Westwood Village lunch options?

Have you tried Aussie Pie Kitchen?

They just opened up a new location in Hollywood (down the block from Jitlada), tempted to try.

Thanks for putting that on my radar! looks pretty good. Iā€™ll have to check it out one weekend soon!

Have been meaning to try it, will detour one of these days to their SM location. How do you find it?

I go to Mush Bakery down the street on Sunset for boreks.

I really like the SM one (Iā€™ve never been to the Hollywood one). Lamb might be a TOO gamey for my taste, though. Iā€™ve not tried Garloā€™s, so I canā€™t compare.

So that means thereā€™s at least 4 aussie pie places in LA/OC (Pie-Not, Aussie Pie Kitchen, Garloā€™s, and Bronzed Aussie). Maybe @Chowseeker1999 should do a report. :wink: Hee, hee.

BTW, your description of Westwood as a high-end food court is quite aptā€¦ And then thereā€™s the ACTUAL high-end food court at the Century City mall, if youā€™re in the mood for some fantastic people watchingā€¦

@CiaoBob have you been recently? OC Yamadaya is basically inedible these days.

Bella Pita on Westwood Blvd closed (not sure how long ago) so now there is only the one on Gayley.

And the sad thing is the food in Westwood seems better than it has been in recent years, it has been bad for a long time.

Oh, I think high-end food court is great for a college area (not joking).

I never knew the ā€œoldā€ Westwood. Seems like such a shame that things never picked up after the shooting(s?). :frowning: Who knows? Perhaps the Purple Line ext will helpā€¦ in like 20 yrs. ::sigh::

1 Like

@paranoidgarliclover no no, LOL. I nominate you to try out all these Aussie pie places. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hahahahahaha! So trueā€¦

I was actually at the WWV Shophouse last night myself. Couple of tips to enhance your meal. First, if you havenā€™t already, make sure to try the meatballs. Theyā€™re my favorite protein on the menu by far. Second, do ā€œhalf and halfā€ bowls. I like to combine half rice and half salad. I also sometimes get half green beans and half some other vegetable like collards.

Been about a year.

Stanā€™s Mondayā€¦

1 Like

When the more high end clothing stores went out in the late 80ā€™s and then the Bullockā€™s closed, I think that spelled the end for the more upscale eating establishments. Westwood in the 60ā€™s and 70ā€™s was a mixed bag. There was stuff that catered to the college kids, but there were lots of stores that appealed to, or were useful to the families that lived in the area. It just wasnā€™t movie theaters and a bunch of junky stores. Donā€™t know if Westwood will ever capture its past glory.

Here is my daily WW budget food lineup:

Ikeā€™s for sandwiches
Enzoā€™s
TLT
Fresh Corn Grill (worth the slight walk south of Wilshire and more expensive than the others)
800 Degrees
Lamonicas
Corner Bakery (not fantastic but occasionally go there to change things up)
Noodle Planet
In n Out
Fatburger

3 Likes

Great list! One minor quibble: I donā€™t think Fresh Corn Grill is more expensive than TLT or Ikeā€™s. Sandwiches at all three places are around $9-$10.

I always thought thatā€™s what burritos were for? =P

Lamonicaā€™s today. Quintessential college pizza fare, pizza, calzones, wings!

5 Likes

Thatā€™s good pizza right there.

2 Likes

Iā€™m [quote=ā€œAesthete, post:76, topic:2675ā€]
I always thought thatā€™s what burritos were for
[/quote]

Pies are more versatile IMO. The crust helps to preserve it. Carried some around for a couple of days while traveling in England, tasted fine when I reheated them. No dysentery or food poisoning :smile:. Try brown bagging a burrito down a coal mine ā€¦

3 Likes

Inspired by @wienermobile, breakfast today

7 Likes