The Poke and Sushi Burrito Trend

This setup sounds very similar to assembly-line arrangement at Pokirrito. As you move down the line, the selected base is put in first, then the selected seafood item(s) are tossed with the marinade of your choice, in a separate container. Then the two are combined. Finally, you choose your toppings at another location and after that you reach the pay station. The marinating time is the time it takes for you to get through the toppings station, pay, and walk to your table. Very short since the line moves quickly.

When I have had poke at several small shacks/shops in Hawaii (various islands), most of them are marinated/mixed in with flavorings (i.e. seaweed, shoyu base, kakui nut, etc). I don’t mean an acid component that would cook it. I am curious why that is not common in San Diego.

After your posts, I was interested in learning exactly what the essential differences were between ceviche, sashimi, and poke. This succinct article spells out those differences:

Basically:

Ceviche = raw fish marinated in strong citrus juice to “cook” it.

Sashimi = sliced raw fish w/o marinating; may or may not have a sauce.

Poke = cubed raw fish with a sauce, in a bowl, sometimes with rice underneath. It’s not necessarily marinated in the sauce like those you’ve had in Hawaii – although marinating would obviously intensify the flavor. The sauces used for poke have no acid, as you mentioned; which is to say, the fish isn’t “cooked”.

1 Like

I’ve not been to any of these places, so please consider my comments in the abstract.

I don’t like the assemble-your-own concepts like Subway, Chipotle and even Lemonade. Likely because I’m a simpleton and wish to avoid facing down the myriad of choices.

Again sounding like a place for which I’m not a good fit.

Went to Pokkirito and got a poke bowl. First thought was “obnoxiously loud j-pop” as I walked in. Ugh.

Anyway, fish portions were larger than that of SD Poke Co. Fish cubes actually a bit too large and the tuna didn’t seem as tender. I preferred the sides/toppings at Pokkirito and the brown rice was a bit sweet and tender instead of tough and grainy which was nice. Poke sauce itself had very little flavor. I liked you could do combos of fish/shellfish in a regular bowl (i.e. tuna and salmon, tuna and shrimp, etc) so I will go back to try a few of the combos and sauces. Still searching for someone that even comes somewhat close to Da Poke Shack. Hell, Costco might have the best island poke in SD at this point!

Yeah Mr K, the poke was good not great. The octopus was not tender or succulent, but the ahi was pretty good. Plan to try the albacore and scallops next time. I also heard that they recently added yakitori to the menu and am interested to try Watanabe’s take on it

We already discussed this up above. Lack of ingredients, ignorance, general ennui all play into it.

I don’t fully agree except maybe with the ignorance part. The current popular style of poke is far different than what I usually have on the islands and it isn’t the quality of ingredients. Whoever Costco sources from seems to make a much closer approximation than anything any of these new places (that I have tried).

It seems like most of the new places (and many local restaurants) approach poke as only having seen it on Food Network vs having tried it all over Hawaii. i assume at least of few of these restauranteurs spent significant time around Islander cuisine, so what gives?

“so what gives”

Cash in on a trend…ride that horse till it drops…cash out and move on to the “next big thing”…

Is it that places really don’t know islander poke, or is it more that chefs are trying to put there own personal stamp on poke and make it their own. One way you fail is because of a lack of knowledge the other way is a failure because your ego gets in the way.

That’s a pretty big assumption.

I’d say it’s safer to assume that none of these restauranteurs have “spent significant time around Islander cuisine”.

And that’s what gives.

Pokenoya has an island vibe. Murakai Market in Little Tokyo makes decent poke to go.

Neither are in SD, however. (At least not the Murakai in Little Tokyo).

Can’t dispute that. Although there is a Pokenoya in Irvine, it seems.

Why go all the way up to Irvine when Kawamata Seafood is in Capistrano Beach. Really enjoy the place. The outdoor seating is a bit rustic, but that’s a bit of the vibe.
There is also a fairly long article in today’s UT about poke, and it does go over the difference between Hawaiian and California poke.

Link?

Here you go. Kawamata Seafood per @J_L

And for what it’s worth, they make a mighty fine musubi.

Sadly no Katsu musubi though

Thank you very much.

Here’s one person’s take on the top spots for poke in SD (per the UT).