" _________________ to become the LA Times main restaurant critic."

Isn’t Gustavo Arellano already on staff? He seems like a logical next step

3 Likes

I like this idea!
(Though he rates Anepalco a step above Taco Maria, which, uh, hmm. No. Just no.)

Has he ever written restaurant reviews? He’s written plenty about food but I can’t find any actual reviews.

He might not want the job. His current gig writing an opinion column takes less time and is better for his health.

And who knows if he ran wants to do it but he seems knowledgeable about food, I like his writing and he seems like he’s in line with what JG stood for. Personally I don’t think having been a restaurant reviewer should be disqualifiing

1 Like

The hiring managers would have no way of knowing whether a person with no experience could do the job. It’s too big a risk for such a high-profile column at a paper that’s trying to reestablish itself.

Plus it would be insulting to the people on staff who do have experience and would like that position.

1 Like

How much restaurant experience did Frank Bruni have? How about Wells he went from writing cooking with Dexter and editing to reviewing.

Wells had been editing the reviews for a few years before he started writing them from scratch.

They took a chance on Bruni, but the paper hadn’t just been sold, and William Grimes was no Jonathan Gold.

1 Like

He was Food editor as well for the OC Weekly. Maybe it’s outside the box but I personally enjoy his writing and has written plenty about food. It wouldn’t be a conventional choice but I also don’t think It’s an insult to others to consider him. I guess I’ll just leave it at that

https://www.ocweekly.com/10-great-chilaquiles-in-orange-county-6782034/

1 Like

Google wasn’t much help, but Arellano wrote a weekly restaurant column, “This Hole-in-the-Wall Life,” for years.

Excellent. I was thinking it would take more than one critic to come close to Gold’s breadth and depth.

When SF Weekly was looking to replace its restaurant critic in 2006, they had four? candidates all review the same place. This won.

3 Likes

BRILLIANT! So what happened???

I wrote one review a month for a couple of years until I got tired of it.

Wow, that’s cool! We were gone by then. I loved that one.

Guess that leaves @kevin out.

3 Likes

New food writer. I guess freelance. She used to write for LA Weekly.

http://www.lynnqyu.com

So maybe my idea was over reaching but it looks like he is writing the occasional food piece. I really do like his writing

I am very sad he left the Op Ed pages - his was a very unique voice in that forum, and his writing was indeed excellent. At least he is still with the LATimes.

1 Like