
settebello in mdr

What do you get at Taste of Tehran?

What time do you go? I generally go early.

Mendocino Farms, 800 Degrees Pizza, BCD Tofu House, Daikokuya, Grand Central Market, Kula, Blockhead’s Shavery, and two neighborhood spots in the Palisades, Pearl Dragon and Vittorio’s Ristorante.

That is an old-fashioned mafia protection racket if ever there was one.

1 Like

I know we don’t have a lot of Greek restaurants, but we have one really good one, Papa Cristo’s.

I only went to Sofi’s once. I was not impressed with the food. The reason I won’t return is that a giant cockroach fell from a tree onto our table. The waitstaff killed the cockroach on our table and acted like it was no big deal.

My go-to recently is OB Bear. So good, open so late, and just an amazing place to get drunk and chow down late. Squid noodles from last night.

4 Likes

Ssam is still good?

Haven’t been in a long time but I would think so.

Green Olive. The hot sauce is properly spicy. The garlic sauce is good. The falafel has a lot of parsley and it’s tasty. The meat is always well seasoned. The owner is delightful. The food is cheap. Nothing not to like if you don’t require fancy surroundings. Sometimes I’ll bring it home and drink it with an expensive bottle of wine. I’m becoming an expert on pairing cheap Middle Eastern food with French and Italian wines. Cannonau is my favorite pairing, but you have to avoid the monster high alcohol ones. Global warming. Soon wine everywhere will be 16%.

Green Olive on SM Blvd in Westwood or a different Green Olive? Thanks.

I would love to know if that place is good…

Sushi Don, Valley Village. When I want sushi and only have $20.

3 Likes

I think you can harvest earlier in the harvest to control the strength?