The Truffle Guru (and Sushi Master) - Shunji Japanese Cuisine [Thoughts + Pics]

This (30 pieces) costs about $500 with tax/tip right?

That knife work though

I got the omakase and wasn’t charged per piece, or at least it wasn’t itemized on my bill.

Is there some kind of massive cost savings by doing that?

How can you over order on an omakase, do you just keep telling them to keep bringing sushi, but it’s all covered by a set price?

no they will charge you based on the amount that you eat. If you keep ordering, your bill will keep going up. YOu just won’t get an itemized receipt when you get your bill.

1 Like

11 posts were split to a new topic: Inquiring about the cost of a meal: Copacetic or Verboten?

my guess is that it’s probably less than that.

Thanks for the additional thoughts, @PorkyBelly. :slight_smile:

You have me craving to go back asap. :smile:

How was the Negitoro Handroll?

For shellfish, it might just be the season. There was one visit where Shunji-san gave us like 4 different types.

I don’t know about calculating ala carte vs. Omakase, but our Shunji Omakase meals are usually from $125 - $175 range, depending on specials that night like fresh Hokkaido Hairy Crab, etc.

And the fluctuation depends on if we ordered additional pieces after the standard course was done.

Appreciate the info. That is prior to tax and tip right? Interesting that prices haven’t changed much in 3 years.

Yes. I think the cheapest visit was about $110 +tax&tip, about 1.5 years ago.

It was very good, i liked the different textures, nice crispy nori, creamy toro and crunchy pickles. I prefer it to the blue crab hand roll.

1 Like

Thanks @PorkyBelly. Sounds great. :slight_smile:

In all our visits, we’ve never been offered the Negitoro Handroll. :slight_smile: I’ll try and request it next time.

Love this report @Chowseeker1999. I’m continually amazed at how much information you get. Do they tell you as they’re serving? Or do you ask? Or is it possible that you know? :relaxed:

1 Like

[quote=“PorkyBelly, post:24, topic:4422”]
negitoro hand roll
[/quote]You ate a hand roll :relaxed:.

Thanks @TheCookie. :slight_smile:

We ask the chef. And as they get to know us, they just start telling us as each course comes out, knowing we appreciate the info. :wink:

Great. You have such a good memory then.

Porky how much was whole bill for you?

and number of pieces ?

It was $172 before tax and tip. I had 32 pieces.

3 Likes

That’s actually not too bad. What does that equate to time wise, 2 hours? Or do you slam it out Jiro style - 30 minutes.