Tsujita’s Ultimate Ramen Champion coming to Fairfax Ave

been super unbusy, looks like they’re mostly doing togo orders and doordrash type things…
so you can walk right in.

1 Like

In the house with my own spoon lol

Not too shabby. Guess I’ve never had the annex ramen before because I had to get through waaay too much veg before I was 1 on 1 with my noodle

Loved it tho. Time to get on the plane with a full gut

2 Likes

BYOS. Nice.

2 Likes

gotta ask for light sprouts yo

Just stopped in for ramen. I realized today that I’ve never had the original Tsujita soup ramen and only the dip ramen from tsujita original although I’ve had both dip and original from annex. The number six is 1195 (non-nemroz pricing) which seems pretty reasonable for the neighborhood. Although some of the more plentiful offerings may run in excess 17 dollars ish.

Loved the thin chewy noodles and the char sui pork belly pieces were well cooked offering tender pieces of meat melding with the almost liquified fat for a very satisfying bite. However, overall I think I prefer the Shio ramen at santouka.

Will definitely return for their other offerings. Hate the aforementioned plastic silverware and dishware but as another poster pointed it out it seems to be something that is out of their control.

After a bowl of that, you’ll be down multiple bowls of ramen for sure…

Going to Sawtelle tonight, and trying to figure out tsujita or menya musashi or annex?
Any advise?
My initial inclination is to go to the one with the least wait.

Annex or Musashi…Musashi will prob have a smaller wait. @beam

Thank you - Musashi was superb, fabulous flavorful broth, perfectly cooked ramen.
Sadly, no alcohol license, so this was a first dinner in a long long time w/out alcohol for me, which was totally fine. Annex does not have alcohol either as I recall.

1 Like

Does anyone else remember that Daikokuya was serving tsukemen in Little Tokyo back when Ramenya near Sawtelle was considered the only other “legit” ramen in all of Los Angeles?

In those days, I recall Daikokuya being the only place preparing (the eventually de rigeur-yet-now-out-of-fashion) rich tonkotsu broth whereas the other places were various bland dilutions of animal water. I remember a slab of chashu at Asahi on Sawtelle that tasted as if it had been sliced from a week-old loaf, the deep chill from the fridge in the center of the slice, haunting my soul.

Anyway, my point in writing this is because it seems that Tsujita keeps getting the credit for bringing the tsukemen style of ramen to LA, but this happened I dunno, 10? 15? years after Daikokuya did the same thing?

Mr Taster

Daikokuya serves tsukemen?!

Tsukemen’ed yesterday at FF (edit: fairfax) location and got them 2 more regulars for them. But i dont know how much i’ll be going… ramen just doesn’t appear to do it for me very much anymore… it was an obsession a dozen years ago.

FF = Fairfax, I suppose

What I don’t believe that is a real thing with business licenses and even if it was they can just swap out the disposable bowls for real ones and the city would never enforce it again later.

I’m sure they are lying about that.

Daikokuya has sold tsukemen for as long as I’ve been going there (maybe early 2000s). How long have they been in that location?

It’s still on their website menu.

Apple didn’t make the first smartphone either. But they sure popularized it.

Yeah but Daikokuya sucks.

Guess I don’t know if our FF location is going to make it. It’s just never busy. And I guess they’re desperate enough where they’re enacting some drastic changes. I walked in today to be greeted by a very agro samurai type letting us know loudly that they have 2 things available, tonkotsu and chicken ramen. So i said, hello lol. Then I said where’s the menu? And he said… chicken… or tonkotsu… or else… so i said sir… i’ve been here a lot… pretty please… can you let me know if you still have the vegetarian option because my buddy here is already trying to ruin my day with his food disabilities… he says oh yea… sure you can have veg…

tonkotsu is white… so thin and white that it feels like they’re adding something… i just can’t believe that they would… i asked… they said no… wasn’t bad… pretty standard but not the usually bowl i’m used to there… annex ramen is gone.

i know it’s probably a cultural difference but next time he yells at me, elder or not i’m going to yell back in my culture

2 Likes

Never ever anyone here… has drastically gone downhill too.

Sawtelle still very solid.

A little info to help with understanding the Fairfax location: it is their central kitchen. This is where soup is made.

The storefront retail operation is secondary.

This might explain the less than satisfactory service.

3 Likes