Weird experience at Luv2Eat Thai

Because burning tastes delicious. Maybe my tears add umami to the soup as I cry into it.

2 Likes

It’s like the eating version of an endurance sport.

There are so many purported explanations about endorphin release and hot food.
Also many evolutionary biology explations for why it is wired into us

1 Like

See, that’s the difference right there.

It’s not we like hot food. It’s more like we don’t even notice it, and sort of accept it as part of the quiddity of the dish.

You say, “Wow, this is really hot!”

We say, “Wow, this is really good!”

2 Likes

More like self-flagellating bloodsport - and loving it.

1 Like

This seems appropriate

1 Like

@ipsedixit - I haven’t finished the article @CiaoBob posted. But you’re on to something. I read somewhere that certain people have taste buds that experience delight when eating spicy heat.

You are betraying your classical education. While there is a high level of intelligence on this site, “quiddity” is a term few of us without such a background would recognize. I salute you once again. St. Thomas would be proud.

2 Likes

@CiaoBob “Take heart, chili heads. It’s not dumb to eat the fire, it’s a sign of high intelligence.” So the moral of the story is you guys are smarter than everybody else? Hmmm. Could be.

@PorkyBelly - Loved that. Now I see why you guys stood in line at Howlin’ Ray’s, then discussed what level of hotness you ordered. I was just happy to read about a great fried chicken place. But apparently there’s a movement.

Love the white guy and the black guy coming together to create a super hero who uses hot chicken as a weapon. Now that’s unity.

I was treated not well today at this place. I went in to place a to go order (first time here) and they took my order and told me my total. I went to pay and they started talking amongst one another for a while and I was so confused. Finally a woman told me that the kitchen was closed for an hour and they would not make my food. She blamed the ‘new employee’ for the mistake. I’m sorry, but they made the mistake of taking my order and ringing me up only to tell me to leave? I don’t care HOW awesome the food is here, I’ll never return.

What in the world that’s absurd. Sorry to hear that.

was sergio there?

1 Like

That’s unfortunate but, having worked in a small restaurant, I know that it’s possible to have something go wrong in the kitchen and be unable to cook until it’s fixed. For me the thing would be not THAT it happened, but how the staff explained it and dealt with it. If they were polite and apologetic I’d be fine.

I do agree with you here. At this time, food was still being prepared and served out to people still dining in the restaurant. I would have been happy with a compromise being suggested. Something like ‘We can make your papaya salad, but it’ll take too long to cook up the crab curry’. Anything to sort of meet me half way I would have appreciated. I may have said no thank you I’ll come back another time, and would have appreciated the gesture. I was told it’s 5 minutes after we stop taking orders, this person is new and it’s his fault, he didn’t realize (throwing him under the bus as he’s standing right there was not cool in my opinion). I just didn’t get the feeling they were that sorry. I think that’s why I got so mad. Not that the kitchen staff shouldn’t take their break! It’s just that they didn’t seem sincerely sorry when kicking me out of the place.

Uh, who is the “you” and who is the “we” in this scenario?

Seems pretty fuckin’ reductive to me.

And yes, I’m the guy who gets mad at dining partners when they ask the waiter “not too spicy, please” as I believe this has a chilling effect on the way the kitchen operates. And yes (pt. 2), most of the people that make this sort of request are guerros.

Slow your roll! “You” is the person he was responding to, who doesn’t like spicy food. “We” are people like us, who love it. :slight_smile:

Sometimes, reading comprehension can be such a difficult concept to grasp.

Ipse, you’ve got your goon squad running interference for you. I see how it is, and cut it with the purposeful obtuseness. Your post could easily be interpreted as singling out a particular ethnicity as preferring bland food - “you/we.”

Also, to clarify: It’s not about grasping the “concept of reading comprehension”. It’s about comprehending what one is reading. One can grok the concept and still question the content.

Nuance and context can’t just be tossed out the window along with the poster’s history of aggressive snark.

You are way out of line. It is crystal clear what was meant. To anyone not looking to be offended, that is.