Vespertine - The Gaffe of Kahn

Excellent interview. I have a lot better idea of what he had in mind.

The part about how they Google every diner is very interesting.

Might be more fun to work there than to eat there.

3 Likes

Google, social media. We know most of our guests before they come in. We know your story, we know what your dog’s name is, the whole thing, and we talk about it in a group format

Instagram honestly has homogenized our culinary world so much. We’re super careful not to read too much of it, and we don’t want to be on there.

The sheer hypocrisy, and lack of of awareness thereof, stuns me.

4 Likes

He avoids being exposed to what other restaurants are doing and he studies up on his guests to try to give them a more tailored experience. There’s nothing hypocritical there.

Sorry to disappoint you @Ns1

Forgive the question but I feel compelled to ask. Were any mind-altering substances used in the R&D process?

[Laughs] I’ve never done drugs in my life. I really just wanted to re-think what it means to be a restaurant.

Being permafried will do that to you.

2 Likes

Clothes to fit the decor:

1.5 oz Pt / bag.
Makes sense, in a way…

Can’t wait to see the music video

1 Like

Some more food pics and Rick Owens runway extras.

1 Like

There are many sprigs.

1 Like

The perplexity had begun months before among the food media when the restaurant released a short trailer starring a woman in a gauzy hooded robe walking on a hill; it was impossible to tell whether she was heading to Vespertine or going in the other direction to find a taco.

1 Like

Catching up on Gold’s review. Copy editing seems a little sloppy on that piece. “You are led to an elevator … and are let off in the kitchen and a bowing Kahn.” “… party onion soup dip.”

1 Like

[posted in error, please ignore]

After waiting a few days, I went back to the article to read the comments. They were, as expected, hilarious. The general themes are:

1. Rich people are stupid.

2. Rich people should give their money to food banks or Puerto Rico.

3. I would rather eat at In n’ Out, a steak, pizza, etc.

4. Why is his hair hanging over the food? Gross.

And of course:

1. What can you expect? People in Los Angeles are rich and stupid.
4 Likes

The perplexity had begun months before among the food media when the restaurant released a short trailer starring a woman in a gauzy hooded robe walking on a hill; it was impossible to tell whether she was heading to Vespertine or going in the other direction to find a taco.

4 Likes

Nothing tasted as weird as it looked.

2 Likes
1 Like

Not sure I believe that but I’ll read the article. To be fair I never thought John Cage’s 4’33" was really music either so it’s probably me

1 Like