Vibrant Middle Eastern Cuisine By Way of Bestia - Bavel (Grand Opening) [Thoughts + Pics]

Sold!

1 Like

Okay, I get it. I loved Bestia’s Cavatelli alla Norcina, btw.

Certainly seems to be ok in Rome.

1 Like
2 Likes

Thanks @ipsedixit. Have you seen any place locally that serves trapizzino?

1 Like

You mean the Italian riff on the Taiwanese beef roll?

No, but I believe the folks at the new Piencone were talking about it.

1 Like

Trapizzino™ is a chain that specializes in pizza bianca ripiena, fresh focaccia-like pizza split down the middle and filled with whatever, which are sold at Roman pizza a taglio places such as the famous Antico Forno Roscioli. Their main innovations are baking little squares and splitting them in half to make cone-like pockets and offering fillings of classic Roman dishes such as coda alla vaccinara and trippa alla romana.

1 Like

That’s a good rec for me. We find ourselves at the Toyota Sports Center sometimes (junior hockey). No good eats around there.

1 Like

Pshaw. Umi by Hamasaku is only 5 minutes from there.

1 Like

Hi @TheCookie,

Oh, looks like Fishing with Dynamite and MB Post are only 11 minutes away from Toyota Sports Center. :wink:

1 Like

Please don’t tell me you recommend this place. I had one of my worst meals here.

“partners Jesse Duron, chef Yoya Takahashi and owner Michael Ovitz”. Strange bed fellows. :sweat_smile:

We will check it out. It’s super close.

I’m sure it’s superior to bad bar food at the Toyota Sports Center. We want a nice meal, not a 5-star tasting. OP’s rec fits the bill. What are your dining recs within a 5 minute drive?

You now have Mendocino Farms in El Segundo.

And if you get lucky, you might be able to score some biryani from Zam Zam Market.

1 Like

I knew you could do it. Thanks.

Okay back to Bavel. We’re going this week and I promise to report promptly @Chowseeker1999.

2 Likes

I had a decent time. If memory serves, I avoided the traditional nigiri/sashimi there. Had the potato salad, the shishito peppers, some bento box, and a crazy roll my nephew wanted. Serviceable.

1 Like

Hi @TheCookie,

Nice! Hope you have a great time, looking forward to your report. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Had to join in on all the fun! Everything we ordered has been covered already - the duck nduja hummus, the octopus, the okra, the crack…erm, I mean chicken, and the rose clove donuts.

The hummus was delightful, and I agree with everybody who has mentioned that the pitas are awesome. We found ours to be the perfect texture and moistness. The great thing was that they retained most of that texture even as they cooled down (we took a while to finish the hummus).

The chicken is just ridiculous - many other chefs could take lessons on how to prep chicken from Chef Ori (yes, it’s dark meat, so it’s already got a “leg” up, but still). The meat was tender, and flavorful, and the skin was seared just enough to be perfectly delicate and crispy, like paper. All the turmeric and spices just give you a nice kick in the butt as you’re eating it, and the acidity from the greens provides a nice contrast and palate cleanser.

We personally though the okra was good, but not memorable - looking forward to trying other veggie dishes. As for the octopus, we really enjoyed it. Yes, you can get this dish everywhere, but the execution was spot-on, including the gooey-ness of the thicker part of that leg.

For dessert, we had the rose clove chocolate donuts, and they reminded me of the coffee & donuts at Bestia. However, the clove spices made the dish much more bold, and the donuts were really dense and oozed with chocolate.

Had a glass of the Cornas from the wine menu, which matched really well with the cuisine.

I have to agree with some of you - I like this more than Bestia.

11 Likes

Il Romanista is a 2 minute drive.

Not open late but if you are around when it’s open it’s pretty good.

1 Like