Welcome to L.A. 2035 - An Izakaya With Futuristic Prices - Kinjiro [Thoughts + Pics]

duplicate

7 Likes

Thanks for the report!

They seem to rely a bit too much on uni, wagyu and foie :sweat:

The Tamagawa Muroka Nama Genshu Yamahai Junmai, was that recommended to you by Jun san or you just felt like trying it? This sake is absolutely not for beginners and it’s big, racy, bold, brash, with very high alcohol content 22% and much higher than normal acidity, and thus has a very specific food pairing…much like drinking those particular Bordeaux or Brunello Di Montalcino or Barolo’s. The master brewer of Tamagawa is Philip Harper (British expat) and you can probably find clips of him on youtube (Begin Japanology and he’s also featured in the movie Kanpai: For The Love Of Sake). You need really big, bold flavors to go with this particular sake, I would say most of the sake no sakana section and in particular fermented tuna guts with cream cheese, although strong blue cheese might even fare better. This also should have been paired with the kibinago tempura, and would also work with the grilled proteins with spice, or the thick cut grilled beef tongue. If you decide to try this sake again, pair it with stronger flavor otsumami and main courses (greasy, salty, fatty stuff in sauce would be perfect), and do give the sake a chance to breathe and let it come down to room temperature (it will be far easier to drink and apparently it can be served warmed as well without issues).

I think the Tamagawa Tokubetsu Junmai (available by the glass) would have been a better pairing with the dishes, or the Tedorigawa Yamahai Daiginjo.

Though for by the bottle, I would have gone for a Kakeya Junmai Ginjo Muroka Nama Genshu for the entire meal with the same food, and would have worked great. A warm Kenbishi Kuro Matsu Honjozo (around 40 to 50 degrees C) towards the end would also work with the last two dishes (and perfect for the ochazuke).

3 Likes

Hi @beefnoguy,

Thanks. It was recommended to us by the manager, which is what made it more disappointing (it didn’t pair well with our last 2 dishes actually).

Thanks for the recommendation on the Kakeya Junmai Ginjo Muroka Nama Genshu, I’ll have to try that one if I see it around town. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yikes!!! Thanks for taking one of the team. At that kind of price, you (or I) would expect every dish to be excellent…

2 Likes

Yuck @Chowseeker1999!

Frankly, nothing looks good.

I guess I missed the boat on this one. But I lost interest anyway after trying to make a resy last year and being told they weren’t accepting new reservations, then you got one a day or 2 later. Weird.

For a client you hate. :wink:

Sounds like a front.

Raku! Raku! Raku!

1 Like

so disappointing what happened with kinjiro. our dinner there in 2016 was one of our favourite meals of the year. but that was right after they got the nytimes love and they hadn’t yet raised prices or changed anything else.

1 Like