Vegetarian Rundown

sorry, cookie:
i beg to disagree.
to me, emglow is a big PLUS for this board
i enjoy his presence here.

3 Likes

I definitely do also!

No offense, but frankly, Iā€™m not surprised either one of you enjoy his style.

I like Emglow101 too! He adds cool stuff. I understand thereā€™s a certain familiarity from the CH days that us newbies donā€™t have. But Iā€™m a poster who tends to express positivity about folksā€™ food choices and tries to keep the yucks to myself. When someone rarely bothers to converse with you or acknowledge your posts, then throws some negativity your way, itā€™s like ā€˜Ouch. Iā€™m not bothering you, so extend me the same courtesy.ā€™

ā€¦Or it could be Iā€™m just in a bad mood. Weā€™re in the middle of having our 90 yr old family home gutted and remodeled. At the moment our only electricity is a power strip hooked up to the fuse box. Other than idle chit chat (always dangerous), that small Biergarten post was all Iā€™ve had the patience for.

Thanks for the funny ā€œgrouchy kittenā€ remark @Bookwich. Youā€™re always clever. It helped! Iā€™m feeling more like an angry bear lately.

P.S. Isnā€™t it fun to have people talk about you, like youā€™re not there @Emglow101? :blush:

3 Likes

FWIW, I think these mushrooms look very tasty AND I appreciate that a bar/pub offers something thatā€™s a good finger-food munchie that works for vegetarians (thereby allowing us to partake of the communal food consumption and have something that soaks up the alcohol). Thatā€™s not always true and an ongoing challenge for many of us. (Really, thereā€™s only so many salads a v*gan can consume, and theyā€™re rather awkward at a bar!)

4 Likes

Thanks My @ElsieDee -

That was the objective of posting the apparently controversial fried maitakes. I understand and agree with ipse & coā€™s. opinion. But some meat eaters donā€™t understand, being a vegetarian / vegan doesnā€™t literally mean eating sautĆ©ed veggies and salads all the time.

P.S. Iā€™m not a nutritionist, but imo, fried shrooms might actually be healthier than some of the manipulated soy products on the market today.

Happy vegetarian bar food eating! Or notā€¦

2 Likes

Speaking of vegetariansā€¦ Where the heck is @MaladyNelson!!!

3 Likes

Iā€™ve actually wondered that a lot over the past few monthsā€¦

2 Likes

I think on the weight loss goal (with us tempting her with all this delicious fatty food, it might not be so good to visit this site during that time). :wink:

1 Like

Ah, thatā€™s what I was wondering (b/c I remember one of her last posts being about weight loss)!

1 Like

Hi @paranoidgarliclover -

I was thinking the same as you and @Chowseeker1999 and hope that is all and she will be back. Thatā€™s why I wrote it as an exclamation more than a question. I had asked the question in a couple of threads and even messaged her with no results. Her last posts were indeed about a weight loss program.

I have a friend who had put on weight over the years. When she decided to get serious about taking it off she literally behaved like a recovering alcoholic for a while. She stopped connecting with friends - no parties, no going out to dinner, nothing that would tempt her to break her diet. I kindaā€™ admire that.

I miss Malady though. Sheā€™s funny (who doesnā€™t love a girl that quotes George Clinton?) and always positive. Sheā€™s partly the reason I started this thread. After writing that my son had become a vegetarian she helpfully posted recipes and recs for me. Plus those great pictures!

Sending :heart: to @MaladyNelson!

6 Likes

This might be a tough one. Does anyone know of a good vegetarian caterer? It doesnā€™t have to be vegan. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @TheCookie,

Iā€™m not sure of Chef Wesā€™ schedule these days, but I know Guerilla Tacos used to cater. And Chef Wes Avilaā€™s vegetarian dishes are awesome! :slight_smile: He can definitely belt out an all vegetarian menu for a party and it would rock (his Mushroom creations (various Tacos, Quesadillas), Sweet Potato Tacos and many other veggie creations have always been delicious).

2 Likes

Tacos La Tehuanita

1 Like

Definitely an option. Thanks @Chowseeker1999!

1 Like

https://www.google.com/amp/s/hoodline.relaymedia.com/amp/2018/12/3-new-places-to-savor-vegan-fare-in-los-angeles

I am very fond of innovative vegetarian restaurants. My favorites are:

Plant Food + Wine Venice (Abbot Kinney). This could make my top 20 favorite restaurants in LA.

Wild Living Foods (DTLA). This might make my top 100.

Shojin (DTLA). A favorite in Little Tokyo.

Although I like vegetarian Chinese food, Iā€™m not a huge fan of any of the places Iā€™ve tried in the SGV. Perhaps the best is the one on the second floor of the Ranch 99 Plaza in San Gabriel.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been wanting to check out Shojin for a while.

Weā€™re still mourning the closure of Happy Family Vegetarian on Valley Blvd in Rosemead. It was the bomb. They had these great faux Fried Oysters, faux Spicy Mayo Crab Handrolls and a faux Ham Sandwich that tasted like Honey Baked Ham in a Bao Bun. :yum: The other Happy Family locales are not the same.

Oyster Shrooms, Thai Basil & JalapeƱos

2 Likes

Looks good. The last time I went to the Happy Family location on Atlantic Blvd, I found it unpleasantly salty and generally lackluster.

Yah, I donā€™t think theyā€™re the same, maybe not even connected. :thinking:

I have a few vegetarians in my family and Happy Family on Valley was the one vegetarian place we could all agree on, meat eaters included. I even hosted a big birthday party for my sister there. Anyway, a couple of times people went to a different location thinking it must be the same. Nope. :confounded: Itā€™s not even the same menu.