Trader Joe's, movin' on up! So much for 2 buck chuck

is this performance art?

6 Likes

I wasn’t serious that the FDA should shut down TJ. I’m a libertarian and believe people should have the right to shop wherever they want and eat whatever cheeses they want.

I do have something serious to say here. I’ve been to some dirt poor countries in Asia and the people eat better than Americans do. They eat fresh fruits and vegetables, rice, and animals from local farms and fish from local rivers. They don’t have big supermarkets with boxes of dried foods and “gourmet frozen dinners” that are all made in factories.

Americans have become accustomed to eating crap on a daily basis, and that’s why my post seems absurd or elitist. I dream of an America without supermarkets and with legalized camembert.

2 Likes

very true. I’m there weekly.

You are right about this. I guess it’s pretty damn ironic. Makes you wonder what the point of wealth is if it just leads to us living worse than the dirt poor of all the other nations in the world.

context is everything.

1 Like

maybe you could quiz these “noble savages” about which position theyd prefer to be in.

2 Likes

Jeez man…I don’t think people living in nations outside of America are “savages”.

That seems like some wildly xenophobic shit… where do you get that from??

Hell, Americans are the ones eating dog food every day compared to them eating fresh fruits, veggies, and hand-butchered meat…if anything it seems like Americans are the savages

Oh… I don’t think that’s the ONLY reason. :grin:

4 Likes

M[quote=“Alkiegourmand, post:23, topic:1868”]
Americans have become accustomed to eating crap on a daily basis, and that’s why my post seems absurd or elitist. I dream of an America without supermarkets and with legalized camembert.
[/quote]

Can you give me an example of a major developed(ing) world city that has achieved your nirvana where the middle class dine /shop daily and do not eat any of the crap we have to settle for?

2 Likes

$170 is hard to beat for 2005 Lynch-Bages. Total Wine charges $190.

My usual take on TJ’s wine is that the cheap stuff isn’t good and the good stuff isn’t cheap, but they occasionally have good values, such as Sauvignon Republic Sauvignon Blanc and Pasqua Valpolicella Ripasso. Around the holidays they usually have unbeatable prices on quality hard liquor such as Laphroaig.

They have the best peanut butter I’ve found (salted crunchy organic Valencia). I buy crackers, dairy products, mayo, mustard, olive oil, and nuts there, also laundry and dishwasher detergent, dish and hand soap, and coffee filters.

People looking for 2005 Lynch-Bages may go to Trader Joe’s to save $20 or more a bottle.

Trader Joe’s has limited floor space and doesn’t stock products that don’t sell. If I remember the rule a manager told me they drop the 10% worst-selling products every year.

I rarely if every shop at TJ’s.

But sometimes I will go there for hard liquor when a trip to my local Costco just for a bottle of single-malt seems like way too much trouble.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Yep. Definitely fucking performance art. The pre fab version if you will.

And if it’s performance art it ain’t particularly great performance art.

Any city in Continental Europe. Some of them have supermakets on the outskirts but pushing a big cart through a supermarket certainly isn’t a core part of life in Venice or Florence. Venice has fish markets and vegetable markets and bakeries and meat shops. The idea that it’s normal to prepare food from boxes purchased in a supermarket aisle or in a freezer is quintessentially American. It’s a gross consequence of relentless capitalism, which values money over pride and dignity.

To answer another poster’s question: I never shop at supermarkets. Even when I used to cook dinner every day, I would go to farmers markets and specialized seafood stores and cheese stores etc. I find Ralph’s vulgar and whole foods, while better, still is for the most part below decent standards.

I stand by every single thing I said in this thread except that the fda should ban supermarkets. First of all, I think the fda should be disbanded. If they don’t think I should eat unpasteurized cheese, they can picket outside a cheese shop and pass out brochures like the jehovas witnesses. Second, people should have a right to shop wherever they want, even if everything in the store is carcinogenic.

1 Like

This is coming from someone who thinks its cute to say fuck in every post? Laughable.

1 Like

I am sorry if this is overly curious, I really am just curious though, who does it really benefit for the FDA to outlaw unpastuerized cheese? Kraft?.. How does it even do that though? Surely the people eating Kraft Singles aren’t the same ones that are craving unpastuerized cheeses?