The running goose beef ribs, has anyone else tried it?

WOW! How much?

the menu said it was a 16 ozer and for 44 bucks.

but would you say that a 42 ozer would run and my math is pretty fucking fuzzy but over 100 fucking smackers ???

though it does seem from the looks of that picture that the short rib is not really short in fact ???

and it may just be a perpetual item of utter transcendence ??? deserving of the aformentioned Rothko plus a somewhat restrained Jasper Johns for a piece of true Americana unlike the other short rib in Hollywood with itā€™s confetti of garnshishes that makes one utterly pine for the capricious and whimsical careless abandon of colors worthy of a Pollock ??? not to be confused with the pollock fish of course, but of course ???

and that ainā€™t no fucking joke.

Sorry, my bad, itā€™s a 16oz rib for $42 (last I went, looks like $44 now).

I confused the cost for the oz of meat lol

oh, now that makes sense.

it did look a tiny bitt smaller right ???

please try it and report back on the fucking double once again, perchance.

Iā€™ve had the Odys & Penelope rib. Itā€™s fucking incredible. One of the best pieces of meat Iā€™ve ever had the pleasure of ingesting for sure, that ainā€™t no fuckinā€™ joke.

Why was it so great ???

The fattiness ???

The cutting duties by the chef ???

the perfect doneness ???

the smokiness ???

better than the guy in italy in tuscany or the bistecca fiorentina or the tomahawk chop from chia pet spicca ???

thanks. it does sound pretty fucking dope and thatā€™s no fucking joke.

1 Like

All of the above for sure. Not sure why it isnā€™t talked about more often.

But I havenā€™t had the smoked prime rib at Maple Block or the foie gras butter sous-vide tomahwak at Hanjip yetā€¦ so who am I to say really?

Indeed. you have not.

but who are any of us to say with absolute, unqualified, perpetual certainting as if it were possible to ascertain the pertaining of a thing with unquestionable certainty ???

and that is definitely no fucking joke.

awesome. you fkn crack me up

What does ā€œfknā€ mean for fuckā€™s sake ???

damn, iā€™m getting hungry once more and i just had fucking diner.

and thatā€™s no fucking joke.

short hand for fucking

1 Like

I hate cilantro but at least it looks like I could pick it off. I do like having something pickled to cut the richness. Iā€™ve gotten into the habit of enjoying my bbq with some pickled jalapenos and a slice of raw onion on the side.

all this referring to ā€œshort ribsā€ as ā€œbeef ribsā€ is a shanda for the neighbors. when i think of beef ribs, itā€™s those
things your prime rib roast is attached to.
short ribs a different dish entirely.

2 Likes

Short ribs are a different cut than the Running Goose ribs which are beef back ribs. (Yes, theyā€™re a similar cut as Kalbi, just whole.) The beef back ribs are what Linus is referring to - the bones underneath the Prime Rib. Theyā€™re both ribs - theyā€™re just cut from different ribs, and different parts of the ribs.

And, theyā€™re not an entirely different dish. FWIW - Most BBQ places in or around the Austin area are cooking plate short ribs or chuck short ribs, not back ribs. The only place I had back ribs was Salt Lick.

Personally, Iā€™d take chuck or plate short ribs any day of the week over beef back ribs. Beef back ribs are, by weight, probably 70-80% bone; beef short ribs or plate ribs are probably closer to 40% bone by weight, in my experience. So, if youā€™re paying by weight, youā€™re way better off buying short ribs if the price per pound is comparable. (Back ribs are not necessarily cheaper than short ribs per pound, and may be smaller depending on how theyā€™re cut.) And, personally, I like short rib meat better. Back ribs are higher up on the cow, so the meat is leaner and chewier, and thereā€™s a lot less meat.

I donā€™t really know how one can compare steak to BBQ because youā€™re comparing meats that are usually done to the opposite ends of the spectrum - rare to medium rare for steaks, and very well done for BBQ - and most steaks, except for Kobe or Wagyu, or Rib Eye Cap, are neither very rich or fatty, and most beef BBQ is rather rich and fatty, except for shoulder clod, lean/flat beef brisket, and beef back ribs. But, the richness and tenderness of the best beef barbecue such as burnt ends, moist/fatty/point beef brisket, properly cooked beef short ribs - canā€™t, generally, be matched by any steak. But, then again, barbecue doesnā€™t have any semblance of the taste or texture of rare beef.

Still, the Odys beef rib is one of the best eating beef ribs in LA, IMHO. Although itā€™s expensive, itā€™s good quality, and cooked right - great tenderness, well rendered but moist, and not mushy. Some people may think itā€™s not seasoned enough or smoky enough, but I think itā€™s good. Iā€™d rather taste meat than a lot of smoke. The sauces there are generally good as well.

3 Likes

well, everyone likes what they like. short ribs and back ribs (thanks for the info, thatā€™s what i suspected they were called) taste different to me and have a very different texture.

as far as the meat to bone ratio you speak of, well, o.k., thatā€™s a fact. but, as someone once said, ā€œif i wanted meat, iā€™d order meat. i want ribs.ā€

i have eaten both bbq short ribs and back ribs in texas, and elsewhere. i prefer bbq back ribs.

again, when i hear the word ā€œribs,ā€ i automatically think of back ribs. i would contend until very recently ā€“ i havenā€™t been to texas in a while ā€“ so did most people. short ribs are in my experience specified as such from the jump. this has changed in the past couple few years in my experience, and ā€œbeef ribsā€ in bbq joints can get you short ribs.
feh.

edit: weā€™re talking exclusively about beef here. pork is another matter. donā€™t get me started on ā€œbaby backs.ā€ double feh.

I really like that fucking quote and I may just fucking run with it.

kevin, i didnā€™t invent it. i heard it on a t.v. show. just fyi. you go run all you like.

oh, my fucking bad.

sounds good.

and I better hit up these beef ribs, I ainā€™t getting any fucking younger.

Reviving this thread from the grave to ask about Running Goose. Iā€™ll be down for a few weeks over the holidays and already thinking about new places to try and favorites to return to. My friend posted a photo of her recent meal here, which included salt cod churros :stuck_out_tongue: Sounds incredible, and they looked great in her photo. I scoped out the menu and the masa gnocchi sounds like something Iā€™d like as well. Any recent reports from FTCers?

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/running-goose-los-angeles?select=bkFniI1vcLKnxBnhljiViA&utm_campaign=www_photo_share_popup&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=(direct)

Yelp photo of salt cod churros for reference

1 Like