Vito's Pizza Expands!

To quote an insane clown or two, WHOOP WHOOP!!

4 Likes

Meatball heroes too.

I am starting to wonder what is actually going on with this venture - who the fuck are Dave and Patti? Why doesn’t the sign say Vito’s Pizza? Why have I not seen him there (I have peeked in many times waiting for the opening and eaten there once)? WTF is Roundhouse?
I had two slices - they were fine but to be honest with y’all and myself, not really as good as West Hollywood. No beautiful pies on display.
Starting to seem like some kind of oddball licensing deal. OTOH, this pizza was not at all bad and the space looks great. Love the vintage vinyl, turntables, books, wood.

1 Like

That’s disappointing to hear. :frowning: For FWIW, there is no SM location listed on Vito’s website, so I presume that it is what you suspect.

Perhaps the pizza will improve w/ time. Didn’t Bludso’s mid-city start off tasting significantly worse (but not bad) than the original?

Department of Pure Speculation: seems like a partnership deal that went somewhat sour and they bought V. out but are allowed to use his name for some period of time. I doubt it will get better pizza-wise without Vito’s direct involvement. Looks like a decent amount of money went into the renovation – the bottom of someone’s bank account is going to feel more of the burn than the bottom of that pizza dough.

You said it was excellent earlier, yes?

1 Like

I’m walking back my original assessment which was written more from the heart than the tongue. It is just OK so far.

1 Like

Per Eater, it’s a partnership with the Reiss group, fwiw:

2 Likes

But looks like there is another website,
www.vitossm.com

1 Like

Went last night, had a fantastic pizza, but it didn’t travel well, it became incredibly soggy, but the crust remained crispy. Must be eaten on site. We had half sausage and onion and half meatballs and garlic, flavors were outstanding. Will head back very soon.

Love that they play records and have a huge vinyl collection.

3 Likes

Photo from the SM Vito’s website.
Is that orange cheese?

Aside from the caloric intake, agreed. I think it’s a great addition to the neighborhood.

I seem to be in the minority, as I just think it’s OK. To me I just think it’s typical so-so LA pizza. The crust was pretty good, but I would say the pizza overall was kind of flavorless. I got the plain cheese on half, because that’s typically how I judge a joint. It was pretty nondescript, except for the gallon of grease glistening on the top of it. I don’t mind an ocean of grease, LOL, if it’s tasty grease. But, as I judge based mostly on the base cheese pizza, I shouldn’t need to rely on toppings to make a good pizza go!

Pepperoni, pretty standard stuff. Nothing special. I need the little pepperoni cups.

Maybe I’m just jaded because I think Grimaldi’s is so superior. Of course this is all just IMHO.

4 Likes

It doesn’t look that great. Thanks for the report.

3 Likes

In my experience the more toppings the better it tastes. I went once and got a pepperoni and sausage pizza and it was so-so. I was pissed after spending almost $30.

The best pizza to me is by far Grimaldi’s in el segundo. At least it’s expensive and delish.

4 Likes

I posted all kinds of photos of Grimaldi’s on “that old OTHER” board but I can’t find the originals. Here is a photo of my plain cheese at Grimaldi’s.Yeah, looks a little better than my pie at Vito’s.

7 Likes

Those of us who aren’t fond of tomato sauce would not find the pie in that picture to necessarily be super appealing (seriously). The cheese does look good, though. Will have to try it one day.

I also am not fond of pepproni cups since I think they end up being resevoirs for grease. But YMMV.

Just get light sauce or none. What are pepperoni cups?

Aka delicious grease chalices

6 Likes

Oh, I love those. :relaxed:

1 Like