Trader Joe's, movin' on up! So much for 2 buck chuck

SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed = female partner? LOL I can relate. You force me look up these acronyms, thereby I learn. Thanks

1 Like

Moisturizer

Really? Interesting. I am guessing it will leave me smelling like eau de yoplait though, won’t it?

1 Like

Yes, if you leave it on.

I suggest, however, that rinsing it off would be the better option.

1 Like

apparently, the popularity of greek style yogurt has created a whey excess that is harming the environment. it’s on the interwebs and stuff.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve read the same and am guilty of pouring it down the drain as well. Maybe this is a beauty products company’s opportunity for a win-win? Yogurt producers would probably be more than happy to hand off the stuff to someone else.

Agree. There’s a container of their organic fresh OJ in my fridge pretty much on the regular.

I mix yogurt whey into my dog’s dry food. She loves it. I mix a teaspoon of plain yogurt in sometimes too.

http://www.jasperhillfarm.com/whey-fed-pork/

I’m not sure when the last time you went to a TJs was, but you do realize that most of their products are not prepackaged instant food? And of the ones they do carry, many are hormone and/or preservative free. They don’t carry those big-name brands like Kraft or Nabisco or Pepsi or Campbell’s and the like. they have their own store brand for many things, made by well known companies like Amy’s and Pacific Foods.

I shop at TJs for their cheese selection (better than the “other” grocery stores), dairy products, dried fruit and nuts, bagged organic salads and a few other things. You can shop well there without buying a single “instant” food.

I’ve spent a good amount of time in India and SE Asia as well, and while some of the areas don’t have supermarkets as we known them, they do have shops where they go to purchase food items. Supermarkets were created so that a person could purchase all their items from one place instead of having to go to a butcher, a fishmonger, a vegetable stall, the dairy farmer, etc to get their food items. All the metropolitan areas in Asia have supermarkets nowadays too, both local ones and even international ones like Tesco.

3 Likes

I know that the popular conception of Trader Joe’s is that all they have is packaged crap, and they do have a lot of packaged crap (and for packaged crap it’s good and I have no qualms feeding my kids the frozen mac and cheese) but they also have good prices on good quality ingredients. Some of them are packaged for convenience (like mirepoix that’s already cut up, or bagged salads (which can be quite good), but they’re still fresh. Best prices on milk (both organic and non), Greek yogurt, Kerrygold and French cultured butter, organic eggs. They’ve got Harry and David pears right now, and the best price in town on Honeycrisp apples. They always have organic potatoes - both russet and sweet, which are hard to find, and they carry these great tiny fingerling potatoes. They’ve got big, cheap basil plants, and really good olive oil and a pretty darn decent aged parmesan and basmati and jasmine rice. . You can rail against packaged food, and you can decry the packaged foods at Trader Joe’s and the people who eat them, but to indict the whole store with such vehemence is narrow minded.

8 Likes