The Truffle Guru (and Sushi Master) - Shunji Japanese Cuisine [Thoughts + Pics]

Yes. I think the cheapest visit was about $110 +tax&tip, about 1.5 years ago.

It was very good, i liked the different textures, nice crispy nori, creamy toro and crunchy pickles. I prefer it to the blue crab hand roll.

1 Like

Thanks @PorkyBelly. Sounds great. :slight_smile:

In all our visits, we’ve never been offered the Negitoro Handroll. :slight_smile: I’ll try and request it next time.

Love this report @Chowseeker1999. I’m continually amazed at how much information you get. Do they tell you as they’re serving? Or do you ask? Or is it possible that you know? :relaxed:

1 Like

[quote=“PorkyBelly, post:24, topic:4422”]
negitoro hand roll
[/quote]You ate a hand roll :relaxed:.

Thanks @TheCookie. :slight_smile:

We ask the chef. And as they get to know us, they just start telling us as each course comes out, knowing we appreciate the info. :wink:

Great. You have such a good memory then.

Porky how much was whole bill for you?

and number of pieces ?

It was $172 before tax and tip. I had 32 pieces.

3 Likes

That’s actually not too bad. What does that equate to time wise, 2 hours? Or do you slam it out Jiro style - 30 minutes.

[quote=“Ns1, post:44, topic:4422”]
That’s actually not too bad.
[/quote]True. When I saw they don’t list prices on their website I figured it was one of those “If you have to ask, you can’t afford it” type establishments. But that seems pretty reasonable for those incredible selections.

Yes I’m a hypocrite. I just talked price :flushed:.

Hi @TheCookie,

No no, it’s fine to ask about that. :slight_smile: As I mentioned earlier our Omakase dinners usually run between $125 - $175, depending on seasonal items and add-ons. You can also mention to the server when you make the reservation that you’d like to keep the price within a certain range and they’ll accommodate.

1 Like

They also have a great lunch special if you’re not a glutton like me: $23 for 7 pieces or $40 for 12, each option includes a hand roll and miso soup. Great way to whet your appetite. Warning: it’ll be hard to go any where else after eating at Shunji.

2 Likes

Great suggestion @PorkyBelly! :slight_smile: Yah Shunji’s Lunch Special is a nice way to sample some of the great sushi offerings for cheap.

1 Like

I’ve never ever left Shunji’s satisfied after their $40 lunch special. Always leave hungry.

One time, i did indulge myself and ordered some additional items after the lunch special and left with a $100 lunch bill. Oops.

You’re great. Thanks!

That seems pretty sweet. [quote=“PorkyBelly, post:47, topic:4422”]
Warning: it’ll be hard to go any where else after eating at Shunji.
[/quote]That’s what I’m afraid of.

[quote=“tailbacku, post:49, topic:4422”]
I’ve never ever left Shunji’s satisfied after their $40 lunch special.
[/quote]They just want me to get my feet wet.

It was a nice leisurely 2 hours, nothing like the bang bang I had at Jiro.

1 Like

how quick and how much was Jiro