Trip to KL, Penang, Singapore, BKK

Hi All, we’ve got a trip this September in which we’re spending:
1 day in Kuala Lumpur
3 days in Penang (flying into George Town)
4 days in Singapore (one of which will be taken up for a wedding)
1 day in Bangkok

Any must-eats in any of those places? My wife doesn’t eat pork though I do; both are fine with spice and have done well in previous trips to SE Asia (Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia). Extra points for stuff that doesn’t exist in LA.

Thanks!

Here are some spots to get you started in Singapore:

404 Telok Blangah Rd, San Laksa Steamboat Pte Ltd, Singapore 098840 - coconut soup base is killer

17A Dempsey Rd, Candlenut, Singapore 249676 - upscale se asian

166 Jalan Besar, #02-34, Singapore 208877 - oyster cakes!!

66 Kampong Bugis, #01-01, Camp Kilo Charcoal Club, Singapore 338987 - fun outdoor vibes for bbq

639 Geylang Road, Geylang Claypot Rice, Singapore 389570 - clay pot rice though everyone has their favorite so do some digging

7 Crane Rd, Mr and Mrs Mohgan’s Super Crispy Roti Prata, Singapore 429356 - insanely delicious roti for breakfast but will sell out so go early

Google Katong Laksa and read the story then choose which location you feel compelled to try

80 Collyer Quay, The Fullerton Bay Hotel, Singapore 049326 - fancy $$$ laksa (which some say defeats the purpose, but I like it)

And of course the stars of the show … Food Centers (Hawker Centres)! Go to as many of them as you can. I love Maxwell as it is convenient. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Eat. Drink. Be merry! And if a place has a line (outside of the michelin chicken rice place) you should probably wait in it. You won’t be disappointed.

Eat some Nesi Lemak. I like a version commonly found in the basement of shopping malls.

Try multiple versions of chicken rice

Eat some kaya toast

Use the MTR for instant Air Con to cool off (shopping malls too)

3 Likes

KL:
Fatty Crab
Sambal Hijau
Hokkien Mee
Taka by Saito
Nasi Lemak
Lot 10 Hutong (not the best however most convenient location in the city to explore hawker food)
Chicken Rice
Durian / Cempedak ice cream at Inside Scoop
Greenview for Freshwater prawn noodles and Sri Lankan crabs
Sate/Satay
Weekend buffets at top tier hotels are a good option to sample local favorites i.e Shangri-la
BLR

Penang:
Char Kway Teow
Nasi Kandar
Lor Bak
Assam Laksa

Singapore:
Hainanese Curry Rice
Fish Head Curry
Ya Kun Kaya Toast & Local Coffee - VERY SPECIFICALLY THE FAR EAST SQUARE OUTLET!
Indian Breakfast
Atlas Bar
Jade Palace - where the local low-key mover & shakers hang out for family dinners paired with byo grand crus (bless the no corkage policy). Get the steamed turbot

Bangkok:
Je-Ngor

Check out klyeoh’s post on hungry onion’s Asia board, excellent resource for Penang/SG/KL/Bangkok

2 Likes

Couple of additional SG options

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-13/at-the-new-raffles-you-ll-find-two-of-the-world-s-top-chefs