Uncle Paulie's Deli

A foot at most, probably less. It’s not a huge sandwich – about the size of the Gjusta Italian – but well proportioned. Someone with a healthy appetite could polish a whole sandwich off pretty easily, I suspect.

That said, I actually did manage to eke out two lunches by pairing each half with a generous side (as I often do with the Gjusta Italian too). That’s dieting Bigmouth style.:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Okay, I know it’s not like you had a tape measure w/ you, but do you really think the Gjusta Italian is about a foot? I’ve also considered it relatively small, size-wise, but quite filling.

If I were really hungry, I think I could have half of a light meal after the Gjusta Italian. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d say 7-8 inches. Definitely not a foot.

I said the Uncle Paulie’s Italian was a foot “at most, probably less” and compared it to the size of the Gjusta Italian to help clarify. It’s maybe a little longer but also a little thinner than Gjusta’s, so it eats pretty similar overall.

Whatever. I’m bad at guesstimating these things and it’s all just a haze of cold cuts and veggies anyway. :grin:

2 Likes

Length isn’t as important as girth anyway.

6 Likes

went here a couple months ago and wasn’t that impressed TBH

Gwen destroys them.

Bummer! That Gwen grinder is very good – the meats, in particular, are very high quality. But it’s not the same for me since they switched bread. Also, on my last visit the meats, cheese, and veggies were ice cold, which threw off the texture and flavor.

I think I prefer Uncle Paulie’s but will require multiple visits to both to be sure. :wink:

I just tried the gwen grinder for the first time yesterday. I think it was on bub & grandma’s baguette which i love, so i had nothing to compare it to. the inside of my sandwich was very, very cold… i actually enjoyed it more today when i put my leftovers in the toaster oven. Looking forward to trying uncle paulies.

Speak for yourself, buddy.

Haven’t had it myself, but that sounds very, VERY wrong.

It is indeed. I asked the last time I was there.

Yeah I’m not sure what’s up but it makes eating there suboptimal. Takes about a half hour to warm up to room temp. On the plus side, though, the sandwich travels really well.

Just get the meatball at gwen

1 Like

Agreed. Meatball for there, grinder to go.

Nine inches on the Uncle Paulie’s Italian. I measured yesterday. This sandwich wasn’t quite as good as my first but still quite tasty. Also, just an FYI, the “hot” option on the menu refers to spice, not temperature.

1 Like

yes, the semolina!

ha!

Opening in Studio City!!!

Former location of Paggliacci’s pizza just south of the boulevard. Damn this area is getting better and better. Sandwich, then 1/4 block to Salt & Straw.

6 Likes

Belle (formerly Bellwood) Bakery has been the spot since it was Muffins Etc way back in the day too

1 Like

Just saw in Eater LA that Uncle Paulie is doing a Summer pop-up inside the Brig on Abbot Kinney starting this weekend.

1 Like

As Shakespeare wrote, “And summer’s lease hath all too short a date.” For the past several weeks, the window at the Brig that was used for Uncle Paulie’s has been shut and, a few weeks ago, the name “Uncle Paulie’s” was painted over. The location was recently removed from the Uncle Paulie’s website so this venture West is clearly done. Too bad as the food was good and the location convenient.

1 Like

Studio City should be opening soon, though can’t find any intel on the date.

And the Uncle Paulie website just says coming soon.

1 Like