Uovo - 2nd street SaMo - the next great leap forward for Pasta in LA

4 Likes

Tried Uovo yesterday for a late lunch. Gotta say I was surprised! Very solid plate of pasta.

I got the tonnarelli amatriciana. The pasta was well made and cooked properly. It was finished in the sauce, which had the right amount of heat from red chili and porkiness that only guanciale can deliver.

I shall now pick nits:

1. $20 all in for a plate of pasta is a touch high.
  2. I think they are over-saucing and doing the fine pasta a bit of a disservice. Pasta should be more than just texture. I fully accept I will be in minority here. I’m also dealing with a sample size n=1 so, yeah.
  3. The amatriciana is brought together with about a 1/2 cup of pecorino. It ends up creating a tomatoey cheese sauce. Sounds delicious, I know, but it’s not my idea of amatriciana. It was a gooey sauce, which is just weird for amatriciana.

All that said, fun place. I’ll be back as long as they don’t pull an 800 Degrees on us.

6 Likes

Man, that Tortellini in Brodo is pretty dang great. Can’t wait to go back for that one.

Also had the Tonnarelli Amatriciana, which was fine, but I didn’t have the reaction to it that many others here seemed to have. It was good, but I’d opt to try other pastas next visit.

The only bummer is that I was too full to complete my planned bang-bang burger at HiHo. I am shamed.

5 Likes

Never got to try the SaMo location but we welcomed them to our neighborhood yesterday (Wilshire) and loved the dark cozy atmosphere and the pasta.

Kid loved the meat ravioli which I thought was alright. Sauce was waaaay too acidic. My tag. Bolognese was spot on, nothing to complain about! Her Ton. Carbonara was also quite good (she also brought up oversaucing but she prefers that). Their mushroom side was just great too. Nice to have by us and we really loved the European style all inclusive bill (16% auto tip)

And our staff was just lovely

12 Likes

We went to the Wilshire location this weekend. We had the Carbonara, Tonnarelli Amatriciana, and side of the mushrooms. First impressions were that dishes had great flavor, savory, and pasta al dente. The carbonara was creamy and cheesy. Negatives were that they were way too salty. Another table next to us sent theirs back due to the saltiness. Also, if you’re really hungry, you’re going to leave not that satiated. Portions are smaller than what we are used to.

They are really Italian portions. I remember the waning on a pasta i had that it was ‘salt forward’ lol and it was. Pasta sisters is about the same portion size. The lines at the Culver city location are insane

3 Likes

Pricing and portion size is fine. 16$ inclusive of tax and tip is pretty great.

Edit: this was wrong

Not inclusive of tax and tip. They add on a 16% service charge and then charge sales tax on the subtotal, like they do at Sugarfish. They do not accept additional gratuities.

2 Likes

Oh that’s right

The lines at PS in Culver City have gone down. Still busy but not like they were before. Also there is an extra noodle or extra sauce options at PS which is very reasonably priced…

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/pasta-sisters-culver-city-culver-city?select=f7iYAY4EDvMS8fU5ad--lg

–Dommy!

5 Likes

Ugh. That was my issue with the Santa Monica outpost. Sad to see it’s still their MO. Pasta Sisters i never overly salty…

1 Like

Still as tasty? Haven’t been in a while since getting some dishes clumpy and lukewarm.

Very much so! Went fairly recently and had a great lunch! These were regular sized portions.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BylwDkZhrXg/

1 Like

Yeah the mushroom side is pretty fantastic.

Visit #2 also a success. The portions are 3 bites short of satisfaction but it’s good. I need to stop over eating

Spinach noodle lasagna is delightful though I missed some texture in the pasta. Carbonara and pomodoro tonnarelli delivered as did broccolini

2 Likes

Do the Uovo locations usually have high chairs?

Would recommend contacting them (eat@uovo.la).

I have never seen one used at the SaMo location (although I haven’t dined in since the lockdown), although my vague recollection is that I might seen them stored somewhere near the bathroom. But, even if they have them, I cannot imagine one could comfortable use them, based on how cramped the seating arrangement is (at least at the SaMo location).

Got a bounceback on that email and the studio city email, but the studio city location does have them.

1 Like

They have an un-cramped outdoor eating area now fyi.

I’d be surprised if they didn’t have high chairs, but if you get there and they don’t, then Colapasta 3 blocks away does have high chairs

::smacks head:: Yes, of course they do. Totally forgot.