We miss classic French food

Also booked Montresor

Curiously, I did see at least one couple walk into Pasta Sisters and then walk out and into La Dijonaise…

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Church & State. I really like the place, and I think J Gold does (61 on the 101 list!) but I don’t know many other people who are fans…

Happened to go last night and had another good meal. They have a unique preparation for their escargots (in pastry), and they had a nice bouillabaisse. Also really enjoyed the French onion soup.

I also second the rec for Oriel in Chinatown - I’ve been several times now. The menu is pretty bare-bones, but what they do, they do really well. Go-to orders include the French onion soup, the Bibb salad and haricots verts, and the Bavette steak. I think it’s good QPR (well, as far as one can be for a French bistro-y place in LA).

Comparing the French onion soup specifically, the Oriel soup has more decadent amounts of cheese, but Church & State’s version is more reduced/intense.

Church & State
Snails%20(2)
Escargots in pastry

Bouillabaisse

1 Like

Check out David Feau’s stuff at Wally’s BH…fairly of classic French food using local CA ingredients.

1 Like

Marvin was fun last night! Good food. Not exactly French though. Croquettas made with rice so they’re actually arancini-like. Italian meatballs too, great sauce, blend too porky tasting (are shiitake a wild mushroom now?) tartare is nice but for me adding so much mayonnaise was offputting (this from a ‘Russian’, we eat more mayo than anyone else by far). Nice Arctic chat with a good gratine . Brought or own wine which was phenomenal $30 fee

Overall a fun and a good time kind of trendy bistro food with a lot of Italian (bunch of pastas )

Groups of ladies dining be looking lovely

3 Likes

First I’ve read/heard of Marvin. Looks nice.

Onelabneh dropped it above yesterday

I went to Marvin just to drink last fall. Great natural wine bar.

Marche Moderne in Newport Beach, my idea of the perfect french bistro. But they don’t often do the classics like french onion soup or escargot in puff pastry. A little bit higher end. But it’s very French.

2 Likes

Are any of these onion soups made with the traditional non-vegetarian broth?

Oriel

One of Bruce Marder’s restaurants (Brentwood, Capo, Cora’s, Cafe Brentwood).

Thanks @Nemroz for this thread.

I’ve been wondering about French restaurants in L.A. Not the faux bistro or the “if you have to ask you can’t afford it” spots. I adore froufrou sometimes, but want something less composed. Too vague?

Does anyone remember the little French spot on Melrose, east of La Brea, where Franco is? They whipped out rustic French dishes, incredible sauces (I’m a sauce freak) in battered pans on a few burners, smears of yummy pâtés on delicious bread - health department be damned. Looking for something like that…Not very helpful, I know… I can’t even remember the name :relaxed:.

Oh and maybe I’ll be the tie-breaker between you & ipse and revisit A Food Affair. I haven’t been in a while but used to dig it.

P.S. Bouchon is closing?

Hi @TheCookie,

Yes, it’s already closed.

1 Like

Just read the Eater article. I have familial connection to Beverly Hills, so I don’t hate it. :relaxed: But I’ve said it before, it is pretty much a culinary dead zone. They couldn’t work with Bouchon, But Flemmings is still standing. That says it all.

I’m going to start chanting for Shiki Beverly Hills.

1 Like

I’m curious how the City of Beverly Hills ended up being a restaurant’s landlord.

1 Like

There was this place in Culver City that made andouillette that got better over the months/years Chef Bruno worked there. That was the best french food I’ve eaten in Los Angeles. I was disappointed with the few times I ate at Melisse and Church and State was okay, but that’s all, okay. I did really like Bouchon, but that is no more. I’ve learned to feed my french food desires through our ethnic cuisine. Tartare at Parks BBQ, stewed pig intestine at Ruen Pair or Longo Seafood.

And I try to keep some homemade duck confit in my fridge. Makes for a fast dinner, after the initial prep, and satisfies any remaining cravings for French food until the next trip to France or Quebec.

I think Angelenos are too squeamish about fat for a truly french restaurant to survive.

5 Likes

I like the idea of this thread.

Give me a good game pithivier, or poulet au demi dueil, pate en croute, loup en croute, canard a la presse, sole meuniere or veronique, roulade d’agneau, raie au capres, fricassée de foies de lapins and let me end with a great canelé and some Armagnac (or Chadenagor tea as a digestif). Maybe some Comté and vin jaune just before I finish.

I’d like to see some tradition and technique, not just conspicuous ingredient fetish, rise in popularity.

2 Likes

This restaurant (I believe) is actually owned / run by Bruce’s son Max.

I’ve not been, but Will Owen has mentioned Bistro de la Gare (South Pasadena) a couple of times:

3 Likes