Visiting SF from LA and Need Cantonese - Sam Wo?

Pipa duck at Hakkasan

1 Like

Nice place! I’ll try to check it out next time, but I prefer to eat in the restaurant for that kind of money, fresh from the kitchen. And enjoy the view while I eat.

can’t you still dine in and get your friend takeout?

1 Like

I already have dinner plans with people. I’m only there three nights.

That’s sort of what we do here.

Have you, or your friend, read this sub-thread?

Lol, I forgot. And it’s why I like it here.

Now you know the going rate you can charge your friend.

1 Like

He only reads about sports. I read it, I thought it was funny.

Still have no idea if I should try Sam Wo or somewhere else…

1 Like

Maybe it might help if you can describe what “old-school SF Chinese” is (or at least what your friend considers it to be).

1 Like

You’re just messing with me now. Everyone knows what old-school Chinese food is; it’s what your grandparents consider Chinese food: Americanized Cantonese.

Beef and broccoli
Egg Foo young
Fried rice
Chow mien
Sweet and sour pork
Tangerine beef
General Tso Chicken
Egg rolls
Wonton soup, egg drop soup
Paper-wrapped chicken
Etc., etc.

1 Like

You asked for “old school SF Chinese” with the implication that SF old school Chinese would be different than just typical old school Chinese, especially because you are bring it back from SF to LA.

So which is it? Is old school SF Chinese unique all unto itself, or do you just want typical old school Chinese. If the latter then there’s really no need for personal air courier delivery from SF to LA because there’s plenty in LA.

So you’re actually looking for Chinese-American food not Cantonese.

1 Like

This isn’t completely accurate but will guide you.

1 Like

Omg. NY and SF old-style Chinese was based on Cantonese, Americanized for the American palate. And no, Los Angeles does not have the equivalent.

I swear, you better be over-intellectualizing this just to fuck with me. It’s food, not Derrida.

2 Likes

@catholiver - Excellent list comparing what I would order vs. what my friend would order. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d just stick with r&g and go to hakkasan yourself.

1 Like

Have you tried Paul’s Kitchen in DTLA?

Paul’s Kitchen
1012 S San Pedro St
Los Angeles

No, but I will. The closest I’ve found on the Westside is Hu’s. It’s technically Szechuan.

10450 National Blvd., L.A., 90034

I think that’s your problem.

1 Like