The World’s Best Food Market Is Being Built in L.A

I could have just hit “like” but I want to add emphasis to what you wrote. I’ve only been to NYC Eataly twice but I could live there :slight_smile: And you’re correct - far more than ‘just’ Italian.

Regarding “World’s Best,” I’ll bet if/when Bourdain’s place opens, IT will get that crown.

The Eataly in Rome was all or nearly all Italian, but from every region. It was too mall-like for me but it was a great place to shop.

Have you been to the one in Manhattan? I didn’t have that feeling but appreciate your reply.

I haven’t been to New York in almost ten years. I looked at their online store and they didn’t have any of the things I bought at the one in Rome.

Catering to quite specific markets, I suppose. The NYC store is divided up in such a way - with food to eat in the middle! - that for me it really contributed to it.

1 Like

Everytime I visit the Ferry Market in SF, I feel ripped off… in a tourist trap sort of way.

Not so with Eataly, sure dine in food prices are relatively high - however quality is good and I don’t feel gouged. What stunned me was the price of the produce, cheaper than whole foods!! If I lived in NYC, could see myself shopping there on a regular basis, good selection under 1 roof.

1 Like

They have a really good selection of fresh produce, cheeses, olive oil, as well as meat and seafood.

Basically, it’s like Whole Foods with an ethnic slant.

1 Like

Aha!! But, Ipse, this is the same Bianco involved that you told me isn’t what it used to be… no?

Yes–while I was visiting :slight_smile:

It was so crowded that it was hard to enjoy, but I did have a really good italian sausage sandwich.

Chris Bianco, Tartine owners partner in massive market, restaurant in downtown LA
Dominic Armato , The Republic | azcentral.com Published 4:32 p.m. MT Jan. 6, 2017 | Updated 1 hour ago

Chris Bianco (c) and his staff at Tratto in Phoenix, Tuesday, October 4, 2016.(Photo: Michael Chow/The Republic)
Home is Arizona. But if Chris Bianco can impact the way people grow, produce and eat food on a larger scale, he’s going to do it.
“I am in California quite a bit for my tomato business,” Bianco told The Republic on Friday. "And because we’re in the West, how do we continue to nurture sustainable food economies in the West?
To that end, Phoenix’s James Beard Award-winning chef is partnering with Chad Robertson and Elisabeth Prueitt of San Francisco’s Tartine Bakery and Los Angeles restaurateur Bill Chait to open the massive food and dining complex at The Row DTLA. It calls for three restaurants, a market, a coffee-roasting facility, brewery, milling facility, butcher, ice cream and pastry shop, a large Tartine baking facility and more across a remodeled building in downtown Los Angeles that encompasses more than 35,000 square feet.
Bianco, chef/owner of Pizzeria Bianco, has received local and national acclaim for his new central Phoenix restaurant, Tratto. In this project, he will primarily collaborate with Robertson and Prueitt on the market and restaurant components. The latter will be comprised of:
· A 5,100-square-foot upscale trattoria that will serve dinner.
· A 6,800-square-foot casual restaurant that combines a full-service section with an open-seating market area for counter service and grab-and-go items.
Though the project has not yet been named, it is similar in principle, if not in scope, to Robertson and Prueitt’s Tartine Manufactory in San Francisco, and is scheduled for a phased opening beginning later this year.
RELATED:How many stars for Chris Bianco’s Tratto? (How many you got?) | Chris Bianco ditches pizza, adds panache at Tratto | 12 things only Chris Bianco would say​ | Armato: Best new restaurants of 2016 | Armato: 10 best restaurant dishes of 2016
Reach Armato at dominic.armato@arizonarepublic.com; call at 602-444-8533 or interact with him on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
MORE AZCENTRAL ON SOCIAL: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

AZCENTRAL
Things To Do app: Get the best in events, dining and travel right on your device

FacebookTwitterGoogle+LinkedIn
Tratto restaurant in Phoenix: Where Arizona meets Italy
Fullscreen

Posted!
A link has been posted to your Facebook feed.

Chris Bianco (c) and his staff at Tratto in Phoenix, Tuesday, October 4, 2016. Michael Chow/The Republic
Fullscreen

Tratto is a subtly elegant nook at Tow

The only trustworthy person behind this is Chait. But I wonder if he is just money grabbing to show Sprout up…

Why are the other people not trustworthy?

1 Like

Well to me, they both just run huge hype machine places based off of niche products (a bakery and a pizzeria). Pretty hard to tell what these people bring to the table with a project that will span a dozen unique food businesses.

I worry that it will be more like Otium and less like Bestia basically.

Lots of people love Otium though shrugs

You’re basing this off of personal experience having eaten at Bianco’s restaurant(s) in Arizona and the Tartine bakeries/restaurants in SF?

Is all of your post a quote or is some of it your own writing? I cant tell.

@catholiver

Well Bianco at his best makes better pizza than anywhere in LA so fuck your hype machine and enjoy their food.

Can’t speak for the bakery, but to say people aren’t trustworthy because they’re places are really successful is more than a little bit silly.

1 Like

That is some kind of objective fact?.. I enjoy a lot of pizza in LA more than Bianco’s pizza. Making statements about something being “better than any pizza anywhere else” seems like the epitome of a hpye machine to me. There is no objectively best pizza, or anything in the world.

I think I am entitled to my own opinions. Neither place makes food that wows me. So I see no reason to think that they will make any more food that will wow me.

I’m sure it’ll be very popular; but popular doesn’t equal good to me. shrugs

Yes. Bianco’s pizza is certainly better than anything the Tartine people do. It’s good pizza, but it doesn’t stick out to me as a favorite pizza in my life or anything super noteworthy, while the hype is that it is somehow objectively the best pizza in the world. Tartine has a similar hype around their bread and everything they do, and their bread and pastries etc… aren’t even the best in SF, never mind LA. I would rather eat Gjusta, Lodge, or Superba bread a million times over before eating Tartine bread. But the hype machine says they are the best bakery in the country… totally baffling to me.

I could just be on the other side of the popular majority, but to me just having tons of people like something doesn’t guarantee it will be good or that I will like it. Just like the billions of burgers McDonald’s has served doesn’t make McDonald’s burgers the best in the world…

I guess people are real emotionally tied to these businesses for some reason though.

No one can believe that someone wouldn’t like these places…which seems like a cultlike mentality to the love of these places that is eerie to me. I am sure they will make oodles of cash because of this, but I just doubt anything in their massive new temple will taste particularly good to me.

1 Like

Pizzeria Bianco was much much better before Chris had to take a hiatus due to health concerns. Never really been the same. Though crowds still persist, but certainly not like pre-2007/08.