Westwood Village lunch options?

Ah, Penn. Quite dodgy indeed… Hey that reminds me: Philly West Bar & Grill (south of Santa Monica Blvd.) offers a great lunchtime hoagie.

1 Like

Make sure to try the porchetta melt at Gjusta if you haven’t already. Totally reminds me of roast pork sandwiches from Philly.

2 Likes

Behold the Gjusta Porchetta Melt…

5 Likes

That’s a fine looking sammie. Broccoli rabe?

Philly West is a divy sports bar on the east side of Westwood Blvd. just south of Santa Monica Blvd. immediately south of that strip mall with Eduardo’s in the middle – note there is parking in the back. Their food is much better than you’d expect from the genre and relatively inexpensive. I like their Philly cheesesteak, their burger (order without mayo or it is a slippery, gloppy mess) and if you get their thick-cut fries you have to specify very well done. It is too far to walk from the Village for lunch but for a Philadelphia transplant, it may be worth checking out after work.

Everyone knows about them though… when I dropped by on a random weekday around noon there was easily a 30 minute line out the door, so for sure not a quick lunch option.

I’m not as big a fan of Philly West as some others. Personally, I’d rather walk a few blocks farther for Wally’s Cheese Box. Both are a schlep from Westwood Village, though.

It is indeed broccoli rabe! They use fontina cheese, but it has the same funk as aged provolone.

2 Likes

My play at Fresh Corn Grill is the soup and salad combo - corn chowder + the Cobb. The half-sized salad is plenty big enough for a meal (and I love their Cobb), leaving the corn chowder for another meal (and I love their corn chowder).

1 Like

Okay, if we’re throwing in options south of SM Blvd., I’m going to include P’tit Soleil (poutine) since that’s still at least north of SM Blvd. :wink: I’ve never been to the “regular” Soleil but would also assume that the food there is good.

If you want a light pastry, Pink Orchid (virtually across the street from Philly West) is good. They have sandwiches, but I’ve never tried them.

1 Like

I like Pink Orchid, too. Try the khachapuri. Also, right next door is Taste of Tehran, which was recently featured on Top Chef.

If you’re getting food to go, order online at Fundamental. That way you can skip the line and head right to the pickup station just past the register.

Taste if Tehran didn’t do it for me. Granted, this was about a couple months or so after they opened, but the execution was horrible. Also, the offering of hummus was a sign that they might be reaching to a customer base who lumps together Persian cuisine with Mediterranean. Our family really enjoys hummus, so I ordered it. Regretfully, it was loose and bland. Are they worth another try?

I was actually wondering about Taste of Tehran myself. The few times I’ve been by, it seems like their business is decent enough. Was never driving by when I felt like a meal, so… Perhaps I’ll try it this coming wk and will let you know (and will give @Bigmouth’s rec a try, too).

How Mediterranean is hummus, BTW? I had always associated it w/ Greek cuisine until I actually visited Greece in 1999 and was given a quizzical look whenever I asked for it (got fava bean dip instead, which was lovely but not the same). Someone on my tour said that she thought hummus originated in Lebanon, so I think of it as being more Middle Eastern than Persian or Mediterranean (even though Lebanon borders the Mediterranean)…

I guess Mediterranean depends on one’s definition. I just call it out to include that general region that includes the Middle East. But yeah, Middle East then. Hummus is something I associate with Lebanon but also Egypt, Israel, and most of the Middle East, parts of North Africa and even Turkey.

Whatever the case, I don’t associate hummus with Persian cuisine. But it’s not to say Persian eateries won’t offer it - some do, and I’m assuming it’s because many patrons ask for it.

1 Like

Wiki indicates Cyprus for hummus as well - both Turkish and Greek Cypriots - for whatever that’s worth.

Yeah, hummus at Persian joints can be a red flag. I’ve seen it on a few menus, including Shamshiri. My suspicion is they’re trying to appeal more to vegetarians. I personally avoid it for precisely the reason you state.

Taste of Tehran falls in the G not G (good not great) category for me. I like the addas polo and the beef kobideh kebab, but it’s nothing to go out of your way for. I mentioned it mostly because of the novelty of the Top Chef connection.

However, I do give props to the owner for trying to break out of the traditional mold of Persian restaurants. The decor is bright and modern. And the portions are more reasonably sized than you often find at Persian places.

I like their approach and think more Persian places should follow their lead.

Great info and clarification - thanks.

Garlo’s Aussie pies today. Enjoyed it.

Bronzed Aussie @ DTLA still tops crust wise.

Shame meat pies are not ubiquitous in the U.S… Sometimes you just need something warm and hearty instead of a cold sandwich.

1 Like

Shophouse’s is not kidding about their spicy noodle, sure packs a punch with the Thai chili. Tasty and refreshing with the fresh Asian herbs.

So far Westwood village is like a large higher-end food court …