Vito's Pizza Expands!

Okay, you stick to the food, and I’ll ignore your priggish BS. Deal?

deal, i’ll ignore your budinsky bullshit too!

Just to be fair and clear: you put out that comment, so responses to it would be expected. Anyway, thanks again for the SE detail.

2 Likes

I just went to Vito’s Santa Monica. The key to Vito’s pizzas is, he always makes the pizza dough. The same is true for Santa Monica. Every morning Vito makes the dough and the SM people go pick it up. number of people can bake the pizzas, only Vito makes the pizza dough.

The crust at Santa Monica tastes the same as Vito’s West Hollywood. The big difference is, there aren’t a lot of single slice choices. I wish there was a glass case that showcased all the available pizzas. Here you just order from a menu. I wish they had the meat lover’s pizza here.

I guess I’ve taken for granted how great the slice choices are at Vito’s WeHo, maybe the best in town. On any given day Vito would have marguerita, veggie, meat lover’s, white, and some others.

I haven’t been to the Vito’s in WeHo. Are the toppings btw the 2 places the same? (even if the selection in SaMo is smaller)

It looks like the basic topping choices are similar, but the execution is very different. At WeHo the slice choices are in a glass case where you can pick and choose.I think you can customize what you see in the case, but I’ve never done that. At SaMo you pick toppings on a menu and then they will put those toppings on either a cheese or white slice. And I didn’t particularly like the way they put those toppings on the pizza. The pepperoni and bell pepper were sliced too thin for my tastes.

Also at WeHo you just pay for the slice. Obviously a veggie slice will cost more than a plain cheese. At SaMo you pay per topping which can add up.

If you want slices, go to WeHo. The whole pie choices at SaMo are otherwise fine.

Maybe they will put up a glass case later. The interior hasn’t changed much from when it was McCabe’s. They even have the pool table from McCabe’s.

2 Likes

Look, pepperoni cups!!

I mean, even Chuck E. Cheese is getting into the act with their new “Triple Pepperoni” pizza

I would bet THIS is better than what I had at Vito’s, though not as good as Grimaldi’s :smiley:

1 Like

Maybe the pepperoni would be, but the crust looks rock hard to me. :wink:

1 Like

LOL! OK, true.

i love Grimaldi’s but haven’t been in a while…Vito’s in SM is excellent…ive been more than a few times…ive always been partial to their pesto slice…But since i discovered Prime Pizza(which Ive discussed before) i rarely go to Vito’s…Prime has been great…easily the best NYC style pizza in LA…of course, that should be expected since Frank Pinello, of Brooklyn’s Best Pizza, was behind the recipes, menu and training…actually had the sicilian slice last week…superb…there was a bit of an “issue” 10 days ago. I ordered a sausage slice, a reheat, and sadly it had a burnt crust…i eventually had the mgr come out and told him the comparative cost of a pie vs their reputation, i would’ve just thrown out the pie or shared it with staff…He assured me the owner(the people at Colfax & Golden State) preferred it well done…I told him I love the crust well done but this was burnt…well, i left agreeing to disagree…heard the next time i was there from one of the regulars that the mgr is new and has little or no pizza experience…it showed…he had to have misunderstood the owner or is merely incapable of differentiating between well done and garbage worthy pizza…on the bright side, i used that disappointment to try the Sicilian, which was fantastique!

1 Like

definitely, thats a shitty looking crust!

1 Like

:rofl:

@lapizzamaven, A few weeks ago I took four Grimaldi’s pies to Dockweiler beach as my bonfire food (broke the lo-carb diet in style LOL). Great as ever!!

I’m a pepperoni lover, but the plain cheese is sublime, though the pizzas at time look like they were sliced by Picasso.

Mr. Maven, the thing about Grimaldi’s is you can let it sit for a few hours, come back to it and the crust is STILL perfect, not soggy. Even at the humid beach at night.

@paranoidgarliclover, I know you think the pie looks saucy, far from it. They lightly dollop the sauce over the cheese. It’s not NEARLY as saucy as it looks.

3 Likes

Yep, Mr Gr8pimpin, the “life span” of Grimaldi’s pizza is as long as any I’ve encountered… My first “western” Grimaldi’s was one in las vegas…had to buy an extra pie for the ride home, and it lasted till i hit the 10!

2 Likes

Be sure to try the white pie, if you haven’t already.

2 Likes

I love the pesto slice…is that the “white” pie you mean, Bigmouth?

That pesto slice at Vito’s is indeed tasty, but I mean a pie with no tomato sauce at Grimaldi’s. My favorite is a white pie with garlic, mushrooms, and sausage.

1 Like

Ah, Grimaldi’s, of course…been awhile…i do love their pizza but i obsessively order a margherita with sauseeege!..i may try their white pie next time…

2 Likes

Grimaldi’s is having $10 cheese pizzas on Mondays all this month. Toppings extra!

3 Likes

16 inch cheese pizza for $10. A real bargain. I was there this past Monday. There were a lot of mothers buying cheese pizzas for their kids. Also best to order online and schedule the pick up time. When I got there, I had to wait for the oven to heat up. Weird.