Vegetarian Rundown

So the fear of carbs has subsided for now. Wife really wanted to try Lodge Bread’s pizzas last Friday. I warned her about reports here stating unevenly baked pizzas and large cornicione (scary naked carbs) but she said it was cool.

Gladly, the pizzas were all evenly baked (mixed wild mushrooms, four cheese, asparagus) and were just on the chewy side. I think they’re finally dialing their skills on the new oven.

Their pizzas are almost always vegetarian-friendly. In fact, most of their menu is vegetarian. The only meats I regularly see are in their ham/cheese and tuna sandwiches.

One of the owners - Or - has always been super nice from my experience. He refuses to let his customers leave without a good experience. If something’s not right, a polite mention to Or will prompt him into action to make things right.

2 Likes

I’m not a big pizza lover, but that would definitely be my choice!

Nice shout-out for Lodge Pizza Night (or is it permanant now? I’m not in the pizza loop). They’d be pleased!

1 Like

Hi @TheCookie,

It’s just on their regular menu now.

1 Like

Biergarten - Wilshire / Ktown

Fried Mushrooms - Panko Crusted Organic Miatake Shrooms (hen of the woods) & Herb Aioli

For your pre or post Wiltern Theatre, vegetarian, bar food needs. These bites were perfectly crispy, w/a good meaty texture from the miatakes and a nice creamy dip. Great snack for vegetarians or anyone.

9 Likes

What a waste of good mushrooms.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: July 2017 Weekend Rundown

Exactly , why do you have to coat it in a greasy crust ? Best left alone . Like most natural ingredients .

Ummm… excuse me, but this thread is called the Vegetarian Rundown. Obviously neither of you are and are unfamiliar with the vegetarian dilemma - going to a bar or pub and everyone is chowing down on crispy, chicken wings and such while you’re limited to french fries. Hen of the Woods are one my favorite shrooms and they are indeed great unadorned. But, if you know anything about them or shrooms, you’d know they are great for frying. Why? Because - unlike most shrooms that can be too slippery for proper frying - coating adheres to them really well. This restaurant happens to do them really well, hence the recommendation for vegetarians.

So… why don’t you try to find someone to give you a hug this Saturday night. If that’s not possible, just hop back over to another thread and stop yucking people’s yumms over here.

6 Likes

Oh I am sorry . Not yucking your yums . And I don’t need a hug Cookie . Lay off. They just look greasy to me . Sorry if you don’t like it .

Then don’t eat 'em. It’s called bar food dude. It’s all relative.

Sorry if I come off strong. But I think you’re kind of negative in general.

3 Likes

I’m going to 100% disagree with both statements.

@TheCookie coming off strong is like a grouchy kitten.

And I think @Emglow101 is a a delight.

4 Likes

Off-topic but “food for thought.” Here’s an article I just read pointing in the direction that (real) oysters could be considered vegan. I shared it with the note that if you wear leather you could also certainly justify oysters.

sorry, cookie:
i beg to disagree.
to me, emglow is a big PLUS for this board
i enjoy his presence here.

3 Likes

I definitely do also!

No offense, but frankly, I’m not surprised either one of you enjoy his style.

I like Emglow101 too! He adds cool stuff. I understand there’s a certain familiarity from the CH days that us newbies don’t have. But I’m a poster who tends to express positivity about folks’ food choices and tries to keep the yucks to myself. When someone rarely bothers to converse with you or acknowledge your posts, then throws some negativity your way, it’s like ‘Ouch. I’m not bothering you, so extend me the same courtesy.’

…Or it could be I’m just in a bad mood. We’re in the middle of having our 90 yr old family home gutted and remodeled. At the moment our only electricity is a power strip hooked up to the fuse box. Other than idle chit chat (always dangerous), that small Biergarten post was all I’ve had the patience for.

Thanks for the funny “grouchy kitten” remark @Bookwich. You’re always clever. It helped! I’m feeling more like an angry bear lately.

P.S. Isn’t it fun to have people talk about you, like you’re not there @Emglow101? :blush:

3 Likes

FWIW, I think these mushrooms look very tasty AND I appreciate that a bar/pub offers something that’s a good finger-food munchie that works for vegetarians (thereby allowing us to partake of the communal food consumption and have something that soaks up the alcohol). That’s not always true and an ongoing challenge for many of us. (Really, there’s only so many salads a v*gan can consume, and they’re rather awkward at a bar!)

4 Likes

Thanks My @ElsieDee -

That was the objective of posting the apparently controversial fried maitakes. I understand and agree with ipse & co’s. opinion. But some meat eaters don’t understand, being a vegetarian / vegan doesn’t literally mean eating sautéed veggies and salads all the time.

P.S. I’m not a nutritionist, but imo, fried shrooms might actually be healthier than some of the manipulated soy products on the market today.

Happy vegetarian bar food eating! Or not…

2 Likes

Speaking of vegetarians… Where the heck is @MaladyNelson!!!

3 Likes

I’ve actually wondered that a lot over the past few months…

2 Likes

I think on the weight loss goal (with us tempting her with all this delicious fatty food, it might not be so good to visit this site during that time). :wink:

1 Like