Weekend Run-Down (October 2015) - what did you have?

Want me to “poop and tell”?

1 Like

Otium at The Broad is not open yet. And that ain’t no joke.

Love them!

anyone check this spot out? oxtail chili dogs

My favorite are the tots. The hot dogs are snappy, but really kinda messy and hard to eat.

–Dommy!

Chef Perfecto is only cooking on Sundays and Mondays for this pop-up, as far as I can tell, and the paella is only available on Sunday nights. The total cost (food only) is $55 per person, and it includes 2 apps, half-a-paella (since each order of paella serves 2), and one dessert.

You get to choose from 3 different paellas (1 vegetarian, and on the night I went, 1 fideua, and a yummy duck & eel paella, which is what we ordered). There was some awesome SOCARRAT going on…

I think the pop-up lasts through October.

2 Likes

thanks for the recon! yeah im not into knife and fork hotdogs as much either.

what in fuck’s name is a soccqrat ???

thanks.

sounds like a fucked version of soccer.

but I doubt that’s what you’re talking about here.

Socarrat is the delicious crust formed by the burnt/slightly burnt food at the bottom of the paella pan. It usually contains the precipitated essence of the sofrito used to make the paella, and a generous amount of burnt rice. Loosely, socarrat can be considered as the Spanish version of Persian “tahdig”, if you will…

got it.

hahaha.

fuck after your first sentence I somewhat was going to ask you if it was kind of like “tahdig”

thanks man.

but is it possible just to grub on the fucking soccarat like you can do with tahdig.

and btw I heard so much regarding Montrefreo de Madrid in Burbank, it may have been located on Glen Oaks.

though I seemingly missed my chance in trying it. and if i’m not mistaken went defunct nearly a decade ago ???

but I remember the dish was $40 to $60 in late 90s and early 00s dollars.

Hey, that was still cheaper than a plane ticket to the Iberian Peninsula.

Yeah that pa amb tomaca (Cataluyan toast with tomato spread, garlic & olive oil) is pretty, as kevineats would say, “on point”. I think it’s the olive oil that makes the dish a winner. And they’re hand-slicing the jamon iberico de bellota (and slicing it right, which is not something one often sees in L.A.). Viva Mediterranean lifestyle!

yeah, and if i’m hitting up the fucking Iberian p. i’m definitely going to be hitting up Ibeeta. and that’s a whole other can of fucked up worms.

You mean EeBeeTHA? I don’t remember much about that place, just a lot of EDM, soap suds, and sunburns on the beach.

Edm.

nothing good to eat.

unleash you want a mushroom milkshake and I don’t mean truffles.

that’s the joint.

And you will definitely get your USRDA of vitamin “e”…

oh yeah, friday siesta time amigo

Are they serving Sunday paella on Fridays too?

'cuse me, we can’t use “on point” anymore cuz some dude cornered that in addition to cornering “reviled”? F that noise.

wish the “ham with those rolls and tomoato jam” @ SLS would come in “entree” size instead of “tapa”. 3 of those would basically be enough as dinner for me, for I am not “on point” ala @kevin

I had really good brisket at some new place in Garden Grove of all places called The Smokin Ribs. I have not yet tried MBMC but this up there with the best. I really wanted to try their angus beef short rib but it was dinner only after 5pm so I’ll have to return. But so far so good, I would go back for that brisket and the Mac n cheese was above
average. Was not a fan of their blueberry cornbread though, it was sort of like a muffin/corncake with blueberry. Pass on that.

And gratuitous close up shot

6 Likes