Weekend Street Food Inspiration: Huitlacoche Quesadilla (Echo Park)

Corn smut. Sounds awful, but sheeeoot… It is delicious. It is known in Mexico as “huitlacoche”, and it has been a prized ingredient there for a long, long time. In some circles it is known as the Mexican Truffle.

Alejandra’s quesadilla cart (usually at Echo Park Ave. on weekends, just south of Sunset, a few blocks from Echo Park Lake) serves huitlacoche quesdillas, made with blue corn tortillas. I like mine with chicken.

To the skeptics out there who may be reluctant to eat a bluish-gray tortilla with corn fungus inside, I will simply quote the ineffable Sam I Am: “You do not like them. So you say. Try them! Try them! And you may. Try them and you may I say.”

[KCRW] GUSTAVO'S GREAT TORTILLA TOURNAMENT - September 16

So good. I went there once and had a huitlacoche/squash blossom quesadilla. It’s strongly been in the back of my mind to return.

I love huitlacoche! My favorite huitlacoche quesadilla is at Aqui es Texcoco in Chula Vista. I need to try this cart already. Heard so many great things about it.

What cheese do the use ???

And can I grab one with no meat inside ???

Dunno the cheese type. Wait. I do know. The delicious, melty type.

Meats are an extra add-ons. The default quesadilla is “no meat”.

That’s a fine looking quesadilla. What are the cart hours?

Generally Huitlacoche quesadillas don’t include meat. Huitlacoche is a nuanced taste and adding meat would miss the point of it.

–Dommy!

Sweet. Then luckily that way is standard so that’s perfect for me.

I may have missed it.

But where’s the dope fucking cart located ???

I better make a beeline there in a minute.

Thanks for the tip, this looks good.

I enjoyed the huitlacoche empanadas at Rocio’s Mole de los Dioses in Sunland. Sadly, because of a fire, that restaurant is closed, though they are talking of rebuilding.

El Huarache Azteca on York offers huitlacoche on a huaracha which may be my favorite way to eat it.

Texcoco in Commerce is a much closer drive.

I know, but the Chula one is our regular spot after brewery hopping in SD.

Went back again this past weekend. Flor de calabaza with chicharron. I think the crunchiness of the pork does just fine on its own. Another delish quesadilla.

If the OC crowd is chowing down on huitlacoche quesadillas at Taco Maria every Tuesday, I think it’s safe to say that pretty much no one is afraid of it anymore lol

What are this womans hours though? Also, how much are the quesadillas?

…and does “weekends” include Friday nights?

thanks for the heads up! This is why I love our community. Would have never known about this.

Do you know if they are only there at night or are they serving all day on weekends?

This question haunts me… I keep trying to figure it out. Doesn’t it seem like Friday nights would be livelier than Sunday nights for such food? But technically “weekend” refers to Saturday + Sunday… so who knows? Colloquially I feel “weekend” includes Friday nights… but I have a feeling restaurants/awesome quesadilla carts probably don’t go by such definitions… so it would be nice to know =(

Best intel I have is that Alejandra is there all day every Sábado y Domingo…

Dope. Maybe I can hit up that shit as an aperitivo before brunch.